United Football League

njmeadowlanders

Cool! I wonder what retread NFL coaches will they lure to their league next!

What do you expect? Anyone worth a damn in football has been in the NFL at one point or another, of course theyre going to go with coaches that have NFL experience. Seriously, you just dont grow coaches in a league that is in its infancy. If it lasts, yeah theyll have their own homegrown coaches, but right now ex-NFL coaches are all they can get. Not to mention no college coach with any experience is going to this league even if the NFL turns them down, theyll just look for another college job.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean it like that...but you're right, you don't "grow coaches" right away and the college guys probably wouldn't touch it. I am seriously interested in which 2 coaches the UFL is going to rescue from the coaching abyss.

However, there are a ton of ex-Arena League coaches available. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'd be more interested in this Los Angeles expansion if they hadn't rescheduled a game that was intended to be played there for Las Vegas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Steve Spagnuolo? Raheem Morris?? Eric Mangini??? :P

Dick Jauron, I hope.

Jim Zorn?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Steve Spagnuolo? Raheem Morris?? Eric Mangini??? :P

Dick Jauron, I hope.

Jim Zorn?

I dunno - this league kinda has standards. :D

Anyway, I hope this talk of growth is legit, and that it's a sign the league's philosophy of starting small with low expectations is working. Then there's the part of me that remembers the XFL was touting Washington and Detroit as potential expansion markets.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I'm taking odds.

UFL doesn't make it out of the new year: 8-1

UFL doesn't make it out of April, 2010: 2-1

UFL doesn't make it out of August, 2010: 5-1

UFL starts season 2010, but doesn't finish: 10-1

UFL completes season 2010: 30-1

UFL completes season 2011: 200-1

And I didn't realize that they're looking at Union Field for a team. Unless they have Jon Bonjovi as an owner, I can't see them selling out that stadium, either, and that only seats around 18,000.

philly.png

I don't understand how they could lose 2.3 million a game. Was there really that much money sunk into this thing?

They didn't actually lose 2.3 million per game. That's just the per-game breakdown of the 30M that they lost total. Each individual game may or may not have actually made money, but their startup costs and financing cost them 30M more than they made. I don't think this is too uncommon of a thing in the business world, it's just magnified here because of the unique nature of a sports league vs. say opening up a coffee shop or book store.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't understand how they could lose 2.3 million a game. Was there really that much money sunk into this thing?

They didn't actually lose 2.3 million per game. That's just the per-game breakdown of the 30M that they lost total. Each individual game may or may not have actually made money, but their startup costs and financing cost them 30M more than they made. I don't think this is too uncommon of a thing in the business world, it's just magnified here because of the unique nature of a sports league vs. say opening up a coffee shop or book store.

I suppose $30 million is staggering. However, that's nothing compared to MLS, which lost more than $350 million between 1996 and 2004, according to a report by BusinessWeek released that year.

Article.

I suppose $30 million is staggering. However, that's nothing compared to MLS, which lost more than $350 million between 1996 and 2004, according to a report by BusinessWeek released that year.

Article.

And you could say that MLS is enjoying its own little success right now, so I still think there's a few years more for the UFL. Unlike a lot of leagues, they've kind of seen financial losses coming. They are also considering leaving NFL markets (the NY Sentinels franchise may move to Hartford) and focusing on non-NFL/non-potentially-NFL (i.e., Los Angeles) markets. I'm confident that they will not only be around another year or two, but at least complete two more seasons.

I think the league's management approach is that survival is key; they were planning on competing with the NFL, though now they could consider being a developmental/minor league if that means they stay around and serve non-NFL markets. I think that this is a wise move, considering that there are a lot of football leagues that haven't even gotten off the ground (AAFL, UNGL, AF1, etc.) or have folded (AFL).

Article.

And you could say that MLS is enjoying its own little success right now, so I still think there's a few years more for the UFL.

Yes, the MLS is on far more stable ground than it was a decade ago.

Unlike a lot of leagues, they've kind of seen financial losses coming. They are also considering leaving NFL markets (the NY Sentinels franchise may move to Hartford) and focusing on non-NFL/non-potentially-NFL (i.e., Los Angeles) markets. I'm confident that they will not only be around another year or two, but at least complete two more seasons.

I think the league's management approach is that survival is key; they were planning on competing with the NFL, though now they could consider being a developmental/minor league if that means they stay around and serve non-NFL markets. I think that this is a wise move, considering that there are a lot of football leagues that haven't even gotten off the ground (AAFL, UNGL, AF1, etc.) or have folded (AFL).

Will the shift from NFL markets to non-NFL markets help or hinder the UFL in the long-haul? In the article that you've linked, it mentions that San Antonio and Omaha are the front-runners for expansion teams.

You start throwing UFL teams in traditionally strong minor-league markets, it has a chance to be a mildly successful second-tier football league.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Will the shift from NFL markets to non-NFL markets help or hinder the UFL in the long-haul? In the article that you've linked, it mentions that San Antonio and Omaha are the front-runners for expansion teams.

If done right, it will help. As one from Utah, I'm holding out hope that Salt Lake is in for 2010 (not on top, but on the league's radar since almost the beginning). It could really be a good market.

Archived