United Football League

njmeadowlanders

So the UFL will be kicking off tonight at 9 PM Eastern on Versus w/ California @ Las Vegas. I'm at least A LITTLE interested to see how this works out. I think if marketed right it COULD potentially become a new "Minor League" for the NFL in due time...of course I could just as easily see it fall flat on it's face and suck.

It doesn't help that I haven't seen a single article/commercial on it anywhere...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't fully get the point of the UFL. Why is it there? But these upstart leagues never really work, just look at the USFL or XFL. If they wanted to set up a sort of minor league for Football, that might stand a chance and have some value, but isn'tthat kind of covered by Arena Football??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't fully get the point of the UFL. Why is it there? But these upstart leagues never really work, just look at the USFL or XFL. If they wanted to set up a sort of minor league for Football, that might stand a chance and have some value, but isn'tthat kind of covered by Arena Football??

The Arena League folded I believe. Also, the UFL will be using the full size field and pretty much the standard NFL rules with some minor changes (i.e. no Intentional Grounding, things like that) so it's closer to "real" football than the AFL was (is?).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Arena League folded I believe. Also, the UFL will be using the full size field and pretty much the standard NFL rules with some minor changes (i.e. no Intentional Grounding, things like that) so it's closer to "real" football than the AFL was (is?).

Yeah yeah I understand that. I suppose the Arena League's problems are why the UFL can exist, but I don't get its point really. Its never going to challenge the NFL, so is it kind of a minor league thing, or some somrt of shallow money making scheme? Hole thing just makes little sense to me.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah yeah I understand that. I suppose the Arena League's problems are why the UFL can exist, but I don't get its point really. Its never going to challenge the NFL, so is it kind of a minor league thing, or some somrt of shallow money making scheme? Hole thing just makes little sense to me.

Had the web been around in 1960 I'm sure someone would have been saying that about the American Football League. B)

My point being that while most new leagues fail, some make it in one form or another. I think the Browns and Colts started in alternate leagues. But your point is valid, it's unlikely this thing will last.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think it can work. They know they can't compete with the NFL and have stated that from the start. I really do think it can be a Minor League to the NFL for

a) undrafted college players

b )former solid NFL players who have been overlooked or coming off injuries (Jermaine Wiggins, Simeon Rice)

c) guys like JP Losman and Quinn Gray who could easily take a 2nd/3rd strong/practive squad job in the NFL but would rather start to showcase themselves in a chance to get back into an NFL GM's good books.

With the arena league, XFL, and NFL Europe all disappearing, I certainly think it has a chance to survive.

As long as they don't try to compete directly with the NFL (which is where the XFL & USFL failed), and fall into their niche as a minor league to the NFL (even though it could be argued that the FBS & FCS of NCAA Football is basically the minor league to the NFL :P), I could see them surviving. Plus, they aren't trying to be too big. As long as they go about this in the right way, they'll be alright.

Had the web been around in 1960 I'm sure someone would have been saying that about the American Football League. B)

My point being that while most new leagues fail, some make it in one form or another. I think the Browns and Colts started in alternate leagues. But your point is valid, it's unlikely this thing will last.

Point taken, although you could argue that the AFL did in fact fail given the merger into the NFL. (Although obviously the clubs survive!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah the Browns (and maybe the Colts and 49ers as well).

Just to be completely accurate.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Is this game going to be televised? If so, does anyone know what channel it will be on?

It'll be on Versus tonight. Most of the UFL games (Including the championship game) will be on that channel but there are a few games on HDNet.

I was looking at the rosters and was a little disappointed. It just looked like mostly NFL rejects. In that case, I don't really understand the point of the league. It would work better IMO if it was a league used to showcase players overlooked by the NFL. Otherwise it is just an inferior product. I'd much rather watch players like Graham Harrell and Timmy Chang than JP Losman and Brooks Bollinger.

I was looking at the rosters and was a little disappointed. It just looked like mostly NFL rejects. In that case, I don't really understand the point of the league. It would work better IMO if it was a league used to showcase players overlooked by the NFL. Otherwise it is just an inferior product. I'd much rather watch players like Graham Harrell and Timmy Chang than JP Losman and Brooks Bollinger.

In the future though, I see guys like Harrell playing in the UFL as opposed to the CFL.

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah the Browns (and maybe the Colts and 49ers as well) started in the All-America Football Conference.

Just to be completely accurate.

Just to be 100% completely accurate. :D

I deleted that part in my post because I didn't want to come off as nitpicky about the league name. Maybe I shouldn't have been as concerned about that. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think it can work. They know they can't compete with the NFL and have stated that from the start. I really do think it can be a Minor League to the NFL for

a) undrafted college players

b )former solid NFL players who have been overlooked or coming off injuries (Jermaine Wiggins, Simeon Rice)

c) guys like JP Losman and Quinn Gray who could easily take a 2nd/3rd strong/practive squad job in the NFL but would rather start to showcase themselves in a chance to get back into an NFL GM's good books.

With the arena league, XFL, and NFL Europe all disappearing, I certainly think it has a chance to survive.

Possibly, but they would have been better off doing it in the spring. Timing your kickoff weekend for the first week of baseball's playoffs and in the heart of NCAA season hurts viewership.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

games will be streamed online at ufl-football.com, for those who cant get versus/HDnet. I think the league could work, and hopefully they will play decent football. just dont expect NFL caliber.

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

They can succeed if they know there niche, that is post grad players that fell victim to the numbers game in the NFL and do not want to go to the CFL. Almost like taxi squad league. The players should not be trying to make a million, the owners should not even think of making a buck, and if they were smart they would price all kids tickets @ $5. The NFL and even FBS have priced families right out of the live game. But if they could make it so a family of 4 could go for under $50 they might just have something. I would give it a look for sure but I have Direct TV and they are having a pissing contest with Comcrap over the cost of Versus. Oh well.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived