College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

Just looked it up, this is the fifth different helmet Virginia Tech has worn this season and the seventh different helmet in the last two years. Oregon hasn't worn that many.

Yep, you're right. Tech has worn Maroon, Black, Orange, White, and White w/striping in 2010/2011.

Oregon has worn Flat Black, Green, Carbon, and White in 2010. Throw in the Yellow and the Throwback Yellow in 2009, they've "only" worn 6 in the last two years.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked it up, this is the fifth different helmet Virginia Tech has worn this season and the seventh different helmet in the last two years. Oregon hasn't worn that many.

Yep, you're right. Tech has worn Maroon, Black, Orange, White, and White w/striping in 2010/2011.

Oregon has worn Flat Black, Green, Carbon, and White in 2010. Throw in the Yellow and the Throwback Yellow in 2009, they've "only" worn 6 in the last two years.

Oregon's worn two different versions of the Carbon helmet, though.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Let Northwestern go with purple and black, stick with purple and white, Horny Toads.

I too prefer the normal purple jerseys... but doesn't TCU normally wear purple jerseys with black pants at home and all white on the road?

Usually TCU wears purple tops and black pants at home. Until this season they would break out black tops and purple pants at home if they felt the other team disrespected them leading up to the game (BYU in 2008, SMU in 2009 for example).

TCU has worn purple/black/purple in 3 bowl games now: Sun Bowl win over USC, Poinsettia Bowl win over Boise and now the Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin.

It looks off because it had a black or purple drop shadow which is hard to see in those photos. I think TCU's cleats were slipping because of nerves. After the first quarter they were settled in pretty good. And Wisconsin slipped around as well.

TCU hasn't used a drop shadow since 2007. Starting in 2008, the numbers had an outline.

I think they look off bc they are larger than standard numbers in that font.

They aren't standard purple pants because the purple pants were not in TCU'S uni combinations.

They were the purple pants TCU used with black tops through 2009. They are not pro combat or the same template as TCU's new hom uniforms. They were only used bc it was such a last minute decision. I expect TCU's equipment manager to order the new pants in purple for next season.

Anyone catch the guy in the crowd wearing the complete University of Miami Pro Combat uniform last night - green helmet included? I didn't DVR the game otherwise I would take a picture of it. They showed him at least twice while panning over the crowd... I want to say near the end of the 3rd quarter and again early 4th. It looked very legitimate... the helmet even had a visor.

Also, I love those orange helmets VaTech wore last night. The shade of orange was so unique and it showcased the VT logo very nicely.

I also thought the game looked pretty nice last night. Maroon and orange is just a hideous color combination, IMHO, but VT's white jerseys and pants with the classic (albeit truncated) striping make it look as good as possible. And Stanford's classic look would be enhanced if they went back to having TV numbers on the sleeves. Not sure why the wizards at Nike thought that removing them was a good idea.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Anyone catch the guy in the crowd wearing the complete University of Miami Pro Combat uniform last night - green helmet included? I didn't DVR the game otherwise I would take a picture of it. They showed him at least twice while panning over the crowd... I want to say near the end of the 3rd quarter and again early 4th. It looked very legitimate... the helmet even had a visor.

Also, I love those orange helmets VaTech wore last night. The shade of orange was so unique and it showcased the VT logo very nicely.

Miami auctioned their pro combat rivalry stuff

Let Northwestern go with purple and black, stick with purple and white, Horny Toads.

I too prefer the normal purple jerseys... but doesn't TCU normally wear purple jerseys with black pants at home and all white on the road?

Usually TCU wears purple tops and black pants at home. Until this season they would break out black tops and purple pants at home if they felt the other team disrespected them leading up to the game (BYU in 2008, SMU in 2009 for example).

TCU has worn purple/black/purple in 3 bowl games now: Sun Bowl win over USC, Poinsettia Bowl win over Boise and now the Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin.

TCU wore Black/Purple/Purple in the Rose Bowl.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

TCU wore Black/Purple/Purple in the Rose Bowl.

No, it was definitely purple/black/purple.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What color helmet did the Chookies wear against JMU?????

Stripeless White

Yeah the cleats were not a problem. Florida was wearing the same cleats against Penn State and no one said a word about that.

People just like to trash Nike for no reason...

Since it was reported on from the sideline by Erin Andrews on ESPN about it being a problem, complete with comments from TCU equipment staff that they wanted to change cleats but didn't bring another option, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you.

Did you watch the game and just miss the lengthy discussion on it?

From @slmandel of SI: "Oregon is supposed to wear the same new Nike cleats that had TCU slipping all over the Rose Bowl. They brought backups."

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Yeah the cleats were not a problem. Florida was wearing the same cleats against Penn State and no one said a word about that.

People just like to trash Nike for no reason...

Since it was reported on from the sideline by Erin Andrews on ESPN about it being a problem, complete with comments from TCU equipment staff that they wanted to change cleats but didn't bring another option, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you.

Did you watch the game and just miss the lengthy discussion on it?

From @slmandel of SI: "Oregon is supposed to wear the same new Nike cleats that had TCU slipping all over the Rose Bowl. They brought backups."

EA was mistaken. TCU had back-ups there. The new cleats weren't the problem. TCU is fast and that was just a bad field for speedy players. The guys slipping weren't wearing the new alpha talons; they were wearing the same carbon vapors they wore all season and some last season (which are molded and don't have detachable cleats). If they changed, the only difference would have been the color.

Miami (OH) are wearing new helmets for their bowl game against Middle Tennessee tonight. They white with the "M" logo on one side, the player's number on the other, and two thin red stripes in the middle (normally have stripeless helmets).

Something interesting from Uni Watch:

Tigers changing their stripes?: Under Armour released a new commercial yesterday. Apparently it ran about a jillion times on ESPN, although I didn?t see it myself until about a dozen readers brought it to my attention. Take a look and see if you can spot what those readers spotted:

As I bet most of you saw, the pants in the jersey have a Northwestern stripe, instead of Auburn?s usual solid stripe. Several readers opined that this solved the one major problem they see in Auburn?s uniform, namely that the pants striping doesn?t match the helmet or sleeve striping.

This raises two questions:

1) Is this Under Armour?s way of letting us know that Auburn will have new pants striping for the game against Oregon on Monday night?

2) Regardless of what happens on Monday, is it really necessary for all the stripe patterns to match up? Is it even a good idea? When three elements are in such close physical proximity to each other, I think having them all repeat is a bit much. I know some people get all bent out of shape if sleeve stripes don?t match up with sock stripes and so on, but I think there?s a tendency to overthink these things. Personally, I don?t think it?s such a travesty that the current pants striping doesn?t match up with the sleeves or helmet.

Miami (OH) are wearing new helmets for their bowl game against Middle Tennessee tonight. They white with the "M" logo on one side, the player's number on the other, and two thin red stripes in the middle (normally have stripeless helmets).

The problem with the set is that the current "M" on the front of the jersey ruins the look of the presumed throwback set.

Archived