Kansas City Chiefs

rentz

In my opinion, the Chiefs have the third worst logo in the NFL, after the Titans and Jets. Everything about it is bland, and doesn't really say anything. It's an arrowhead with a KC monogram on it, a monogram obviously inspired by the 49ers' logo. And it has black in it which is absent everywhere else. It just is not an effective logo and not "classic" or "iconic" enough to justify its continued use.

When sketching logos I found that the letter KC could be drawn so that it looks like an arrowhead. That is the direction I tried to go with here.

chiefslogo.png

The uniforms have not been revolutionized, just tweaked. The facemask is now yellow because I feel it ties it in with the rest of the set better. I made a new number font, which I'm not sure about but I think it is fairly understated. I moved the stripes from the cuffs to the sleeves. I changed the stripe so that when it is on a red background it always goes white-yellow-white, rather than white-red-yellow-red-white.

chiefs.png

C+C welcome.

I think this is pretty cool. In my opinion, KC has one of the classiest logos, and if it should be changed it should only be a minor one.

Anyways, the unis are fairly nice, I do think you should add numbers to the shoulders. I can tell you were going for a 'rugged' look, you carried out this through the logos and number font.

Pretty nice job on this. But, maybe you should add a bit more to this logo as it looks a little incomplete.

I don't think you accomplished what you set out to do with the KC logo and numbers. Instead of looking like a rock chiseled arrowhead it kinda looks like the letters and numbers are having a seizure. They look like they belong in a Dr. Katz cartoon. I find the whole thing distracting.

You'd be better off shaping the KC as you did, but with more straight edges, the drawing the arrowhead shape around it. Then choose a less jarring number font. Also, why are the letters K & C different colors in the logo but not on the uniforms or helmet?

I also think that a Chiefs concept should consider making the colors a little more modern. The bright red and yellow is a bit childish. You don't want to copy the color scheme of the 49ers or even the Cavs but maybe do something to spruce up the colors a bit.. even changing the yellow to silver would be nice.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Upon review I think you're right. The logo doesn't immediately register as an arrowhead. I've put it inside a literal arrowhead, so hopefully that should help. I'm not sure what colors I should have it in so I've rendered it in a few for now, on both white and red backgrounds.

cldb.png

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you about the colors. I really like the red and yellow, and they are unique in the league. If you alter the colors too much you lose the uniqueness. Darken the red- Redskins. Make the yellow metallic- 49ers. Drop yellow- Cardinals. Silver would be unique too, however, so I'll see how it looks but I'll probably stick with red/yellow.

I quite the logo, but can't help thinking it looks a little like a fountain pen nib rather than an arrowhead! It feels close to brilliant but not quite there yet!

I'm thinking the outlined version makes it look more fish than arrow head.

Sorry dude, but I think you completely missed on this one. The letters just looked messed up.

IMO Kansas is one of those middle of the road unis and logos that neither excites nor disgusts me.

Your new design on the other hand is categorically not an improvement.

4226186501_9e0cccf054_t.jpg

Here's another stab at it. I've decided to actually keep the black, because even though it goes against my entire sense of aestheticism, I think it looks the best with this logo. It also establishes some continuity between this and the previous. I included a version without the edges on the letters, because some of you weren't fans of the letters.

kcc2-1.png

Here's another stab at it. I've decided to actually keep the black, because even though it goes against my entire sense of aestheticism, I think it looks the best with this logo. It also establishes some continuity between this and the previous. I included a version without the edges on the letters, because some of you weren't fans of the letters.

kcc2-1.png

I like the logo on the right... IF you make the C yellow

4226186501_9e0cccf054_t.jpg

In my opinion, the Chiefs have the third worst logo in the NFL, after the Titans and Jets. Everything about it is bland, and doesn't really say anything. It's an arrowhead with a KC monogram on it, a monogram obviously inspired by the 49ers' logo. And it has black in it which is absent everywhere else. It just is not an effective logo and not "classic" or "iconic" enough to justify its continued use.

I think you're really off base with your critique of the Chiefs' logo. To state that the logo 'doesn't really say anything' is a stretch. It's clearly and unmistakably an arrowhead silhouette with the familiar 'KC' monogram inside. For the Chiefs, what else does it need to say? One loud message is worth more than ten whispered ones. It absolutely is classic, dating from the 1960s and remaining nearly unchanged since its inception. Furthermore, that logo represents the very definition of iconic. It is so easily recognizable as belonging to the chiefs for the casual fan and even to someone who knows little or nothing about football, that logo makes sense because of its clear, simple message.

Your logo does not instantly read as an arrowhead, first off. Sure, it could read as one, but it's not an unmistakable read like the Chiefs' current mark is. Second, the treatment of the letterforms is very jarring and unnecessary. I see that it's supposed to mimic the rough edges of an arrowhead, but it tries to hard, for lack of a better phrase. The timelessness of the classic interlocking monogram gives it a more subtle and elegant relationship with the arrowhead holding shape. The contrast of the clean, slab serif 'KC' with the rough arrowhead silhouette allow each part to stand out independently within the logo and clearly speak their messages. The two parts in your logo blend together because of the similar visual treatment. As a result, both messages are lost in your logo.

The logo is the best part of Kansas City's identity, though the monogram needs a little cleaning up and the black should be changed to yellow. Personally, I think it's one of the better logos in the league, but there's no doubt that if Kansas City adopted your logo, it would be among the league's worst. I would go back to the drawing board on this one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This seemed like a really good idea when I was picturing it in my head, but I've been unable to render it successfully so I'll try a different approach.

I've actually changed my mind. Watching Full Color Football last night made me realize how nice the Chiefs logo is and how well it works on the helmet. So this new try is just a shot at modernizing it while retaining the same basic look.

kcc2-2.png

That looks like a crackly leaf... not an arrowhead. If I didn't know what that was supposed to be, I'd have no idea what it was.

The "old school"-basic letters don't work at all against that kind of background. IMO an iconic logo is one that I can pick up a pencil and draw a reasonable representation of by memory. There's so many jagged edges and points in that logo that I don't think anyone would ever be able to do that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry, but that update just doesn't work for me at all. As BBTV said, you're going with pretty basic letters on an arrowhead that looks like it's melting. The arrow looks good from the tip to the back of the "C," but then the logo really goes to hell. Tone down the aggressiveness/overdesigned-ness/craziness happening at the back of the logo and this could be salvaged.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

kcc2-1.png

I like the one on the left in this selection. Continuing the "chipped" arrowhead rock on the letters gives it a more consistent feel. Would be interesting to see the "C" in the yellow/orange as in your original.

Overall, I like it.

• 1 month later...

This seemed like a really good idea when I was picturing it in my head, but I've been unable to render it successfully so I'll try a different approach.

I've actually changed my mind. Watching Full Color Football last night made me realize how nice the Chiefs logo is and how well it works on the helmet. So this new try is just a shot at modernizing it while retaining the same basic look.

kcc2-2.png

I like how you integrated the gold into the arrowhead. Also the symmetry of the arrowhead is perfectly balanced in your concept here as opposed to their current version which is not. Overall shaping is sleek and more aggressive. It's a cool new take on a classic logo.

Good work!

I'm gonna have to tout the party line here. The Cheifs logo looks about as good as it's ever gonna look. The only "improvement" I can think of that MIGHT work is if you tried that type of shading on the current logo. Otherwise, I'd try to focus on taking some of the blandness away from their uniforms. You're going in the right direction with the number switch, but it what you've done overall seems a little "safe." The Redskins wore Pittsburgh Pirates style numbers in the 30s and 40s, something like that would probably work just as well for the Chiefs. I would also do a little research into the artifacts of First Nations of the Great Plains. Maybe there's a pattern that would translate well into a cuff and collar design like Florida State or maybe a subliminated design for the overall body of the jerseys.

kcc2-2.png

I've never been a fan of putting yellow in the Cheifs arrowhead. Many have tried on here, and in my opinion, all have failed.

This, however, is a wonderful logo. I am impressed and would actually like to see how this would look on a helmet.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

i think you def need to keep the letters with the weathered pattern. second: you need to keep the K and C the SAME color. when they are different colors, the arrow head is lost. The Black outline of just the arrow head adds a lot to the logo.

the KC/Arrow head is ingenious. nearly perfect.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

kcc2-1.png

I like this, though I'd try make the chisels marks in the letters smaller and add yellow-gold in the background of the "KC" logo. And, as far as the numbers are concerned, I'd eliminate the chiseling effect on them altogether.

EDIT: The chisel-less "KC" looks great; it looks modern but classy, like it could have been around since the 1970s. Maybe make the outline of the arrowhead yellow-gold.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived