Jaguars considering playing some games in Orlando

B-Rich

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stan Kroenke is putting a fair amount of money into the Arsenal soccer club at the moment. I don;t know his financial means, can he support on his own 2 major sports franchises?

IIRC, Kroenke pretty much owns most of the Denver-based sports franchises (Avalanche, Mammoths, Nuggets, and Rapids) under Kroenke Sports Enterprises except for the Broncos and Rockies.

Coincidental to these discussions, espn.com is reporting that Rush Limbaugh and Dave Checketts are teaming up in an effort to purchase the Rams.

espn.com

Maybe they'll try to sign Donovan McNabb.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Coincidental to these discussions, espn.com is reporting that Rush Limbaugh and Dave Checketts are teaming up in an effort to purchase the Rams.

espn.com

Hmm would be fun watching that ownership team trying to comply with the Rooney Rule as well!!

Personally, I think Limbaugh would be an awful team owner. Not so much because of his politics more because of his ego.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tampa to Orlando is 85 miles, from city center to city center, but Kissimmee/Disney World is just 71 miles.

Jacksonville to Orlando is 162 miles. I'd have to say the Bucs would have a problem with this.

They might have a problem with it, but their territorial jurisdiction under the NFL's Constitution is key. Each NFL franchise has a 'territory' of 75 miles from the outer perimeter of the city they serve. Consequently, while Tampa to Orlando may be 85 miles, if the 75-mile radius from the outskirts of Tampa's city limits covers or touches the stadium in Orlando, Jacksonville can't do anything without the Bucs permission.

IF, HOWEVER, the 75-mile radius from Tampa doesn't cover the stadium, Jacksonville STILL could only play in Orlando with permission from the league's owners. The difference being that Tampa, in this case, couldn't outright veto the move.

I can't see the Jaguars leaving Orlando entirely except with an ownership change, but if that comes to pass they'll be headed for Los Angeles. The Rams are the more likely candidate to go there IMHO based on their lease, but the Jags could beat them to the punch. Other potential relocation sites for the Jaguars could include Toronto, or San Antonio (with a new facility being built after calling the Alamodome home for a few years).

Anyone know the latest on the Chargers status? Last I heard their lease in San Diego was about up and that they were eyeballing a return to Los Angeles as well. I'm imagining a weird scenario in which the Chargers move to L.A., the Rams to San Diego, and the Jaguars to St. Louis for some reason.

nav-logo.png

Stan Kroenke is putting a fair amount of money into the Arsenal soccer club at the moment. I don;t know his financial means, can he support on his own 2 major sports franchises?

IIRC, Kroenke pretty much owns most of the Denver-based sports franchises (Avalanche, Mammoths, Nuggets, and Rapids) under Kroenke Sports Enterprises except for the Broncos and Rockies.

Not to mention that his wife is one of the heirs to the Wal-Mart fortune. IIRC, Mrs. Kroenke's personal fortune alone is worth over $1.5 billion. Who knows how much of her own money is invested into the sports franchises.

As for the new L.A. Stadium, if Ed Roski can get through some of the last hurdles (one of the latest is a lawsuit from a group of citizens from one of the nearby cities), the stadium can break ground by next year. I think that if there's one who should really worry if a team moves to L.A. before they can get a chance are the San Diego Chargers. I know they done fine when the Rams (and Raiders) were here, but the Bolts have been so aggressive marketing to the L.A. market over the last several years, and any team moving to town will for sure cannibalize the Chargers' efforts.

That's a good point. The Chargers consider LA theirs, and they can't get a new stadium either. They have to be considered a possible LA contender.

espn.com

Hmm would be fun watching that ownership team trying to comply with the Rooney Rule as well!!

Personally, I think Limbaugh would be an awful team owner. Not so much because of his politics more because of his ego.

I expect either, or both, would be sufficient for the NFL to look elsewhere.

20070521013706sp21kroenxd9.jpg

"Heeeey. What's your name? Brandon? You like sports, Brandon? I have sports drinks in my car. Is your mom around?"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

espn.com

It is likely that signing or retaining free agents may become even harder for this team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Think about it....can his ego really be worse than Jerry Jones' or Dan Snyder's?

I think he'd be a good NFL owner. He's passionate at what he does, he is a fan of football, and whether you like his politics or not, the guy is successful at what he does. Isn't that what you want from a team owner...someone who's passionate about football and is successful?

espn.com

It is likely that signing or retaining free agents may become even harder for this team.

I doubt that very much. If the money is there, the players will come.

Living in Orlando i can tell you this...

The city has already approved renovations to the Citrus Bowl(awful out-dated facility), which is scheduled to begin by 2013(was supposed to be 2012). So if Mr. Weaver wants to go ahead and attempt this scenario of playing a handful of home games here in Orlando, I believe it would only be a matter of time(when the stadium is fully renovated) that they permanetly move to Orlando. CBS carries AFC games so when it comes to blackouts i'm sure they could work something out where FOX which carries NFC games could still go on thier way doing so with the Bucs in the Orlando area. The NFL has already told the City of Orlando that if they renovate the Citrus Bowl to NFL standards, Orlando would potentially become a Pro Bowl or Super Bowl-revolving site. I'm all for this potential relocation...Go Florida Jaguars!!!

Having lived in Tampa and who has my brother as a MCO resident and a TB season ticket holder, I can tell you this.

There is a lot of money still invested in Raymond James and the Bucs. Once someone became a season ticket holder, regardless of when they start, it takes them 10 seasons to get their PSL back from the team and as Ray Jay is not 10 years old, the team is getting tough in giving that money back, attempting to have it "carry over" into the next 5 or 10 years.

From a person who has read every book on stadium financing since "Playing the Field" was published, you all are just fooling your selves. The Citrus Bowl has only using tourist tax money for it to be upgraded, and we only hear from the stadium board manager that it "will be NFL-ready". Ready does not even close to being NFL standard, as leases go. With local taxpayer money going to the expansion (in-phases) to the Performing Arts Center with Disney money moving to just the Main Hall and to the new O-rena, the city of Orlando, who is responsible for the stadium still does not possess the money to do this on Weaver's timetable. Plus the Magic Arena will have Orange County money as well as the city dollars.

I don't know if either Checketts or Limbaugh has the funding to be the primary owner. I believe the rules state that groups are only allowed to a point--one member of the group has to hold some large share, but I don't know what size. Of course, in any case of group ownership, it would likely be less than the 40% Stan Kroenke already holds, so I don't know how the split has to be.

But assuming it somehow worked out and Limbaugh and Checketts were in charge of the team, I don't know if there'd be a group I could possibly have more confidence in.

Is Rush Limbaugh a blowhard? Certainly. Or he at least plays one on the radio. I've always thought that to some extent he knows his job as an entertainer and stretches things to appeal to his audience (or make his haters listen). But that's all besides the point anyways.

A wealthy, arrogant, football fan who has a mad desire to succeed? Sign me up please.

Further, in Dave Checketts short time with the Blues, he's turned around an organization that was helpless on and off the ice and created one of the most fan friendly organizations in all of professional sports and a true up and coming contender on the ice. He gets people who are good at their jobs and lets them do their job, while still interacting in the community to make a good name.

I would honestly LOVE to see that combination.

I don't know if either Checketts or Limbaugh has the funding to be the primary owner. I believe the rules state that groups are only allowed to a point--one member of the group has to hold some large share, but I don't know what size. Of course, in any case of group ownership, it would likely be less than the 40% Stan Kroenke already holds, so I don't know how the split has to be.

But assuming it somehow worked out and Limbaugh and Checketts were in charge of the team, I don't know if there'd be a group I could possibly have more confidence in.

Is Rush Limbaugh a blowhard? Certainly. Or he at least plays one on the radio. I've always thought that to some extent he knows his job as an entertainer and stretches things to appeal to his audience (or make his haters listen). But that's all besides the point anyways.

A wealthy, arrogant, prick who has a mad desire to succeed? Sign me up please.

Further, in Dave Checketts short time with the Blues, he's turned around an organization that was helpless on and off the ice and created one of the most fan friendly organizations in all of professional sports and a true up and coming contender on the ice. He gets people who are good at their jobs and lets them do their job, while still interacting in the community to make a good name.

I would honestly LOVE to see that combination.

Dave Checketts is the "sports name" which the NFL Owners will accept. Dave was with MSG, so he is known. He was a great negotiator in having Dolan give him so much money for a Cup in 1994. In reality, the money WILL come from Rush and others. The latest Limbaugh contract with Clear Channel will pay him REAL BIG MONEY!

From the WSJ when he signed his latest contract.

ClearChannel and Rush in 2008

"Conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh Wednesday inked an eight-year contract for around $400 million, underscoring how radio is spending big sums on bankable talent to compete in the crowded entertainment field.

Mr. Limbaugh's compensation of $38 million a year, plus a signing bonus of about $100 million is less in absolute terms than the five-year, $500 million contract Howard Stern cut in 2004 with Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. But Mr. Limbaugh's contract could net him more, as Mr. Stern must pay costs for his cast and production.

It's a big jump from Mr. Limbaugh's last contract, which at $285 million was a record for a radio personality when he signed it in 2001. Since then, the weekly audience for his three-hour midday show has held steady at about 20 million listeners, according to his syndicator, Clear Channel Communications Inc.'s Premiere Radio Networks. But advertisers are increasingly anxious to reach that audience.

Mr. Limbaugh's show also delivers revenue through ancillary businesses such as his "24/7" club that costs about $60 a year. Those businesses have grown substantially, a person familiar with the show said. For example, "24/7" members can watch video of the show live online and tap into a growing number of Internet-based frills."

A wealthy, arrogant, football fan who has a mad desire to succeed? Sign me up please.

While I agree with you on Rush largely playing a character, and that the traits you listed make him an enticing prospect for ownership, the guy is just far too toxic a public figure to be allowed in the club. Having the so-called "leader of the Republican Party" (I never bought this) even so much as considered for NFL ownership could polarize and mobilize a lot of people in what would be the wrong direction for the Rams. This would've been a dicey proposition when Rush was just a blowhard who liked stealing drugs and the Republicans were just vaguely "the bad guys" in the narrative. Now he's seen as the figurehead for the last remnants of the party, the theocrats, cryptofascists, and conspiracy theorists who still call themselves Republicans in 2009. It's bad news.

espn.com

I doubt that very much. If the money is there, the players will come.

The money is also elsewhere, and elsewhere doesn't have racist bigoted owners.

Look. Rush will drive people away, and at this point the last thing the franchise needs is for people, both players and fans, to be driven away.

Of course, given how things have played out in St. Louis since the mid-2000s, the answer to Hedley's question is that "yes, he will somehow be worse than Snyder and Jones."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While this is a JAX thread, here is the supposed STL timelime. I took the thread away since too many people refuse to find sport news by themselves (e.g. the Isles signing a lease then backing away from it last weekend tp explore other options).

February 1, 2012: ST. Louis CVC must deliver a preliminary plan for first-tier improvements.

March 1, 2012: Rams must notify CVC if they approve/disapprove of plan.

May 1, 2012: Rams must submit an alternate plan if necessary.

June 1, 2012: CVC must accept/reject Rams' alternate plan.

June 15, 2012: Matter goes to arbitration if CVC rejects Rams' plan.

Dec. 31, 2012: Arbitration must be completed

March 1, 2015: Rams are free to move if CVC does not agree with arbitrator's ruling.

While I agree with you on Rush largely playing a character, and that the traits you listed make him an enticing prospect for ownership, the guy is just far too toxic a public figure to be allowed in the club. Having the so-called "leader of the Republican Party" (I never bought this) even so much as considered for NFL ownership could polarize and mobilize a lot of people in what would be the wrong direction for the Rams. This would've been a dicey proposition when Rush was just a blowhard who liked stealing drugs and the Republicans were just vaguely "the bad guys" in the narrative. Now he's seen as the figurehead for the last remnants of the party, the theocrats, cryptofascists, and conspiracy theorists who still call themselves Republicans in 2009. It's bad news.

The NFL owners are wealthy folks. They probably support more of the conservative views than the liberal ones.

The only folks that view Rush as "toxic" are those that don't like him or his political views. The only way we know Rush is through his radio show, after all.....

It's not so much a matter of political accord so much as the public relations nightmare of "Rush Limbaugh wants to buy your football team, are you going to stand for this?"

Archived