New MLB BP Caps

Bmac

Practice uniforms look "interesting" because they're colorful. They're certainly not superior to good old white and grey jerseys, though.

See, that's where I disagree. One of the things I like about, say, the NFL is that every franchise tends to have very different uniforms and colors from the other. But in the MLB, pretty much every franchise wears white at home and gray on the road. I just find it boring, I suppose. I like how football and hockey standardize somewhat on the road, but really let teams wear whatever colors they want at home.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still throwing up in my mouth over the sight of Boston's new BP cap. I remember in '07 when the piping above the do-rag caps was blue on Boston's all-red home cap in the preliminary pictures, but the it turned out to be red, too. I'm praying someone in Sox nation comes to his senses and changes this god-awful cap to something a bit more bearable. The colors need to be uniform. I thought, finally, this would be the cap that would bring back the 1975-78 game caps of the past (even if it was just spring training and BP): a red crown, blue 'B' outlined in white, with a blue brim. Even if only the two front panels were red and the rest of the crown blue (like in 1974). Alas, it is not to be. MLB really missed the boat on this one. Why not incorporate elements of the past? Alternate logos? Piping around the entire crown or different colored front panels (like the 1970s)? One more question, though: Even as much as I dislike the Yankees, how would anyone from that organization agree that the team wears these new caps (and the 07-09's, as well)? How much say does each team have in this case? I've seen the Angels have even given up! AHHHHHHHHHH! I'll say it again: I still can't picture representatives from different ball clubs, MLB, and New Era sitting around a big round table and looking at this template on a slide show and saying: "Gosh darn, those are sharp caps, aren't they?"

::::hugs 2006 bp phillies hat:::: at least I have a normal looking one lol.

Yea I dont think I will buy a new one after all, the lines are silly looking. ALSO dont forget that theres that arch piping in the back aroun the mlb logo lol. So Happy I got the BP hat the year before they started screwin them up.

edit: Also forget what I said before, I put my bp hat on and it fits so comfy!

::::hugs 2006 bp phillies hat:::: at least I have a normal looking one lol.

Yea I dont think I will buy a new one after all, the lines are silly looking. ALSO dont forget that theres that arch piping in the back aroun the mlb logo lol. So Happy I got the BP hat the year before they started screwin them up.

Yeah, lucky for you that your team didn't change identities in 2008...

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

They're all HIDEOUS. 3930's in general, but especially these ones (I think the only ones I liked were the original ones released in 2003, the second overhaul and now this one even more are just utter disasters). As a Yankee fan when I saw the Yankees versions for this year I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

I'm surprised no teams colored in the side of the brim And the back of the back (really about 3/4) the hat the same color leaving the front of the hat and the top of the brim the same.

Not sure it would have made a good on-field cap, but the opportunity was there, and I'm surprised nobody went with it.

All of that sad, of the teams that didn't try to pretend the piping wasn't there (and I'm not complaining about that), I think the Orioles look the best.

so some of the mets had the new BP hats on during their mini camp today and after seeing some video, i have to say that they're a MAJOR improvement over the old version. obviously not ideal, but i really think seeing these on a player make them look much, much better IMO.

sig2024.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Red Sox Spring Training in Fort Myers, and I was the only fool there (players included) wearing the new BP cap. From what it looks like, the Sox aren't going to be wearing them any time soon. I was there for the first official workout for pitchers and catchers. Any other teams not wearing theirs?

Just a guess, but the Angels and Yankees have been curmudgeonly when it comes to new-fangled practice apparel. I know Moreno and Scioscia disapproved of something recently and chose to wear outdated BP stuff, much to the chagrin of their suppliers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just a guess, but the Angels and Yankees have been curmudgeonly when it comes to new-fangled practice apparel. I know Moreno and Scioscia disapproved of something recently and chose to wear outdated BP stuff, much to the chagrin of their suppliers.

Not just the BP stuff. The Angels resisted change to the new jackets too. Moreno doesn't buy into Majestic's or New Era's gimmicks.

The Yanks are barely more on board with the stuff, but just barely.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

1. There's some kinda wild hyperbole happening in this thread.

2. Not a single one of you has any reason to whine or pretend to complain about how your girlfriends/wives "make" you watch America's Next Top Model or Project: Runway. NO ONE.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I watched coverage of the White Sox and Cubs from spring training and the Cubs are wearing the new BP hats and the White Sox are wearing the regular game hat.

I have yet to see a photo with the White Sox using the new caps in spring training. Looks like they are taking a pass in spring training. Can't say I blame them... not a fan of the gray edges on the bill.

As far as the Cubs, I think I like them more after seeing them in action. So much better than the last version.

(Edited for clarity.)

Before you jump the gun on whether or not teams will be wearing the new stuff, remember that lots of teams have very specific uniform policies for spring training, and those policies include not wearing anything new or any of the BP stuff until the real season starts.

Almost everyone wears the new stuff when the season starts (except maybe the Angels).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Mariners have been wearing the new ones, and I think they look great. Of course, I've been wanting them to bring back the teal-brimmed hat as an alternate for awhile. I wish the BP hats didn't have that thick piping, though. Even though it's the same color as the rest of of the bill, it looks bad and really detracts from an otherwise attractive hat.

The Mariners have been wearing the new ones, and I think they look great. Of course, I've been wanting them to bring back the teal-brimmed hat as an alternate for awhile. I wish the BP hats didn't have that thick piping, though. Even though it's the same color as the rest of of the bill, it looks bad and really detracts from an otherwise attractive hat.

Agreed. I too am a big fan of the teal bill. Let's hope this is the beginning of them bringing it back.

Archived