Logo Design Tutorials

Davidson

ive been looking at the logo design work on the concept forum recently and there are a number of issues with the design work that seem to crop up again and again.

things like the proportions of features, use of line thickness, creating shadows, erroneous pen lines and shapes and overuse of outlines etc etc.

looking at the work, there are lots of talented lay-man designers, young designers and such who have learned the technology to a competent level, but lack the processes

and techniques necessary to push their work to the next level. i see lots of little bad habits and lacking fundamentals that tend to scupper a design that might otherwise

turn out very well.

it occurred to me that much of this could be rectified with the use of a few small tips to help people achieve much better likenesses with their designs. now this wouldnt be a

preachy 'get your pencils and notebooks out and sketch for a week' back-to-basics guide. i just think that a few people might benefit from a few tricks and techniques i could

pass on in a very short course. a step by step tutorial as to how to create a logo. 4 or 5 simple steps over 8-10 days or so. people would show their workings as they go, get

feedback and by the end have 2 or 3 polished looking logos and a wee toolbox of tricks that they could then hone for the future.

personally, this isnt really my professional are of expertise, but i am a graphic designer as well as an animator and have a number of years experience working for clients

like sony, mtv, bbc, guinness, nike, reebok and nickelodeon. so i think that i might be able to at least impart my own techniques for logo design for what they are worth.

this would be an illustrative course for which you would need illustrator, inscape or a similar vector based program.

and i guess the course itself might consist of producing 1 human logo, 1 animal logo, and 1 inanimate object logo perhaps along the lines of the below:

logoexamples.png

this would require quite a bit more thought and likely a fair bit of work, but i honestly think it could definitely benefit a number of the guys on here.

at the moment im just gauging the potential interest for something like this. please let me know your thoughts, if this is something you would be interesting or if there is some

other aspect of sports design you think might of use.

cheers

fraser

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this really wouldnt be a definitive guide to logo design. this would just be my tips to combat a number of the issues people tend to encounter when designing logos.

the bare bones of the process, from sketching up the concept with lines, simplifying a line drawing to make a logo design, applying lines and shadows, colouring and finishing and perhaps a very little bit on text and wordmarks.

I'd be interested in following this and seeing what you have to say, techniques you advise, and other info, but to say I join this 'course' and pump out all those logos in a mere 8-10 logos is not possible for me. I do have a job and stuff that occupies me here and there. As much as I love designing, it's just in my free time. I'd still be curious to follow along and see what you all have to say though even if Im not all in, if thats allowed.

yeah, sure. it wouldnt be a course per se, i just couldnt think of a better word really. i guess a tutorial with feedback?

it would be something you could do at your own pace if you didnt want to do it as part of what im proposing.

actually, this would be a great guide for everyone, not just up-and-coming designers...over the years i have learned that all designers have their own style and way of developing their logos. and in watching and looking at the finalized file, i can look at ways to improve my own work.

i think this will be fantastic davidson, as you are a very talented artist and would love to see how you develop a logo

footer_helmet.gif

I am SO IN!!!

Especially when you consider the quality of your work, but also the evolution of your work, and the leadership you've been displaying around here with constructive feedback.

I'll tell you one of the areas that always amaze me in your work (and the other top nutch illustrators) is the addition of shading to a concept, especially human and animal ahaped ones...

I think I'll even "subscribe to this thread to make sure I don't miss any updates...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived