Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If you're strictly looking at a quadrant, sure. But based on what people colloquially consider the Southeast? Yeah, it ain't Oklahoma or Texas and Missouri can kick rocks too.

• Like 5
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

8 hours ago, Burmy said:

With long-term talks with the MWC falling through, Oregon State and Washington State are back at work to try and rebuild the Pac-12.

According to sources, they're already underway in the process to bring Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State and San Diego State to the new Pac-12.

They need to add two more teams to retain FBS status. I’d be on the phone with North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

• Like 1

Now that it's official...I, for one, couldn't be happier to see it!

With the Pac back, I can imagine they will closely monitor the changing landscape of the conference alignment to plan where they move next:

1. If the ACC does fall apart as has been constantly rumored, then Cal and Stanford will come back home (and methinks SMU will tag along)

2. IIRC, Arizona State and Utah did all they could to stay in the Pac-12, but felt like they had no choice but to switch to the Big 12...perhaps they'd be welcomed back (and we'd get more buyout drama)

3. There's also UNLV, Tulane, Memphis, etc. that keep popping up whenever these realignment talks happen...I imagine the "New-Pac" may hold off on those until we get some clarity on the future of the ACC and the availability of the Bay schools (and SMU by proxy).

v40P3lq.png

8 minutes ago, Burmy said:

With the Pac back, I can imagine they will closely monitor the changing landscape of the conference alignment to plan where they move next:

1. If the ACC does fall apart as has been constantly rumored, then Cal and Stanford will come back home (and methinks SMU will tag along)

2. IIRC, Arizona State and Utah did all they could to stay in the Pac-12, but felt like they had no choice but to switch to the Big 12...perhaps they'd be welcomed back (and we'd get more buyout drama)

3. There's also UNLV, Tulane, Memphis, etc. that keep popping up whenever these realignment talks happen...I imagine the "New-Pac" may hold off on those until we get some clarity on the future of the ACC and the availability of the Bay schools (and SMU by proxy).

Just merge the ACC & PAC8/10/12 at this point.

• Transcontinental Athletic Conference (TAC)

41 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I agree with the 1st opinion. SMU, Cal & Standford could go back if the ACC blows up or changes in a big way.

However, if they are going to continue to be the Pac-12, I would strongly hope they try to keep as many schools in the region as much as possible. I don't want to see a Tulane or Memphis in that conference, considering the Big 12 & Big 10 already have broken geography alignment. IN the ideal world, I'd see the "new" Pac 12 as follows:

Washington St

Oregon St

BSU

CSU

SDSU

Fresno St

Cal (If ACC implosion)

Stanford (if ACC implosion)

SMU (If ACC implosion)

UNLV

San Jose St

& Throw in maybe like North Texas, or a Texas school that's been fairly successful in the last 3-4 years.

That's a good 12 in my book and gives them a chance to build back up with a lot of good fluidity. 

• Like 1

My gut feeling seeing that they only poached 4 schools from the MWC so far is that they get goofy with geographic restrictions and try to decapitate the AAC (taking Memphis, one of the Texas schools, Tulane, maybe USF if they want the frequent flyer miles.) The New-Pac won't be a power conference but establishing a place as a level above the other G5 conferences wouldn't be the worst stop. You may laugh but this is a world where Cal and Stanford are in the Atlantic Coast Conference. 

Hate to see this for the Mountain West but I'm hoping this could be the Montana and Dakota schools' chance to get promoted. 

• Like 4

KtHjnlJ.png

1 hour ago, Burmy said:

I think if the acc implodes smu will push to be in the big 12 with the rest of the old swc mates. I can see them also going after Air Force & UNLV for tv markets & Eyeballs. Then the MW will def call the Dakota’s & both Montana schools, maybe even give Idaho a call back? Maybe even EWU. 

1 hour ago, FriedPickles said:

This is pretty much what I thought would happen, basically making the Pac-# the Mountain West. Is there any way they could get Stanford and Cal back to make it the Pac-8 again? Lol

Doubtful as Cal and Stanford signed a grant of rights to the ACC.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Burkell007 said:

I think if the acc implodes smu will push to be in the big 12 with the rest of the old swc mates. I can see them also going after Air Force & UNLV for tv markets & Eyeballs. Then the MW will def call the Dakota’s & both Montana schools, maybe even give Idaho a call back? Maybe even EWU. 

The Big XII going after Air Force for tv market? Why? They already have Colorado, the major school of the state.

11 minutes ago, McCall said:

The Big XII going after Air Force for tv market? Why? They already have Colorado, the major school of the state.

You could argue that the American could also target Air Force to join the other two service academies.  Either way, Air Force is the coveted star now.

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Of all the teams from the MW they could’ve invited, they actively chose not to invite Hawaii. They one that’s in the middle of the :censored:ing PACIFIC ocean

A - Hawaii is only a football member

B - Hawaii's stadium situation is currently Northwestern without an end game or the uniqueness of playing immediately adjacent to water

C - Hawaii hasn't left Oahu for a non-COVID bowl since 2007 and hasn't exactly been raising any eyebrows lately

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

Not much has been said here about it, but the talk flows on a USF forum I frequent.  The Big Ten has some missing footprints it should consider. The Big Ten is the only remaining P4 (using that term for posterity) conference without a presence in Florida and Texas. 

If AAU status is important, I could see a possibility that Texas A&M would go Big Ten.  They left the Big XII for the SEC because of Texas and lo and behold, who follows them?  Needless to say, why not be the big Texas fish in the Big Ten pond?

As for Florida, you have Miami and USF with AAU status.  Yes, Miami has the history, but USF is quietly setting up for success at a P4 level as a G5/6 status.  You could argue that one or both of these Florida programs would be a solid add for the Big Ten (and there's a massive number of alumni for the current Big Ten schools down here too)