Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Guess that's now official. After the news with St. Francis (NY) discontinuing its entire athletics program, the pick was obvious. Although the NEC still has time to potentially expand within a few years to grow back its membership amount.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

30 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

Guess that's now official. After the news with St. Francis (NY) discontinuing its entire athletics program, the pick was obvious. Although the NEC still has time to potentially expand within a few years to grow back its membership amount.

Exactly... New Haven is more then likely getting the call within the next year or two.

A bit off-topic from FBS stuff, here's some unexpected but projected FCS stuff:

https://ovcsports.com/news/2023/5/12/general-western-illinois-university-to-join-the-ovc-in-2023-24.aspx

What would be the future now for the Summit, now that all of its members (except Denver and Oral Roberts) are technically in the Upper Midwest or West North Central states (or in geographic terms, the Great Plains)?

And what would be the future for the OVC, as it might be a full member school (that can sponsor football) might bring the conference back to 12 members (and possibly 7 or 8 for the autobid qualifyer for a football title in conference-play)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Already brought up Western Illinois, man.

In the case of the Summit, there's been talk for years about Augustana (SD) joining the league, but they don't have a plan outside of the incoming hockey team joining the CCHA.

On the flip side, the Ohio Valley is now safe in terms of other sports... but is going to have to do the heavy lifting in terms of the alliance with the Big South for football. It's similar to how the WAC is going to do the heavy lifting for the UAC.

17 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Interesting take from the ACC

Just need 8 teams to break the GOR. I think the best bet or smartest move is for Louisville to realize they're better off in the Big XII with old rivals like Cinci, WVU, and maybe even Memphis than whatever the hell the ACC is going to be when the big names leave or an ACC with uneven distribution. Louisville doesn't see itself as a basketball school. It's a basketball and football school. Football just doesn't have the consistency to merit the amount of money in uneven distribution for it to be a basketball and football school. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Just need 8 teams to break the GOR. I think the best bet or smartest move is for Louisville to realize they're better off in the Big XII with old rivals like Cinci, WVU, and maybe even Memphis than whatever the hell the ACC is going to be when the big names leave or an ACC with uneven distribution. Louisville doesn't see itself as a basketball school. It's a basketball and football school. Football just doesn't have the consistency to merit the amount of money in uneven distribution for it to be a basketball and football school. 

Louisville has always been a very odd fit in the ACC to me.  It seemed like a bit of a marriage of convenience.

As you say, many of their old rivals are in the Big XII now, so it would make sense for them to follow.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Louisville has always been a very odd fit in the ACC to me.  It seemed like a bit of a marriage of convenience.

As you say, many of their old rivals are in the Big XII now, so it would make sense for them to follow.

They initially filed a lawsuit when West Virginia was accepted into the Big XII, arguing they were supposed to be the next one let in (whether they argued they were told that or just felt they should be, I'm not sure). They dropped it and then went to the ACC. If the Big XII was their preference or just their best shot at a power 5, I don't know. But I think they'd fit a little better. And if the ACC appears to be a sinking ship at all, I don't doubt they'd take the opportunity and jump.

• Like 2

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, 

North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia & Virginia Tech bolt to the SEC to make it a 24-school monster:

POD 1

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina,

N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech 

POD 2

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, 

Georgia, Miami, South Carolina 

POD 3

Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss,

Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt 

POD 4

Arkansas, LSU, Missouri,

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Agreed. Plus, with Houston also joining by, another former L'Ville rival from the C-USA days (as well as Cincy).

But imagine if Louisville had joined the Big XII instead of West Virginia back 11 years ago, with WVU joining the ACC a bit later. I wonder if either program would had success or blunders along the way. Oddly enough, if Maryland hadn't even like decided to leave the ACC, Rutgers would had been also consider joining in the ACC too instead of the Big TEN, alongside WVU. That would set a mini-cycle rivalry between those schools and had might given the ACC 16 teams (in a football perspective, excluding #17 in Notre Dame, who's just the non-football full-member).

23 hours ago, SCMODS said:

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, 

North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia & Virginia Tech bolt to the SEC to make it a 24-school monster:

POD 1

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina,

N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech 

POD 2

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, 

Georgia, Miami, South Carolina 

POD 3

Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss,

Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt 

POD 4

Arkansas, LSU, Missouri,

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M 

I think North Carolina and State are a better fit for the B1G. Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and Florida State to the SEC, Virginia, Duke, NC and NC State to the B1G. Just seems like a natural fit imo for both sides

2 hours ago, Gary said:

I think North Carolina and State are a better fit for the B1G. Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and Florida State to the SEC, Virginia, Duke, NC and NC State to the B1G. Just seems like a natural fit imo for both sides

I think UNC could end up in the SEC with Clemson, Virginia Tech and Florida State. Duke, Virginia and Georgia Tech to the Big Ten. The rest will fall where ever I guess. Miami could end up in the Big Ten (I know, right? But if they're desperate enough to get a foot into the  Florida market...) or the Big 12. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 3:10 PM, Germanshepherd said:

On one hand I'm glad that there's the potential that Boise State doesn't have to play them any more. On the other, I feel like BSU should be going with them but I understand that hoping and wishing don't mean much. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 6/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, bosrs1 said:

They must have offline assurances that an offer is pending, probably from the Pac 12 given the request for an extension.

SDSU's buyout doubles if they don't exit before July 1 (I think 17m to 34m). They've likely go the wink and a nod from the Pac-12 and they're waiting for the TV deal to be completed.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football