ATL and MIL wearing Negro League Uniforms

JayJaxon

5496384a-c2fd-4659-99f7-e2aac4bcb780.jpg

2ccf5381-fca4-491e-a044-748f29bc4dc6.jpg

You ever notice how baggy throwbacks are? Then Again, a lot of players are wearing them like that these days.

It looks like the Brewers are wearing special helmet with them (I saw Kendall wearing a light blue helmet when he was catching), and the Braves are wearing their regular road helmet. It looks like the Brewers had their helmets sandpapered, presumably to represent the dull finish the original fiberglass batting helmets had.

EDIT: Only Kendall's catching helmet had the dull finish on it. Both the Brewers' and Braves' helmets are REAL shiny.

It looks like the Brewers are wearing special helmet with them (I saw Kendall wearing a light blue helmet when he was catching), and the Braves are wearing their regular road helmet. It looks like the Brewers had their helmets sandpapered, presumably to represent the dull finish the original fiberglass batting helmets had.

EDIT: Only Kendall's catching helmet had the dull finish on it. Both the Brewers' and Braves' helmets are REAL shiny.

I dont think that was the fiberglass that made it dull. i remember reading somewhere (probably uni-watch) that the yankees, if not other teams, covered their batting helmets with a fabric. i guess the objective was to make the helmets seem more like their caps. the wardrobe folks that worked on 61* did a great job of replicating them

go ahead and send this to the graveyard, someone else posted while I was in the process, damn you slow internet.

Better yet, I've merged them, since the second thread had a picture that wasn't in the other. Enjoy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Can anyone pinpoint the exact year that uniforms went from baggy pants to the tighter ones of today. I feel like it would be around 1970.

There is no exact year for this. Most teams switched to Double-Knit uniforms around 1970, and from there we saw a move into tighter uniforms. So if you wanted to put a year on it, '70-'71 would be your best bet. But of course the uniforms started getting baggy again in the '90's.

The Brewers' "Bears" uniforms kept reminding me of the Bad News Bears movie.

I kept expecting Ken Macha to down a couple of beers during the game, and J.J. Hardy to start picking fights with everyone....

I wish that would happen. The team needs some serious attitude and tenacity.

packchampionslfroh.png

I'm with him - the slightly baggy look is so much more preferable than skin-tight, pantyline-showing Danskins.

As for these uniforms, they mark the third different Bears throwback uniform the Brewers have worn. All from a team that couldn't even finish a single season, which makes me doubt that any of them are historically accurate.

Given that, I like the black-and-white pinstriped look the best.

Archived