Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

While I too look forward to viewing each year's SB logo, I'm not against the idea of standardizing the thing. In a way, it gives kids something to work toward - picture a little 8-year old saying "my dream is to put that silver trophy patch on my jersey and play in the super bowl". The patch could eventually grow to really represent something. That being said, I don't think that this design was really the way to go (though I do like incorporating the trophy into it), and the stadium idea is really, really, really, dumb. Really dumb.

You raise a good point - I love the NBA Finals patch:

13celtics_650.jpg

If the NFL were to do something similar, with a simple patch featuring the iconic Lombardi trophy (which is instantly identifiable, even in silhouette), I'd be all for it. Besides, a silver patch would look good with every team's color scheme.

Of course, I wouldn't expect that level of restraint or understatement....

I would love to see just the Lombardi Trophy as a patch. I doubt it will happen, but it would be great.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA Finals patch works because the finals aren't held in a single location each year.

The NFL could always have a small, similar Lombardi Trophy similar to that of the NBA and still have a SB logo.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

While I too look forward to viewing each year's SB logo, I'm not against the idea of standardizing the thing. In a way, it gives kids something to work toward - picture a little 8-year old saying "my dream is to put that silver trophy patch on my jersey and play in the super bowl". The patch could eventually grow to really represent something. That being said, I don't think that this design was really the way to go (though I do like incorporating the trophy into it), and the stadium idea is really, really, really, dumb. Really dumb.

13celtics_650.jpg

If the NFL were to do something similar, with a simple patch featuring the iconic Lombardi trophy (which is instantly identifiable, even in silhouette), I'd be all for it. Besides, a silver patch would look good with every team's color scheme.

I would love to see just the Lombardi Trophy as a patch. I doubt it will happen, but it would be great.

Something I just thought of - should you really wear the patch of the trophy without actually winning it? You know how hockey players won't touch the cup until they actually win it? Is a patch really that different?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13celtics_650.jpg

Something I just thought of - should you really wear the patch of the trophy without actually winning it? You know how hockey players won't touch the cup until they actually win it? Is a patch really that different?

Well, yes, especially if you consider that every team in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1989 has worn a patch with the Stanley Cup on it and half of those teams lost, then clearly it makes no difference.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

That doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea. I hate patches for championship games/series. Useless clutter. I'm quite aware that a championship is being determined. That's probably why I'm watching. Patches don't clarify that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea. I hate patches for championship games/series. Useless clutter. I'm quite aware that a championship is being determined. That's probably why I'm watching. Patches don't clarify that.

True, but patches create the opportunity to sell another jersey featuring a patch. There is someone out there that already owns a white Drew Brees jersey who will buy another one that has the Super Bowl patch.

If there was no patch on the Laker/Celtic jersey's, would you have known that the photo was taken during an NBA Finals game? I think its a nice touch to have those patches, its an easy idicator of when the photo was taken. Without the patches it would look like a regular season game. Just my .02

BwZsPH2.jpg

True, but patches create the opportunity to sell another jersey featuring a patch. There is someone out there that already owns a white Drew Brees jersey who will buy another one that has the Super Bowl patch.

That person is an oatmealbrain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If there was no patch on the Laker/Celtic jersey's, would you have known that the photo was taken during an NBA Finals game? I think its a nice touch to have those patches, its an easy idicator of when the photo was taken. Without the patches it would look like a regular season game. Just my .02

Good point, and one worth considering when judging the NFL's decision to standardize Super Bowl logos.

Even though I love the anticipation and the inevitable disappointment of seeing each year's new Super Bowl design, I think standardizing the logos and putting the focal point on the trophy is very intelligent. It becomes more about the branding the Super Bowl and the Lombardi Trophy as opposed to branding the event being at whatever location its in. Seems like they were already playing with that idea in the last few Super Bowls by getting rid of excess localized design elements (like nautical flags, bridges, states, etc) in favor of standardize fonts and design elements (red and blue stars). Looks like they decided to pair it down to what matters and what screams Super Bowl....the Lombardi trophy.

Works for the NBA, NHL, and CFL....why not the NFL?

You may question the execution, but I would argue that the intention is quite strong and well thought out.

Good point, and one worth considering when judging the NFL's decision to standardize Super Bowl logos.

Even though I love the anticipation and the inevitable disappointment of seeing each year's new Super Bowl design, I think standardizing the logos and putting the focal point on the trophy is very intelligent. It becomes more about the branding the Super Bowl and the Lombardi Trophy as opposed to branding the event being at whatever location its in. Seems like they were already playing with that idea in the last few Super Bowls by getting rid of excess localized design elements (like nautical flags, bridges, states, etc) in favor of standardize fonts and design elements (red and blue stars). Looks like they decided to pair it down to what matters and what screams Super Bowl....the Lombardi trophy.

Works for the NBA, NHL, and CFL....why not the NFL?

You may question the execution, but I would argue that the intention is quite strong and well thought out.

The thing is though, it's kind of late in the game. Had they started to do this back when the Super Bowl logos were glorified wordmarks, sure, then it would fly today, no problem. The issue, though, is that this is abruptly ending 40+ years of unique, colourful logos.

As for the NBA and NHL, well to be honest the Super Bowl is a much bigger deal then either the NBA or Stanley Cup Finals. So it could be argued that while standardized logos work for the NBA and NHL, the unique logos each year work for an event like the Super Bowl.

The CFL actually has a new unique logo each year. They share similar elements, but they're still unique. From what we've heard regarding this new "Super Bowl logo system" the Super Bowl logos won't be as diverse as the Grey Cup logos.

The execution isn't something I can look past either. If they said they were going to standardize the Super Bowl logo, and then came out with a great mark, the change would be easier to deal with. As is, though, we got a terrible design.

I don't like how the NBA has been taking pictures of

the players/teams holding the trophy for the commercial bumpers

during the finals.

You shouldn't get to hold it unless you win it.

I don't mind the patch because it is symbolizing the series,

not the champion in this case.

sig-1.png

Archived