2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we could see a Who-Dey/Who-Dat Super Bowl? B)

I don't want that. One, because the Saints are really good, and two, because we'd be entered into an argument over which team had the dumb saying first. I love who-dey and I say it all the time because it's more fun than saying "go bengals". Also, there's no easy way to abbreviate the Bengals nickname. Referring to them as the "B's" could work, but I don't like the way it sounds. I like calling them the "Stripes", but I don't see that ever catching on. So, we're stuck with who-dey as a quick and easy way to say "let's go Bengals". So, I love it, but it's dumb and so is "who-dat". If the Bengals played the Saints all we would hear for two weeks would be arguments about who rightfully gets to talk like a back-country hick.

My research has shown that who-dat is older than who-dey, but who-dey gained mainstream NFL attention before who-dat.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't want that. One, because the Saints are really good, and two, because we'd be entered into an argument over which team had the dumb saying first. I love who-dey and I say it all the time because it's more fun than saying "go bengals". Also, there's no easy way to abbreviate the Bengals nickname. Referring to them as the "B's" could work, but I don't like the way it sounds. I like calling them the "Stripes", but I don't see that ever catching on. So, we're stuck with who-dey as a quick and easy way to say "let's go Bengals". So, I love it, but it's dumb and so is "who-dat". If the Bengals played the Saints all we would hear for two weeks would be arguments about who rightfully gets to talk like a back-country hick.

My research has shown that who-dat is older than who-dey, but who-dey gained mainstream NFL attention before who-dat.

Yeah, that's pretty much where my research lead me, too. I think really the only time I use "Who-Dey" is on message boards. Of course, living in northwest Iowa, I don't have any Bengals fans to shout it towards.

.....and yeah, I couldn't imagine the Bengals message boards if that particular Super Bowl somehow happened. I know that if you tried to tell some of them you thought Who-Dat was around first, you would be labeled as a "hater" and not a "true fan". You should go there sometime and try to chat about uniforms, too. Comical.

Yeah, that's pretty much where my research lead me, too. I think really the only time I use "Who-Dey" is on message boards. Of course, living in northwest Iowa, I don't have any Bengals fans to shout it towards.

.....and yeah, I couldn't imagine the Bengals message boards if that particular Super Bowl somehow happened. I know that if you tried to tell some of them you thought Who-Dat was around first, you would be labeled as a "hater" and not a "true fan". You should go there sometime and try to chat about uniforms, too. Comical.

I've done that actually. I said I didn't like their current uniforms and I was labeled a heretic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Personally I don't care for the Who Dat chant because I feel it reinforces the (sometimes valid) stereotypes people hold of New Orleans and the South as backwards. Also, when I was a kid, the chant at games was simply "Go, Saints, Go!" I can still close my eyes and hear 81,000 voices yelling that in Tulane Stadium. Oh, wait, there was also "We want (name)!" The name was either Kilmer or Hargett, the starting and backup QBs, and they'd chant for whichever one wasn't in the game sucking at the time. :D

On a related note, nothing annoys me more than seeing TV/movie scenes supposedly set in New Orleans where the people have heavy Southern accents. Anyone who has spent 10 minutes in New Orleans knows the real accent sounds more like Brooklyn than Atlanta or anywhere else in the South. Calling it N'Awlins (as Chris Berman did about 500 times on MN Countdown) also grates on me because I lived there 17 years and don't recall anyone ever pronouncing it like that. It's New OR-luns, not N'Awlins, not New Or-LEENS (though oddly, Or-LEENS is how the name of Orleans Parish is pronounced), and certainly not New OR-lee-uns.

I also agree that while silly, both chants are fun at the stadium and as a quick exchange of greetings with other fans.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wow, that's sad that the Jags are still in a playoff spot as of today....That is NOT a good team.

Agreed, something wrong with the Jags making it and the Ravens being on the outside. Still the Titans are in a reasonable position to catch and pass the Jags.

Wait a second... Maurice Jones-Drew isn't a cornerstone for a good team...? Tell me what's different between this team and the one that beat the Steelers in the playoffs 2 years ago.

6fQjS3M.png

Wow, that's sad that the Jags are still in a playoff spot as of today....That is NOT a good team.

Agreed, something wrong with the Jags making it and the Ravens being on the outside. Still the Titans are in a reasonable position to catch and pass the Jags.

Wait a second... Maurice Jones-Drew isn't a cornerstone for a good team...? Tell me what's different between this team and the one that beat the Steelers in the playoffs 2 years ago.

That other team had Fred Taylor.

And better uniforms. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Honestly, I am not quite sure what it is, but the Jags just don't convince me this year. They have lost to teams like the 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals. Here is a complete list of the teams they have beaten this year; Houston, Tennessee, St Louis, Kansas City, New York Jets, and Buffalo. Notice whats missing from that list? Yes thats right, a team that has a winning record. To me they are a solid .500 team who have had an easy schedule who are hanging on to a playoff spot by their finger tips. Not an awful team, but not a good team either.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Honestly, I am not quite sure what it is, but the Jags just don't convince me this year. They have lost to teams like the 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals. Here is a complete list of the teams they have beaten this year; Houston, Tennessee, St Louis, Kansas City, New York Jets, and Buffalo. Notice whats missing from that list? Yes thats right, a team that has a winning record. To me they are a solid .500 team who have had an easy schedule who are hanging on to a playoff spot by their finger tips. Not an awful team, but not a good team either.

That said their final 5 games are:

Houston, Miami, Indianapolis, New England, Cleveland

Aside from the Browns, they'll be proven if they make the playoffs.

6fQjS3M.png

While we're contemplating playoff prospects and remaining schedules, here's Green Bay's to ponder:

Baltimore, @Chicago, @Pittsburgh, Seattle, @Arizona

Right now the Pack is 7-4, and have shown signs of improvement on both sides of the ball while winning their last three games. If the playoffs started today they'd be in as the #5 seed in the NFC. Going 4-1 the rest of the way (to finish 11-5) will almost certainly get them in. 3-2 probably will too, but is a lot dicier. Of the Packers' five remaining opponents, only the Seahawks look like a "sure" win. The others are all squarely in the "tough but beatable" category (yes, even the Bears, because the Packers have had trouble winning at Soldier Field in December the last couple of years). So Green Bay should finish at least 10-6 and be in the playoff hunt right to the end. 11-5 or even running the table to go 12-4 is also doable, but I'd be surprised if that happens, especially with a game in Pittsburgh in that mix.

CCSLC signature.png

While we're contemplating playoff prospects and remaining schedules, here's Green Bay's to ponder:

Baltimore, @Chicago, @Pittsburgh, Seattle, @Arizona

Right now the Pack is 7-4, and have shown signs of improvement on both sides of the ball while winning their last three games. If the playoffs started today they'd be in as the #5 seed in the NFC. Going 4-1 the rest of the way (to finish 11-5) will almost certainly get them in. 3-2 probably will too, but is a lot dicier. Of the Packers' five remaining opponents, only the Seahawks look like a "sure" win. The others are all squarely in the "tough but beatable" category (yes, even the Bears, because the Packers have had trouble winning at Soldier Field in December the last couple of years). So Green Bay should finish at least 10-6 and be in the playoff hunt right to the end. 11-5 or even running the table to go 12-4 is also doable, but I'd be surprised if that happens, especially with a game in Pittsburgh in that mix.

I think 11-5 is a possibility but The Ravens scare me, as you said the Pack never play well in Chicago come December, the Steelers are still the Steelers and with Kurt Warner the Cards can beat just about anyone and the Seahawks are just sad but the one thing with this team is if they keep Aaron Rodgers clean he and the Pack can do a lot of damage to anyone in this league.

10-6 should be enough to get a Wildcard birth but lets just hope the Giants don't decide to wake up and the Eagles end up passing the Cowboys for the Division lead but that Tiebreaker over the Cowboys could come in handy.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Personally I don't care for the Who Dat chant because I feel it reinforces the (sometimes valid) stereotypes people hold of New Orleans and the South as backwards. Also, when I was a kid, the chant at games was simply "Go, Saints, Go!" I can still close my eyes and hear 81,000 voices yelling that in Tulane Stadium. Oh, wait, there was also "We want (name)!" The name was either Kilmer or Hargett, the starting and backup QBs, and they'd chant for whichever one wasn't in the game sucking at the time. :D

On a related note, nothing annoys me more than seeing TV/movie scenes supposedly set in New Orleans where the people have heavy Southern accents. Anyone who has spent 10 minutes in New Orleans knows the real accent sounds more like Brooklyn than Atlanta or anywhere else in the South. Calling it N'Awlins (as Chris Berman did about 500 times on MN Countdown) also grates on me because I lived there 17 years and don't recall anyone ever pronouncing it like that. It's New OR-luns, not N'Awlins, not New Or-LEENS (though oddly, Or-LEENS is how the name of Orleans Parish is pronounced), and certainly not New OR-lee-uns.

I also agree that while silly, both chants are fun at the stadium and as a quick exchange of greetings with other fans.

I live on the northshore (if you're from New Orleans, you know what I mean) and to be honest, most people pronounce it New Wallens (sound it out) moreso than N'Awlins or New Or-LEENS. Am I right about that, BlueSky?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

That doesn't surprise me. Media portrayals of Southern accents almost uniformly suck, and the only people who actually talk like that are people from other parts of the country who are trying to imitate Southerners.

Sure MJD is a great cornerstone, but last I heard 1 player can't make a team good. Look at Calvin Johnson in Detroit last year.

A lot different than the '07 team...This Jags team has a terrible secondary (26th in pass D), David Garrard has regressed (He had a ridiculous 18/3 TD/INT ratio in '07...this year 8/6). They've been blown out by a terrible Seahawks team 41-0, barely squeaked past the Chiefs, Jets and Bills, and then got blown out 20-3 by the 49ers.

I'll be shocked if they get in over the Ravens, Steelers or even the Titans.

That doesn't surprise me. Media portrayals of Southern accents almost uniformly suck, and the only people who actually talk like that are people from other parts of the country who are trying to imitate Southerners.

You should see the media portrayals of Iowans. Ugh.

I live on the northshore (if you're from New Orleans, you know what I mean) and to be honest, most people pronounce it New Wallens (sound it out) moreso than N'Awlins or New Or-LEENS. Am I right about that, BlueSky?

Yes. The 'wallens' sounds a lot like 'aw'lins' but the main thing being there's always an enunciation of the 'new', it's not run together. "New OR-luns" is more accurate for people who have little to no accent, like me. Being an Army brat, I never picked up a regional accent.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Sure MJD is a great cornerstone, but last I heard 1 player can't make a team good. Look at Calvin Johnson in Detroit last year.

A lot different than the '07 team...This Jags team has a terrible secondary (26th in pass D), David Garrard has regressed (He had a ridiculous 18/3 TD/INT ratio in '07...this year 8/6). They've been blown out by a terrible Seahawks team 41-0, barely squeaked past the Chiefs, Jets and Bills, and then got blown out 20-3 by the 49ers.

I'll be shocked if they get in over the Ravens, Steelers or even the Titans.

Apparently, Brett Favre did/has.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived