My (Personal) Football League Redesign

CJworks

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, amazing job on the logos and wordmark! Just out of curiosity, is there any meaning to the design of the helmet topper thing in the primary...it looks like NIVVVVI.

The uniforms are solid...the only thing I would change is to move the D logo from above the NOB to the side of the pants, just so you don't have the primary six times on the helmet and uniforms.

These are great,but one thing.Can you please make alternate helmets? Every time I look at a football league concept,a guy makes team uniforms normally with an alternate jersey or pants or both, but never makes an alternate helmet.I'm not saying you have to,but can someone do that, I can't make uniforms, I suck at it.

That's because alternative helmets are rare to non-existent. Lots of teams use throwback helmets, but that is because they have a long history worth remembering. These are all relatively new teams (I imagine this is the case in your league) so why have any alternative helmets?

Anyway, this is a nice concept. If anything the guy looks almost too real, but I really like the jerseys too.

• 4 weeks later...

I just looked back on some of these logos and I really like your Huskies one. It's a great rendering of a husky!

I have one question for you about fonts and wordmarks? Do you usually make your wordmarks from scratch, or do you have a bunch of cool fonts saved on your computer? I can tell either way you edit or doctor up the wordmarks nicely for each specific team, but I was just curious since I'm always trying to find or make the right wordmark to match each logo.

#19.13 Charlotte Prowlers Update

Up Next: #19.14 Portland Huskies Update

prowlerREVO1-2.png

It's been awhile, with school starting and work beginning to pile up, the thread has been put on the backburner for awhile. However, I've got a couple page-full of sketches, and decided to bring this one to the boards. It's went through 3-4 transformations, and hopefully this one should be the last. So, with this concept, I tried to put the 'prowler' theme into full throttle. I went back and brainstormed for a bit: What does a panther do when it prowls? I tried to convey the intimidating idea here. The primary is a panther head stylized inside of a shield. I originally went with real dark colors here, to provide the idea that the panthers' crawling at night. However, there was little to no contrast going on, so I dumped it. The seondary is a customized C with claw slashes. The script is custom as well, in particularly the same style as the secondary. The tertiary here was a bit of a stretch: I wanted to go with something to 'close up the set'. The midfield eye used on LSU's football field was inspiring, which brought me this: A panther eye encircled in a tail, forming a 'C'. These don't appear in the uniform set, but they will appear on the field.

Home

prowlerhome-4.png

Away

prowleraway-4.png

Alternate

prowleralternate-4.png

I really like the Prowlers update. The other cat was bothering me. Anyway, I think this set with the new logo is great. Perhaps you already tried and it didn't look right, but my only suggestion would be to reverse the scratches on the shoulders. It seems to me that the climax of the scratch should be on the front of the jersey rather then the back.

So I?ve been busy with a lot of other projects lately, but I?ve constantly been doing sketches for many of my teams. I feel that design-wise, I?ve been learning a lot about the different styles and techniques to render a logo. When I had the time, I went back and took another look at the older updates I?ve made, and I felt that some could use some refreshing. I?m not going to make a huge deal about going back and updating the teams again, but instead I?ll make a ?bulk? update.

#19.16 Asheville Mountaineers Update

Up Next: #19.17 Denver Avengers Update

mountaineerREVO1-1.png

Nothing too drastic here. I kept the same general idea the same, but I went ahead and went with a custom font for the primary and script, and I emphasized the silver a tad bit more. The primary is still an A with a pickaxe behind it. This is still used on the helmets, just as the updated secondary, the Appalachian Mountains with two crossed pickaxes behind it, is still used on the shoulders. The script, like I said, is custom.

Home

mountaineerhome2.png

Away

mountaineeraway2.png

Alternate

mountaineeralternate2.png

The primary logo looks like the secondary logo was placed above the wordmark. Have you tried joining them? Then you would have a true complete set - primary, secondary and wordmark.

I just looked back on some of these logos and I really like your Huskies one. It's a great rendering of a husky!

I have one question for you about fonts and wordmarks? Do you usually make your wordmarks from scratch, or do you have a bunch of cool fonts saved on your computer? I can tell either way you edit or doctor up the wordmarks nicely for each specific team, but I was just curious since I'm always trying to find or make the right wordmark to match each logo.

I sketch it all at one time: the logos, wordmarks, and uniforms all on one page. So the fonts are really whatever comes to my mind. When I take it to the computer, I render the wordmark and really create my own font. Some number fonts however are standard. Everything else is custom.

I sketch it all at one time: the logos, wordmarks, and uniforms all on one page. So the fonts are really whatever comes to my mind. When I take it to the computer, I render the wordmark and really create my own font. Some number fonts however are standard. Everything else is custom.

cool. thanks. I was thinking most of your fonts were custom-made. i like the script for you CJWorks logo too. looks awesome

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I have been getting some significant work done. Along with closing some deals on other projects, I've been doing my research, and continually making these teams better. The most significant change right now is the league logo and the Eastern and Western conferences, they both now have an 'identity'. I've posted the divisions as well, and before anyone goes on about how awful the team alignment is, I probably won't be changing it because this is how it has been since 2006, and the fact that some teams are jumbled up makes it unique in its own way. I went ahead and created a checklist here, the teams with the faded league logo are undergoing updates as we speak, the ones with the logos beside them are finished, and the ones with the dashed markings are yet to be determined (suggestions for teamnames and divisions are highly appreciated).

UFLteamsanddivisions.png

Team updates will be up within the next half hour, stay tuned.

#19.18 Las Vegas Crows Update

Up Next: Charlotte Prowlers Update

crowREVO1-1.png

My overall goal this time around is to make these teams look more professional and creative. Those two guidelines will follow me through the rest of the league. The old Crows logo was kicked to the curb, and the new stylized crow is born. This replaces the primary. I've also got a new classier script for the Vegas team. A new LV logo as the secondary is in the same style.

Not much changed uniform-wise; added a collar logo, chnaged the number font, and added some stylized pant-striping.

Home

crowhome2.png

Away

crowaway2.png

Alternate

crowalternate2.png

Charlotte Prowlers Update

Up Next: Florida Sharks Update

prowlerREVO1-3.png

Nothing much changed here to be honest. Same primary, secondary, script and tertiary.

The real chnages, although minor, are in the uniforms. I added a set of black pants, lightened up the strokes around the numbers, and toyed around with the Carolina blue alternate just a bit.

Home

prowlerhome-5.png

Away

prowleraway-5.png

Alternate

prowleralternate-5.png

Archived