Davidson's Logo Design Tutorials: Results / Concepts / Feedback Thread

CDixonDesign

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea if I am doing this correctly. However, if any of you would be willing to follow the links to my photobucket page and help me out a little, I would be eternally grateful. I have a few questions...

1- I used the pencil tool to trace everything. Is this what I should be using or is there something better?

2- Assuming I have done everything correctly so far, how do I move to the next step? The 'thickening up' of the lines, etc. Obviously, just changing the pt. thickness of the lines isn't the answer. What should I be doing here?

Please forgive my niavete. I having been trying to teach myself Illustrator for a few years now by simply doing. I want to begin designing logos, etc. and this seems like a great tutorial... I just don't know the basic controls I should be using.

Original picture: th_Olympic_Crosby-1920x1200.jpg

Outline picture: th_2010-10-19_193213.png

Thank you in advance for the help!

Torsten - I'd suggest that you maybe find a better picture of a hippo if you want to go that route for the Giants. The one you have shows too much mouth and not enough face. The trace isn't too bad, I just don't think the picture chosen is right for a sports logo.

Augustus%202010%20copy.jpg

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Augustus Caesar... cuz when I was younger some used to say I looked like him. So I'll try to turn him into a logo.

1. I did a freehand sketch, and it's got the typical problem of mine: it's a line drawing, surfaces undefined, very few shadows.

2. I'm using Photoshop.

3. Where do I go from here??? What exactly would you attack next?

4. Do I really need those construction lines? I could just start layering shapes.

I guess I need to start out by asking for help on my sketching. I need to improve there...

Original picture :

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/632/4395457525729d510593z.jpg

My sketch of the head :

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3338/image066x.jpg

I am currently working on a vector version of it but as i said, i still need to improve my skills with the pen tool.

I've been looking at the things you all have created and I must say, its really cool. I would like to try something like this but I honestly have NO idea where to start. I'm using GIMP, could someone kindly tell me how I get started doing this? I honestly have no idea.

Thanks all!

• 1 month later...

*the thread that wouldn't die... bwahaha*

Augustus%202010%20x6.jpg

I drew vectors over one of my pencil drawings. I guess Davidson's technique of 'sketching' right on the computer just doesn't work for me. My question is this: Is the face 'finished' or does it need something more?

• 1 month later...

Need some guidance on my go at a Blake Griffin face...here's my photoshop sketch (so disregard choppy lines and rounded edges to everything) before I go and vector it:

bgriffface.jpg

I'm not sure if the cheekbone shape looks right and the eyes have been screwy as well...C&C needed and appreciated! :)

Need some guidance on my go at a Blake Griffin face...here's my photoshop sketch (so disregard choppy lines and rounded edges to everything) before I go and vector it:

bgriffface.jpg

I'm not sure if the cheekbone shape looks right and the eyes have been screwy as well...C&C needed and appreciated! :)

Not really sure what advice to give really? Its clear this image hasnt been made by following the tutorial from this thread?

You are just effectively just trying to make a colour half tone? Why not just blur the image slightly, crank up the curves and then trace over the top of something like this?

blake.png

Will save you a lot of time and effort.

This thread ROCKS! Thanks again, Davidson. I'm currently working on an illustration of myself and will post when I have something respectable.

Edit: I'm certainly no pro, but here's what I've come up with. Suggestions/criticism would be great. I'd like to start doing more of this stuff, just to improve my Illustrator skills.

illustration.jpg

My attempt at this.... (pic of me)

photo.jpg

Eh, compared to others I've seen, it just feels like it's missing something. Did I not do something right here? The dimension feels off. It doesn't look as good as I thought it would, which kinda frustrates me...

Feel free to go crazy with it if you have any ideas...

NYCdog.png

photo.jpg

Eh, compared to others I've seen, it just feels like it's missing something. Did I not do something right here? The dimension feels off. It doesn't look as good as I thought it would, which kinda frustrates me...

Personally I think the problem is the total opposite. Nothing is missing, in fact you have to much. To much detail and to many colours. What you've got here is a really solid illustration but it looks to much like a "live paint" rendering of a photo to be a successful logo.

Pick two colours and two colours only. That means no cheating with tints! Ditch the black outline and reduce the number of highlights you have on the face and I think you could be onto something really strong... oh yeah and ditch the gradient in the background, go solid colour, nothing or if you want to cut things cleanly then maybe box it up but gradients really dont fit with the style Davidson was trying to pass on imo.

I dont think you need to redraw anything I think if you do a "save as" version 2 of your original file you could keep the illustrative one and then simplify what you've got here to achieve the "Davidson" look really easily.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

photo.jpg

Personally I think the problem is the total opposite. Nothing is missing, in fact you have to much. To much detail and to many colours. What you've got here is a really solid illustration but it looks to much like a "live paint" rendering of a photo to be a successful logo.

Pick two colours and two colours only. That means no cheating with tints! Ditch the black outline and reduce the number of highlights you have on the face and I think you could be onto something really strong... oh yeah and ditch the gradient in the background, go solid colour, nothing or if you want to cut things cleanly then maybe box it up but gradients really dont fit with the style Davidson was trying to pass on imo.

I dont think you need to redraw anything I think if you do a "save as" version 2 of your original file you could keep the illustrative one and then simplify what you've got here to achieve the "Davidson" look really easily.

9erssteve

Appreciate the input.

Agreed on the Gradient, I kinda got lazy there as just a flat black background didn't do it for me either. I think I need to find a way to take the render "out of the box," so-to-speak, that I've kinda put it in. Just don't know to to achieve that. Maybe redraw the suit so it just fades out??? I feel like I'm having writers block here lol

As for colors, I'm torn here. Maybe I could switch out the yellow for some other color but I feel the facial illustration needs the colos to provide some depth (like this one below, posted earlier)

Still picking at this one....

iveyproject.jpg

I love this and tried to emulate a style like this ....not quite happenin for me though. :-(

NYCdog.png

photo.jpg

9erssteve

Appreciate the input.

Agreed on the Gradient, I kinda got lazy there as just a flat black background didn't do it for me either. I think I need to find a way to take the render "out of the box," so-to-speak, that I've kinda put it in. Just don't know to to achieve that. Maybe redraw the suit so it just fades out??? I feel like I'm having writers block here lol

As for colors, I'm torn here. Maybe I could switch out the yellow for some other color but I feel the facial illustration needs the colos to provide some depth (like this one below, posted earlier)

Still picking at this one....

iveyproject.jpg

I love this and tried to emulate a style like this ....not quite happenin for me though. :-(

But again that's very illustrative rather than logo like. You dont need millions of colours to get a good likeness, it can be done with two and negative space (white) really easily.

Willis_clean.png

(I'm not bumping my work up cos I think it's the best, there are others in here that use only two or three colours and are far better, I just dont wanna pull other folks work out of context without asking if it's ok.)

Looking at this now I could possibly have simplified a bit more and pushed it a little further with regards making it more stylised but at the same time I'm pretty proud of the faicial likeness and with the reduced colour palette it's in a more logo like vein than the Ivey image you posted. If that's what you're going for then great it's a cool style but it's certainly not simple enough to be a logo.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived