Buccaneers wearing throwbacks to the 79 NFC Central Champs

Claystation360

I cannot believe why to waste such an unique scheme (florida orange & red). The new unis are cool, but red jerseys are really abused in pro sports.

As a Bucs fan since the '80s, I'd love a permanent return of the orange uniforms (I think I'm the last straight man on Earth to love Bucco Bruce logo... btw, a white helmet with the red flag and red/orange vertical stripes could be OK, too).

^_^

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the deal on the jerseys. These jerseys were the original orange jerseys from the 1976 season. They only worn them once, a pre-season game against Miami. They wore the white jerseys at home and on the road the rest of the year. As a kid, I wrote the team a letter and ask them why they never wore the orange as I really like the shade. They replied by saying fans sitting high up in the stands could not make out the numbers on the orange clearly. They "redesigned" the jersys so the numbers would show up better on the orange for the 1977 season along with switching to red numbers on the white jerseys. Yes, the jerseys yesterday were "a lighter shade of orange" than in the latter part of the 70s and 80s. They "darken" the light orange slightly after the 76 season. If you noticed the shade of orange jerseys the 1979 team players were wearing was a darker orange than the team wore on the field yesterday which was historicly correct. The numbers were screen printed and the orange striped socks were what they worn in 1976. The team will wear the throwbacks again for at least one game a year over the next 5 years as required by the league.

Where is this documented? I can think of several throwback jerseys that were worn as one-game / one-season deals (the Eagles yellow/light blue comes to mind).

I understand saying that if you come out with a new jersey, you can't come out with another new one for five seasons, but not a rule that states that you have to actually wear it. I'd love to see what the actual rule is regarding this. It's been brought up several times on the boards before, and so far, it's all just hearsay.

I can't believe how scared some people seem to be about the fact the team may actually wear the 76 orange jerseys again in the future....Its not that their switching to them full time, its just an alternate. If you have an alternate, you should wear them at least once a year, if not more. What's the point of having them if you are just going to wear them once ? And whats wrong with the shade of orange ? The University of Tennessee wears the same shade and no one seems to complain about that. I really don't think its the orange but rather the orange shade being associated with a pirate really doesn't work but the pastel orange does seem the fit the warm sunny climate of Florida.

Whoa - easy there. Remember, I'm the #1 proponent of the green Seahawks jersey, so I ain't scared of nothin'. Just disputing a statement that often gets presented as fact, even though there's no evidence to back it up. I couldn't care less if they wear them for five years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these uniforms. I wish they'd switch back to them full time.

Great photos on that link posted a few pages back.

WOW...(another) Doug Williams fan!

Pictures071.jpg

Of course, I'm a big fan of his playing days when he wore #17. ;)

87Redskins.png

Here's the deal on the jerseys. These jerseys were the original orange jerseys from the 1976 season. They only worn them once, a pre-season game against Miami. They wore the white jerseys at home and on the road the rest of the year. As a kid, I wrote the team a letter and ask them why they never wore the orange as I really like the shade. They replied by saying fans sitting high up in the stands could not make out the numbers on the orange clearly. They "redesigned" the jersys so the numbers would show up better on the orange for the 1977 season along with switching to red numbers on the white jerseys. Yes, the jerseys yesterday were "a lighter shade of orange" than in the latter part of the 70s and 80s. They "darken" the light orange slightly after the 76 season. If you noticed the shade of orange jerseys the 1979 team players were wearing was a darker orange than the team wore on the field yesterday which was historicly correct. The numbers were screen printed and the orange striped socks were what they worn in 1976. The team will wear the throwbacks again for at least one game a year over the next 5 years as required by the league.

Where is this documented? I can think of several throwback jerseys that were worn as one-game / one-season deals (the Eagles yellow/light blue comes to mind).

I understand saying that if you come out with a new jersey, you can't come out with another new one for five seasons, but not a rule that states that you have to actually wear it. I'd love to see what the actual rule is regarding this. It's been brought up several times on the boards before, and so far, it's all just hearsay.

I can't believe how scared some people seem to be about the fact the team may actually wear the 76 orange jerseys again in the future....Its not that their switching to them full time, its just an alternate. If you have an alternate, you should wear them at least once a year, if not more. What's the point of having them if you are just going to wear them once ? And whats wrong with the shade of orange ? The University of Tennessee wears the same shade and no one seems to complain about that. I really don't think its the orange but rather the orange shade being associated with a pirate really doesn't work but the pastel orange does seem the fit the warm sunny climate of Florida.

Hey, if they want to wear these once or twice a year as alternates I don't mind. I'm just saying they shouldn't (and won't) become the primary set.

Pictures071.jpg

Looks like someone is showing some love for Dilfer.

Pictures071.jpg

Looks like someone is showing some love for Dilfer.

No way, that's Doug Williams!

87Redskins.png

Pictures071.jpg

I nominate this for post of the day due to the sheer fact that this is the coolest thing I've seen all week. Maybe even this month.

Archived