New Houston Rockets Alternates '09 - '10

crajeec

I'm a big fan of the Rockets current identity. I like the red and silver together and think that the jersey design is very good. I took a few days before I commented on the alternates to let them set in because I usually have a slight change of mind after my first reaction of a uniform. But after a few days, I still don't really have a solid take on these. I think the red and yellow look pretty good together, but I've grown to like red and silver a lot. The design is pretty good too, but not better than the regular jerseys in my opinion. Yes it's good, but not as good as their home and road jerseys. So hopefully they just wear them a few nights a year for a good change of pace.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just give major props to the McDonalds marketing team for a second. Seriously, every time a team rolls out a red and yellow jersey or someone posts a concept with red and yellow everyone says it reminds them of McDonalds. That doesn't mean these jeresys are bad, it just means McDonalds is doing something right!

Just when I'm sick and tired of you jokers making a "MCDONALDS LULZ" post, this one goes and puts three of the same unfunny joke into one singular post. Congratulations.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Can I just give major props to the McDonalds marketing team for a second. Seriously, every time a team rolls out a red and yellow jersey or someone posts a concept with red and yellow everyone says it reminds them of McDonalds. That doesn't mean these jeresys are bad, it just means McDonalds is doing something right!

Just when I'm sick and tired of you jokers making a "MCDONALDS LULZ" post, this one goes and puts three of the same unfunny joke into one singular post. Congratulations.

So, is this a bad time for me to say, "I'm lovin' it?"

I saw, I came, I left.

These aren't nearly as bad as most people are making them to be. If they HAD to do the drop-shadowing, they should put some red inbetween the yellow and white. And I agree with BBTV that the wordmark and number colors should be reversed.

That said... these fall much more in line with what I think of when I hear "Houston Rockets." They haven't looked right to me since they moved away from the championship unis.

I would not be surprised to see teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Kings, Warriors, Nets and Mavericks (to name a few) go back to retro colors and/or logos. It's just the next big thing in the NBA. I don't know if I am a fan of it or not?!

Well it's already been rumored and confirmed that the Jazz are.

These aren't nearly as bad as most people are making them to be. If they HAD to do the drop-shadowing, they should put some red inbetween the yellow and white.

Yes, all crappy wordmarks need it, and this is an excellent example of it.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Just for Lee:

ZOMG! Deez Rockittz altz luk juss liek MicDonnals unaformz, mayn! ROTFLMAOBFFTTYLBBW!

Did Da Hamburgla an Grimmice cum up wit deez?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Don't get the rest of McDonaldland involved; they had other assignments.

newcastle%20fc%20apostrophe%20fight-thumb.jpg

Efforts to make the team crest read "robble robble robble" were shot down by ownership.

pat-williams-tackles.gif

Trying to obtain a milkshake any way possible, though the milkshake turned out to have banned substances.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess I'm not sure what you're saying. He makes a good point... If red and yellow automatically makes people think of McDonalds, then their marketing team IS doing a very good job. That is entirely different than the usual "MCDONALDS LULZ" posts.

I guess I'm not sure what you're saying. He makes a good point... If red and yellow automatically makes people think of McDonalds, then their marketing team IS doing a very good job. That is entirely different than the usual "MCDONALDS LULZ" posts.

In that case, shouldn't Taco Bell have a big problem with the new Rockets' alternates? They did take over as a sponsor of the NBA now over McDonald's lol

In that case, shouldn't Taco Bell have a big problem with the new Rockets' alternates? They did take over as a sponsor of the NBA now over McDonald's lol

That's actually really interesting.

For better or worse, it's undeniable that McDonald's essentially "owns" red and yellow. The previous poster was right, their marketing has been that good. If a competitor (like Taco Bell) were to take over the exclusive rights as "official crap fast food joint of the NBA", could they raise a stink with the league about one of its teams promoting a competitor? I understand that the Rockets aren't intentionally promoting McDonald's, but as everyone here has confirmed, many people think of McDonald's when they see those colors. I think that if Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. entered into an agreement with the league at a time when there were no red and yellow teams, they'd have a beef (no pun intended) if a team were to switch to those colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For better or worse, it's undeniable that McDonald's essentially "owns" red and yellow. The previous poster was right, their marketing has been that good. If a competitor (like Taco Bell) were to take over the exclusive rights as "official crap fast food joint of the NBA", could they raise a stink with the league about one of its teams promoting a competitor? I understand that the Rockets aren't intentionally promoting McDonald's, but as everyone here has confirmed, many people think of McDonald's when they see those colors. I think that if Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. entered into an agreement with the league at a time when there were no red and yellow teams, they'd have a beef (no pun intended) if a team were to switch to those colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I must be theonly one who doesn't automatically associate red and yellow with Mickey D's upon first sight. (But that's probably because I ain't had nothing from the Golden Arches in close to three years, I think.)

Nah...I see red and yellow, and the first think I think of is the Kansas City Chiefs.

Anyway, about these Rockets alts, the uniform design itself isn't bad. The wordmark isn't so bad either; rather, it's the treatment of the wordmark that's absolutely killing the whole thing for me. This is why: the stems and legs of the letters. The pointy-ness of them really doesn't jibe all that well when the whole wordmark is sheared like that, at least not to me, anyway.

And um, yeah--I think probably both the wordmark and number should be the same color. Either yellow with white shadow or the other way around, but not a reverse of each other.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

While I like the Rockets returning to red & yellow, the new jersey does nothing for me at all.

That being said, here's the real point of my post. I know this is not a novel thought around here, but it seriously boggles the mind that the American major professional leagues continue to use and pay for the services of so many no-talent hacks. There are certain members on this board who could come up with better designs in about 5 minutes worth of drawing on the back of a bar napkin.

Also, adidas continues to absolutely suck at anything and everything jersey-related.

That?s just plain and stupid. A team should be able to wear whatever colors they want, no matter who?s sponsoring the league.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Today was media day for the Rockets, so we'll likely have some promotional photos of the new alt pretty soon. Here's one for now. The Rockets had a "fan appreciation day" last week and showed off the new look:

*image*

See page 2 of this thread.

Archived