Cleveland Cavaliers 2009-2010 Jersey Log

supermati

I had the feel that the Cavs were wearing the wrong jersey almost always this season. I made a jersey log thanks to a big photo research. Here are the results (keep in mind that I consider the navy alternative the wrong jersey even on the road, so yes, it is a little subjective, however, when you look at the results, you'll realize it should not be considered an "Alternative" jersey):

The Log:

2009:

October:

27th: vs Boston - Primary Red (Wrong)

28th: @ Toronto - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

30th: @ Minnesota - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

31st: vs Charlotte - Primary White (Correct)

November:

3rd: vs Washington - Primary White (Correct)

5th: vs Chicago - Primary White (Correct)

6th: @ New York - Primary Red (Correct)

11th: @ Orlando - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

12th: @ Miami - Primary Red (Correct)

14th: vs Utah - Primary White (Correct)

17th: vs Golden State - Primary White (Correct)

18th: @ Washington - Primary Red (Correct)

20th: @ Indiana - Primary Red (Correct)

21st: vs Philadelphia - Primary White (Correct)

25th: @ Detroit - Primary Red (Correct)

27th: @ Charlotte - Primary White (Wrong)

28th: vs Dallas - Primary White (Correct)

December:

2nd: vs Phoenix - Retro Blue (Wrong)

4th: vs Chicago - Primary White (Correct)

6th: @ Milwaukee - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

8th: @ Memphis - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

9th: @ Houston - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

11th: vs Portland - Retro Blue (Wrong)

13th: @ Oklahoma City - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

15h: vs New Jersey - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

16th: @ Philadelphia - Primary Red (Correct)

18th: vs Milwaukee - Primary White (Correct)

20th: @ Dallas - Primary White (Wrong)

21st: @ Phoenix - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

23rd: @ Sacramento - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

25th: @ Los Angeles Lakers - Alternative Navy (Wrong)

27th: vs Houston - Primary White (Correct)

29th: @ Atlanta - Primary Red (Correct)

30th: vs Atlanta - Primary White (Correct)

2010:

January:

2nd: @ New Jersey - Primary White (Wrong)

3rd: vs Charlotte - Primary White (Correct)

6th: vs Washington - Retro Maroon (Wrong)

8th: @ Denver - Retro Blue (Wrong)

10th: @ Portland - Retro Blue (Wrong)

11th: @ Golden State - Retro Blue (Wrong)

14th: @ Utah - Primary White (Wrong)

16th: @ Los Angeles Clippers - Retro Blue (Wrong)

19th: vs Toronto - Primary White (Correct)

21st: vs Los Angeles Lakers - Retro Maroon (Wrong)

23rd: vs Oklahoma City - Retro Blue (Wrong)

25th: @ Miami - Primary Red (Correct)

Total games played: 46

Total home games: 20

Times correct jersey (Primary White) was worn at home : 13

Times wrong jerseys were worn at home : 7

Times Primary Red was worn at home: 1

Times Alternative Navy was worn at home: 1

Times Retro Blue was worn at home: 3

Times Retro Maroon was worn at home: 2

Total road games: 26

Times correct jersey (Primary Red) was worn on the road : 8

Times wrong jerseys were worn on the road: 18

Times Primary White was worn on the road: 4

Times Alternative Navy was worn on the road: 10

Times Retro Blue was worn on the road: 4

Times Retro Maroon was worn on the road: 0

Final statistics:

Times Primary White was worn: 17

Times Primary Red was worn: 9

Times Alternative Navy was worn: 11

Times Retro Blue was worn: 7

Times Retro Maroon was worn: 2

Times correct jersey was worn: 21

Times wrong jersey was worn: 25

Feel free to add new info for the log and comment on the topic. Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great thread, nice job actually figuring this out! They should just cut the B.S. & make their alternate uniform their primary road uniform.

You know that the Cavs' jerseys are getting out of control when they forced the Lakers to wear their home jerseys in Cleveland while they wore a throwback in current colors. That is easily the most convoluted uniform matchup I've ever seen.

I guess I can't blame the Cavs for wanting to sell as many #23 jerseys as they possibly can, ESPECIALLY considering he's changing his number soon, but damn it's annoying to tune in to a Cavs game & have no idea what they might wear on any given night.

After watching a highlight reel of LBJ, I couldn't help but think with the constant throwbacks and alternates, there is no identity left for the Cavs and anybody watching a montage of highlights 20 years from now who didn't study the stuff would think Lebron James was on the Cavs since 1984.

Thanks for taking the time to count this out and showcase just how muddied one of the best identities in the NBA is.

nice work supermati, whoever you are.

This pretty much backs up what I posted in the other thread, so I won't post it twice,

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously, the Cavs are getting to the point where they will have some kind of alternate/throwback uniform for every day of the month.

They should take a page out of the Lakers and most other teams... One home, one road and one alternate worn only on specific dates. That's it.

I've watched an entire Cavs game twice all season. Home against the Lakers and home against the Thunder last night. Wine retro against the Lakers. Blue retro against the Thunder. In the two games I've seen, they've worn the "wrong" jersey both times.

BB52Big.jpg

You can't fault them for wearing white on the road 4 times. That's the fault of whomever they're playing wanting to wear color at home. Y'all need to settle down. The Cavs are figuring out who they are. The identity will be simplified in due time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You can't fault them for wearing white on the road 4 times. That's the fault of whomever they're playing wanting to wear color at home. Y'all need to settle down. The Cavs are figuring out who they are. The identity will be simplified in due time.

They've had LeBron since the 2003 season, when they rebranded themselves in the first place. It takes 7 seasons to figure out that maybe, just maybe, they have too many alternate uniforms?

Why do you guys care so much? They are all great jerseys. Enjoy them!

Because consistency is just as important as good design. Why have certain teams like the Lakers, Steelers, Celtics, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. become storied over the years? One reason is because of their consistent look.

Could you imagine if the Yankees decided to wear five different uniforms on different days of the week? Don't you think it would be very strange if the Yankees abandoned their pinstripes at seemingly random home games to wear, say, an all-navy uniform?

It's the same thing with the Cavs... While their various alternate uniforms might be nice, it dilutes the franchise image. You can't say they're [insert color scheme] here the way you could say the Lakers are purple and gold, because the Cavs change every night. Are they red today? Wine tomorrow? Blue next week? I honestly don't know at this point.

i love how much people talk about it. Wearing all the uniforms is definitely getting people talking about the Cavs and Cleveland more and more. i love it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

i love how much people talk about it. Wearing all the uniforms is definitely getting people talking about the Cavs and Cleveland more and more. i love it.

But more and more of this talk is also negative.

But I guess any attention is better than no attention.

one other thing. when the Cavs wear their whites on the road, that is due to the home team choosing to wear a non-white color jersey when they are at home. So those number can't really be counted as "wrong" uniforms.

I just think it is funny someone actually kept that stat and made it so detailed. It seems like he a bit envious. just my personal opinion.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The guy with the Peja Stojakovic (I'm pretty sure) avatar saves the day! Nice job.

Everyone on this thread agrees the cavs have too many jerseys.

Oh wait, except the three Cleveland fans here

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

A majority doesn't mean it's right. It just means that the majority of the people in this thread like their lives to be orderly and predictable. As long as the jerseys look good, what difference does it make?

This Cleveland fan couldn't care less. As long as The Cavs keep winning, I don't care if they wear Cleveland Barons jerseys.

Not that I care, but I'd love to hear a rational and objective argument on why the number of jerseys is a bad thing. Your argument cannot contain "I think" or "because it's how everyone else does it." Just prove why it's bad without it being an opinion.

Have fun. I'll check back later.

BB52Big.jpg

A majority doesn't mean it's right. It just means that the majority of the people in this thread like their lives to be orderly and predictable. As long as the jerseys look good, what difference does it make?

This Cleveland fan couldn't care less. As long as The Cavs keep winning, I don't care if they wear Cleveland Barons jerseys.

Not that I care, but I'd love to hear a rational and objective argument on why the number of jerseys is a bad thing. Your argument cannot contain "I think" or "because it's how everyone else does it." Just prove why it's bad without it being an opinion.

Have fun. I'll check back later.

Because consistency is just as important as good design. Why havecertain teams like the Lakers, Steelers, Celtics, Yankees, Dodgers,etc. become storied over the years? One reason is because of theirconsistent look.

Could you imagine if the Yankees decided to wear five differentuniforms on different days of the week? Don't you think it would bevery strange if the Yankees abandoned their pinstripes at seeminglyrandom home games to wear, say, an all-navy uniform?

It's the same thing with the Cavs... While their various alternateuniforms might be nice, it dilutes the franchise image. You can't saythey're [insert color scheme] here the way you could say the Lakers arepurple and gold, because the Cavs change every night. Are they redtoday? Wine tomorrow? Blue next week? I honestly don't know at thispoint.

Quillz said it perfectly.

Also, they arent all good looking jerseys. The blue alternates make no sense, the striping on them is out of nowhere, and the throwbacks look good in one color scheme with one logo, not a mix and match of every logo with every color scheme. Its like they pick colors out of one hat, and then throwback logo set out of another. . You saw MJ win in the red Bulls uni or the white Bulls uni. That was all. Red white and black for the Bulls. The lakers win in purple and gold. the celtics win in green and white. the spurs win in silver and black. The cavs (dont win when it counts) in 'wine', gold, navy, a lighter blue, a different gold, a different wine. what else am i forgetting?

Is that good enough for ya'?

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived