Yet ANOTHER New Team Colors Format

TruColor

Ever since I started producing these Team Colors swatch images/reports from my database, I have never been 100% behind the format. Part of the problem is in having the color swatches listed vertically...and since these things are produced from MS Access reports, I've been a bit at a loss as to how to display colors in a format that I DO like.

After playing around the last couple of days, I have come up with a new format that I think just might work. Here's an example of the "old" report:

SaltLakeStingers_FRCold_2005_SOL_SR.png

...and here's the new format:

SaltLakeStingers_FRCnew_2005_SOL_SR.png

I still have some modifications to do on this one, but I think I much prefer the "horizontal" approach. What do you guys think?

Any and all comments, suggestions, et al would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I started producing these Team Colors swatch images/reports from my database, I have never been 100% behind the format. Part of the problem is in having the color swatches listed vertically...and since these things are produced from MS Access reports, I've been a bit at a loss as to how to display colors in a format that I DO like.

After playing around the last couple of days, I have come up with a new format that I think just might work. Here's an example of the "old" report:

SaltLakeStingers_FRCold_2005_SOL_SR.png

...and here's the new format:

SaltLakeStingers_FRCnew_2005_SOL_SR.png

I still have some modifications to do on this one, but I think I much prefer the "horizontal" approach. What do you guys think?

Any and all comments, suggestions, et al would be greatly appreciated.

I like the new format as well.

I like the format, but not the font. For some reason, Univers looks like it's pixellating or something when you make these graphics.

I think you should use Interstate...it has more weights, but is very easy to read.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I like the format, but not the font. For some reason, Univers looks like it's pixellating or something when you make these graphics.

I think you should use Interstate...it has more weights, but is very easy to read.

It's MS Access. Damn Microsoft. I'll post an example later, but Interstate looks even worse.

I'm on the latest version of Access (2007)...I might need to wait for the next version, or convert this to a Crystal Reports report, but I think Crystal does the same thing.

After playing around the last couple of days, I have come up with a new format that I think just might work.

I think Edward Tufte would agree that you've just about nailed it with the new format. Not only does it almost maximize information density within the display, it allows for much better viewer understanding of the relationships among the team's colors.

Two suggestions, one real and one an admitted pipe dream:

1. Consider eliminating the "paint chip" outlines. You're already outlining each color swatch; the outer outlines serve no communicative purpose, but they do add color values to the page that are not part of the color and scheme information you're trying to convey. They're noise, and don't belong.

2. Here's where I ask for the impossible. What about scaling the color swatches in proportion to the color's actual percentage use in either a team's logos or uniforms or some combination of both? Obviously, it would be insane to expect even someone as multitalented as you to actually calculate the color-use ratios for every team, but still, I think this is the logical next step for displaying your information.

Here's an example depicting the color-use ratios of the world's flags.

20082614447.png

I like the old, smaller swatches with the names in all caps much better, but I also like the horizontal format better, and I agree that there needs to be more space in between the rows.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived