Around the NBA

Carter23

I love that the Magic's throwback even has the gold NBA logo from the 50th anniversary season. THAT is attention to detail. :D

It?s not the 50th Anniversary NBA logo, it?s the Hardwood Classic NBA logo.

Now THAT is attention to detail. I was going to point that out too. :D

But but but but but but but but wait, I thought that the Hardwood Classic logo was the NBA logo with a bit of a dark fade to it (the red is a little maroon, the white is creamish, & the blue was navy)...guess I was wrong. Still looks nice, though.

What you are describing is the Hardwood Classic logo, which is different from the 50th Anniversary NBA jersey logo you mentioned. That logo was a shiny gold outline of the NBA logo without any red or blue.

Here's the differences between all three.

NBA_Logos.png

016906249691315f55cd48fd7859b8dd-getty-90041112fm077_knicks_magic.jpg

Well I'll be damned, it was the Hardwood Classic logo. I thought it was the 50th anniversary logo.

And, that Hawks logo is fan-made, IIRC. If anybody's selling merchandise with that logo, they're bootleggers. :P

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me but I hate the Cavs current unis and love those 80's versions. Maybe it's because thats the era I grew up watching basketball?

I like the current Cavs look for two reasons, a unique colour scheme that looks great and the fact that for the first time since the team's first identity the logo set is actually attempting to convey what a "Cavalier" actually is. A Cavalier being the nickname assigned to the troops loyal to Charles I during the English Civil War that pitted the King against Oliver Cromwell and the Parliamentary armies, known as "Roundheads." The rumour I've heard is that the Cleveland NBA team was named after the loyalist forces because after Cromwell and Parliament won the war many Cavaliers fled to what is now Ohio.

Anyway the current logo set that includes swords and flags does a much better job of representing the name "Cavaliers" then either the 80's or 90's marks.

"CAVS" spelt out with the V as a net with a ball going through it? What does that have to do with what a Cavalier is?

Add another Uniform to the Cavaliers wardrobe... or is it going to be CAVS? Tonight they are wearing either a pink uniform (or a uniform with pink) to support Breast Cancer Awareness.

CAVS in Pink

Headline: Fans and Players will be "In the Pink" to "Box Out Breast Cancer" at Cavs vs. Chicago Bulls Game Friday Night at The Q

Why was that put in quotations? Is that supposed to be funny? Or am I the only person that read way to much into that?

Maybe it sounds like "In the Paint"? Boxing out, in the paint...I don't know. Maybe they are making the paint Pink. Their hardwood/fan games have recolored floors apparently, so why not?

Wait, the Cavs recolored their floor for the Hardwood Classic games?

Nevermind, it was just that one picture going around from the game the other night that really looked like it. Upon further review; I was wrong. My bad.

I'm probably one of few, but I loved the Cavs late 90's/early 2000's jerseys. Maybe because I grew up watching them play in those jerseys...and I loved the logo too, it was so simple. I have so much merchandise with this logo on it from when I was real young.

lg_davis_all.jpg

Looks great in my opinion.

T1oYViW.png

I loved those black-orange-light blue Cavs unis, too, selby, but I've been a sucker for those kinds of "Blue Jays" numbers since wearing them constantly in my youth for soccer.

I also like the unique color scheme, but I like the current Cavs look for that reason as well. It's too bad so many teams look alike when there are interesting options out there.

I love that black Magic jersey as well. But the again I think the Bulls black alt should bring back the red pinstripe and Bulls wordmark and revert the red road to the Chicago script.

Speaking of pinstripes, the reason I entered this thread is to share this random observation: Watching ESPN's NBA doubleheader last night, they broke in with several Nets-Bobcats highlights. And each time I thought the Nets had broke out their old gray "New Jersey" road jerseys as some sort of slumpbuster. It wasn't until the final update with close-up celebration shots that I realized who was who.

IceCap,

The Cavs spelled out with the V as a net and a ball going through has more to do with basketball than a British loyalist. BTJMO.

The team isn't the Cleveland Basketball Team. It's the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the current identity fits with the team's name while previous two did not.

hey guys,this is my first post here!

93943218.jpg

93972108.jpg

maybe for your second post, you can post in the correct thread

just kidding! welcome to the board

those look good... much more distinct than the generic font and colors that half the league uses on their current unis

Has anyone ever seen this Hawks logo?

atl1-3.jpg

I have. I think it's made it onto some merchandise...not sure, I just know I've seen it before.

It is being used as the Hawks main logo at a site I used often for quality pictures. I was looking for some Thrashers pics and came across this logo and knew I had never seen it before.

I'm probably one of few, but I loved the Cavs late 90's/early 2000's jerseys. Maybe because I grew up watching them play in those jerseys...and I loved the logo too, it was so simple. I have so much merchandise with this logo on it from when I was real young.

lg_davis_all.jpg

Looks great in my opinion.

Man, I loved this identity as well. Black, light blue, and orange. FANTASTIC colors. The only way that this old set wasn't superior to the Cav's current stuff is the lack of any elements in the logo besides a ball and net. Of course, the Cavs had a history of that, so it was still ok.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

The Blazers wearing the uniforms from my youth:

94054757_10.jpg

I was a Blazers fan BEFORE they got Walton (Sidney Wicks, Geoff Petrie, et al). That '76-'77 team was the first team that I followed that won a league championship. I saw those original unis live at least twice.

The Blazers wearing the uniforms from my youth:

94054757_10.jpg

I was a Blazers fan BEFORE they got Walton (Sidney Wicks, Geoff Petrie, et al). That '76-'77 team was the first team that I followed that won a league championship. I saw those original unis live at least twice.

Great uniforms, almost as equaled by the cushioning on the ref's kicks.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Yeah, those are so cool. I'd be in favor of a return to something in this style, because of how progressive and unique it is. Perfect for Portland.

Those Timberwolves jerseys are awful, though. Not enough contrast between the blue and green. They had the same color scheme as the Mavericks for a while. Haha.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Man, I loved this identity as well. Black, light blue, and orange. FANTASTIC colors. The only way that this old set wasn't superior to the Cav's current stuff is the lack of any elements in the logo besides a ball and net. Of course, the Cavs had a history of that, so it was still ok.

Objectively, that set was kind of nice, but the set immediately before that was so bad, it was hard to see the black/light blue as anything but a mild improvement from an atrocity.

I grew up with the orange/blue, but I think the wine/gold was a good move and a much better identity. That mid90s look had the worst logo ever...in the 80's, at least the ball/net was the V in Cavs, even if had nothing to do with Cavaliers themselves; once they made it just an abstract ball in a net, they stripped away the element that was the only connection at all to the team name. (Kind of like the current Pistons logo going from a ball that is also a piston, to just a ball with a wordmark!)

Blazers' look is very cool, and I agree about how progressive it is. Not sure how I feel about the Jazz in green. The Houston and 80's Cleveland looks, as stated, are rather bad. And the Magic retro is solid.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived