Best American NHL Player

KevinMcD

I saw this brought up in a Sabres Board. They were making a case for Patty LaFontaine, which I can sort of understand, but because of his concussion problems we will never know how much better he could have been. Other names brought up were Mike Modano, Chris Chelios, Phil Housley, Keith Tkachuk, and Jeremy Roenick.

Who, in your opinion, is the best American NHL player of all time?

saBS.png

Brian Leetch was rather accomplished...

Yeah and overrated as hell.

A Calder Trophy, two Norris Trophies, a Stanley Cup, a Conn Smythe Trophy, over 1,000 points in his career, an Olympian, 10-time All Star.

Sure says overrated to me!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Brian Leetch was rather accomplished...

Yeah and overrated as hell.

A Calder Trophy, two Norris Trophies, a Stanley Cup, a Conn Smythe Trophy, over 1,000 points in his career, an Olympian, 10-time All Star.

Sure says overrated to me!

Nobody never said he wasn't good, sparky. Of course he was a good player, but overrated? Hell yes. But god forbid you tell a Rangers fan that, or even someone like you with your bestest, most profound and unequivocally great knowledge of the game.

Allow me to run some information by you.

Giving Leetch the Conn Smythe Trophy was a joke. It should have went to Messier in '94. Messier made the guarantee against New Jersey and got a hat trick in that game (all in the 3rd period, mind you.) If not Messier, then it should have went to Richter. Richter was phenomenal throughout the playoffs and stopped Bure on the penalty shot.

Leetch was named captain in 1997 and held that position through 2000. The Rangers made the playoffs ZERO times during that span. Good players and good captains can get even crappy teams into the playoffs. In fact, what did Leetch do without Messier? Not much. (And by the way, Messier's second stint with the Rangers never should have happened.) Leetch didn't even make the playoffs with the Rangers after the 1996-97 season.

The better defenseman of Leetch's era was Ray Bourque (yes Bourque isn't American, but I'm comparing the two here regardless of nationality.) Bourque got his Bruins teams into the playoffs way more than Leetch's Rangers. Bourque did more with less, while Leetch's teams had the likes of Messier, Graves, Kovalev, Richter, (later) Gretzky, et al. and had that one year where it all came together in 1994.

For some reason Brass thinks that I implied that Leetch was a bad player. No, fool. Leetch wasn't bad. In fact he was good. But overrated? Damn straight.

Pfft, what did Messier do without Leetch? Nothing. Absolute disaster of a player in Vancouver, Messier's teams never made the playoffs. Even as the so-called "greatest leader in sports" he was unable to do anything to get the team into the playoffs, fractured a dressing room and acted like a primma-donna dangerously out of touch with reality.

But yeah, on topic, it's Chelios.

George Parros :P

But no seriously,

Mike Modano

I've seen this guy beat the Ducks on more occasions than I can remember from any other player. I hate his guts, but you have to respect the guy as one of the greats in the game.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Winning games against Anaheim is hardly my criterion for greatness, but okay.

Ha... Ha...

What I'm saying is, I've seen him plenty of times and seen him do some crazy stuff. And the only time I watch Stars games are when they play the Ducks, like tonight. So my only experiences watching him would be against the Ducks and in the Olympics.

So I'm just sayin, out of all the players that have killed the Ducks in the past, I've seen Modano do it more times than not, and when the Ducks do play the Stars, Modano is usually the one to win it for the Stars in a close one.

and admirial, I know you love being a pompous, sarcastic ass, but whenever I post about the Ducks, you don't need to go out of your way to disparage them, ya know.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Brett Favre, for sure!!!!11

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived