Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

5 hours ago, MiK said:

That's... huh?

ASU and Arizona are very similar in terms of endowment, stadiums, even athletic performance. Academics is where they differ the most; ASU not being an AAU member. However, ASU out earns UA (all three of them actually) from athletic revenue so this is just odd.

I agree. I would think they would want both UA and ASU, not to mention the fifth largest market in the US. Both schools have been in the same conference together since 1931. I cant see them splitting up now.

Signature intentionally left blank

9 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I agree. I would think they would want both UA and ASU, not to mention the fifth largest market in the US. Both schools have been in the same conference together since 1931. I cant see them splitting up now.

I don't know the Arizona legislature, but do they have the same thing as some other states where one school can't go to another conference without the other?

5 hours ago, McCall said:

I don't know the Arizona legislature, but do they have the same thing as some other states where one school can't go to another conference without the other?

I think Montana being one of these states is the key reason why the Griz never moved up to FBS in their program's juggernaut days (because no conference was willing to also take Montana State).

bYhYmxh.png

13 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I think Montana being one of these states is the key reason why the Griz never moved up to FBS in their program's juggernaut days (because no conference was willing to also take Montana State).

Same could possibly be said for both Dakota states with the 4 major public Dakota schools (despite some of them having recent success, with NDSU football as a prime example), or even Idaho, hence the UofI had to downgrade back to the FCS.

But back to Montana, at one point, the schools from that state (as well as Idaho) played with the schools in the Pacific Northwest (mostly who are now in the Pac-12), and competed at one time within the same conference. Times had changed since the 1960s

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

I'm going to Winona State in the fall this year, in the same NSIC that UMN-Duluth, St. Cloud and Mankato are. I'm honestly torn on if I think they should try to move up to D1. I'll be one of 6,500-ish students there, which is enough to field a competitive D1 program, but the athletics facilities aren't quite up to key IMO.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

Hearing more rumors of the ACC falling apart now.  North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Miami to the Big Ten. North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh and Louisville to the Big 12. Florida State and Clemson to the SEC. I can see a few of these happening but not all.  Its hard to get out of the ACC but If I heard correctly if 8 or more schools bolt that ACC deal becomes null and void. These realignment rumors are getting crazier.

Signature intentionally left blank

On 4/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, jlog3000 said:

Same could possibly be said for both Dakota states with the 4 major public Dakota schools (despite some of them having recent success, with NDSU football as a prime example), or even Idaho, hence the UofI had to downgrade back to the FCS.

But back to Montana, at one point, the schools from that state (as well as Idaho) played with the schools in the Pacific Northwest (mostly who are now in the Pac-12), and competed at one time within the same conference. Times had changed since the 1960s

Idaho didn't go FCS because the government said they have to be the same conference as Idaho State. lol If anything, the government would just say they had to be the same conference as Boise State. Idaho moved down due to performance, a misguided thought they could dominate FCS, and an inability to increase the capacity of Kibbie.

• Like 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 4/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, Dilbert said:

Hearing more rumors of the ACC falling apart now.  North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Miami to the Big Ten. North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh and Louisville to the Big 12. Florida State and Clemson to the SEC. I can see a few of these happening but not all.  Its hard to get out of the ACC but If I heard correctly if 8 or more schools bolt that ACC deal becomes null and void. These realignment rumors are getting crazier.

There are no rumors, just bs thrown out by fanboys of Big 12 teams.

• Like 3

Basically. The only part of that that's true is the 8 teams. You basically need more than half to dissolve the GOR. The current consensus in the media and fans is that the GOR is rock solid without the 8 teams all agreeing but there's always someone willing to try and billable hours are undefeated.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Basically. The only part of that that's true is the 8 teams. You basically need more than half to dissolve the GOR. The current consensus in the media and fans is that the GOR is rock solid without the 8 teams all agreeing but there's always someone willing to try and billable hours are undefeated.

Schools like NC State, Pitt, VT and Louisville aren't going to dissolve the GOR to downgrade the conference they're in, the only way they'll reach 8 is if the B1G and/or SEC take 8.

10 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

Schools like NC State, Pitt, VT and Louisville aren't going to dissolve the GOR to downgrade the conference they're in, the only way they'll reach 8 is if the B1G and/or SEC take 8.

Big 12 is not below the ACC. Basically the two conferences are on par with each, both below the Big Ten/SEC. (The Pac-12 is either on par with the Big 12/ACC or at least close to being a step below). Obviously, this is all relative to Power 5 conferences. None are on the level of Group of 5.

So if Louisville, who technically sued when the Big 12 passed them up for West Virginia, ended up in the Big 12, I think they'd be willing to do whatever it took if it appeared the ACC was on the verge of dismantling.

23 minutes ago, McCall said:

Big 12 is not below the ACC. Basically the two conferences are on par with each, both below the Big Ten/SEC. (The Pac-12 is either on par with the Big 12/ACC or at least close to being a step below). Obviously, this is all relative to Power 5 conferences. None are on the level of Group of 5.

So if Louisville, who technically sued when the Big 12 passed them up for West Virginia, ended up in the Big 12, I think they'd be willing to do whatever it took if it appeared the ACC was on the verge of dismantling.

Once Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12 is a step below the ACC, it's the Island of Misfit Toy's of conferences. The ACC isn't anywhere near "dismantling" and it's more likely the ACC would raid the Big 12 if schools like Clemson or FSU left.

Just now, Luigi74 said:

Once Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12 is a step below the ACC, it's the Island of Misfit Toy's of conferences. The ACC isn't anywhere near "dismantling" and it's more likely the ACC would raid the Big 12 if schools like Clemson or FSU left.

Yeah, I don't think that's accurate at all. Yes the Big 12 will be less than what it is now, but they may very well raid the Pac-12 of those who don't end up in the Big Ten (which likely to only be Oregon and Washington and possibly Stanford). The ACC is being eyed by both the Big Ten and SEC, clear conference upgrades for any school. The leftovers would probably end up in the Big 12 or some Big 12/ACC merger.

• Like 1

Anyone has yet seen this?

https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20230417066y7o

What a way to name a single-sport only conference with "athletic" on it. How would that make sense, knowing that it will only be a football-sponsoring league with no other sports being added for men and/or women alike? It would be logical if it's called the "United Football Conference".

P.S.: Good job WAC & A-Sun. *facepalms*

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

3 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

Anyone has yet seen this?

https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20230417066y7o

What a way to name a single-sport only conference with "athletic" on it. How would that make sense, knowing that it will only be a football-sponsoring league with no other sports being added for men and/or women alike? It would be logical if it's called the "United Football Conference".

P.S.: Good job WAC & A-Sun. *facepalms*

Should've called it the WAC-SUN.

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Should've called it the WAC-SUN.

That would been something at least, Like how the MVFC is, separately from the MVC, but also includes Summit schools for one sport (being football).

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:12 PM, Burmy said:

St. Cloud State dropped football in 2019...I wonder what it would take for them to revive it?

Perhaps Minnesota State would work as the other school to move up? 

I support this as long as they change their nickname to the Screaming Eagles.

Could the SEC ever be considered a “collegiate football monopoly”? All the time we hear the conference being nicknamed “NFL D-League” and more often than not, at least 2 teams crowd the 4-team CFP.

I know it sounds incredibly silly to suggest, but could a Power-5 conference have too much power?

On 4/15/2023 at 2:01 PM, Burmy said:

Why is that? It's certainly not true now. Look at MSU in the last 15 years and tell me that no conference wants them now.