College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both teams look great. Wisconsin rarely wears red pants anymore so those are nice to see. The only thing that bothers me is Wisconsin's helmet treatment. It's bugged me for a long time, but I hate how dark the motion W and stripes are on Wisconsin's helmet. The Red doesn't match anything in the rest of the uniform.

The non matching red bothered me today too. Aren't they to be a cardinal red, but use the traditional red? I think they would look so much better with the darker red.

It wasn't as bad as Tennessee the other night in the Music City Bowl.

Well I saw the TCU team picture and they were wearing the new BCS jerseys complete with patches, but they had purple pants. I'm thinking that might be the real deal. I'll try to find the picture

165497_188266757854723_161980173816715_756835_4161018_n.jpg

Hmm...that looks pretty neat. With the purple helmet they'll be wearing, it reminds me alot of what Northwestern wore in the 1996 Rose Bowl:

81474605.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54821E0BC37D7EAE745FAD3D47826D9324A2C4440DFEF733CD8

That Northwestern set is one of my top 10 most missed looks. They're almost there right now, I mean they're using "northwestern" stripes again (though not on the pants <_< ) which is a step in the right direction towards perfection, but if they went purple black purple full time again and replaced the N-Kitty on the sleeves in that picture with some white-black-purple-black-white northwestern stripes they would be perfect. TCU showed how good it can look today. Bring it back Northwestern.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sorry if this is a dumb ?, but what is up with adding red on TCU's unis?

Your question isn't dumb... a supposedly self-respecting institute of higher learning allowing an outside coporation to run rough-shod over their colors and tradition? Now that is dumb.

woah...take a chill pill man

I like the red, and its on there for a REASON

And there was a reason SMU wore black. Having a reason for something doesn't suddenly make it good.

Let Northwestern go with purple and black, stick with purple and white, Horny Toads.

I too prefer the normal purple jerseys... but doesn't TCU normally wear purple jerseys with black pants at home and all white on the road?

for as long as i can remember.

ladainian-tomlinson-tcu-rushing-8x10-photo_4f22824e179eae40afe9813fa2d6cef5.jpg

theyve also been sporting the alternating black/purple sets for a while, but it was the first time they broke out the purple pants this year (i believe). i prefer the black or white pants. the purple remind me of kstate and northwestern too much.

last year's set...

amd_kerley.jpg

Jeremy%20Kerley%20action.jpg

this year's...

andy-dalton.jpg

1225_dalton.ART0_G9B16S8NJ.1+1225_dalton.IMG.standalone.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

and my personal favorite...

208grhe.jpg

while i do like most of the modern/different takes that nike has offered up over the years, i dig that TCU's gear has stayed within the primary framework... as opposed to complete overhauls.

I didn't hear the comment, but my roommate said the commentators said that TCU's cleats were not performing very well. These were the specially designed ones by Nike, the same that Oregon will be wearing. How awesome would it be if Oregon lost the championship game strictly because of Nike?

I didn't hear the comment, but my roommate said the commentators said that TCU's cleats were not performing very well. These were the specially designed ones by Nike, the same that Oregon will be wearing. How awesome would it be if Oregon lost the championship game strictly because of Nike?

Yeah i heard them say that TCU players were slipping and it was most likely because of the new cleats.

208grhe.jpg

Thats my favorite of the group too, just looks awesome.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Yeah i heard them say that TCU players were slipping and it was most likely because of the new cleats.

They said that TCU would change out of them if they could, but the equipment managers forgot the other shoes so they had nothing to change in to

Hilarious.

I call BS, Really SMU? Why can't we let the Military Academy programs just be football players just for a few hours a day during their seasons. <_<

At the start of the game the announcers said that SMU is wearing black to honor Army and all members of the military.

Why couldn't they do that wearing red, white, and blue?

I don't know how much BS it really is considering SMU has worn a 9-11 sticker on the helmet and June Jones has worn it on his headset during the regular season. Also, June Jones always schedules an armed forces team during the regular season.

For those who have not followed June Jones throughout his coaching career, illwauk hit on it--this is BFBS of the HIGHEST order...and Jones and Jerry Glanville are the biggest and most consistent offenders of this.

Jones can say whatever he wants--hell, even for this game, the cover might have been legitimate--but what you saw today was Jones officially putting his stamp on SMU, by pulling his favorite lil' trick just in time for the whole nation to notice. Recall he and Jerry Glanville did this while with the Atlanta Falcons; both went on to do the same thing in college--Glanville at Portland State, and Jones at Hawaii.

As a matter of fact, unbeknownst to many, Jones actually helped spearhead Hawaii's athletic rebranding, being of the belief that both the nickname "Rainbow Warriors" as well as the rainbow-esque trim on the uniforms looked "wussy". If you can recall Hawaii's worst-to-first turnaround season of 1999, the football team wore (what were supposed to be) throwback uniforms and helmets, to commemorate (I believe it was the) 1974 or 1977 season, or somewhere in there. Anyway, the Rainbows wore white helmets that season. What'd they wear in 1999? Black helmets. The years following saw more and more black introduced into the football team's (and the rest of the athletic teams') identity.

So yeah--June Jones has a track record for this kind of stuff.

Doesn't June Jones always wear black shirts every game? I thought it could have something to do with that, which still doesn't make much sense.

They said that TCU would change out of them if they could, but the equipment managers forgot the other shoes so they had nothing to change in to

TCU got new cleats designed for the Rose Bowl (game) but apparently weren't designed for the Rose Bowl (stadium). Kirk Herbstreit was all over TCU slipping on the turf the first 5 minutes of the game, and Erin Andrews reported that coaches/players noticed slipping in practice but they had no other model of shoe to switch.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

TCU got new cleats designed for the Rose Bowl (game) but apparently weren't designed for the Rose Bowl (stadium). Kirk Herbstreit was all over TCU slipping on the turf the first 5 minutes of the game, and Erin Andrews reported that coaches/players noticed slipping in practice but they had no other model of shoe to switch.

It had also rained a lot in southern California the past week, so that probably didn't help things.

It had also rained a lot in southern California the past week, so that probably didn't help things.

Rose Bowl doesn't have a tarp?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Let Northwestern go with purple and black, stick with purple and white, Horny Toads.

I too prefer the normal purple jerseys... but doesn't TCU normally wear purple jerseys with black pants at home and all white on the road?

theyve also been sporting the alternating black/purple sets for a while, but it was the first time they broke out the purple pants this year (i believe). i prefer the black or white pants. the purple remind me of kstate and northwestern too much.

last year's set...

amd_kerley.jpg

this year's...

andy-dalton.jpg

208grhe.jpg

while i do like most of the modern/different takes that nike has offered up over the years, i dig that TCU's gear has stayed within the primary framework... as opposed to complete overhauls.

Is it just me or were last years number font awkward?

last year's set...

amd_kerley.jpg

this year's...

andy-dalton.jpg

208grhe.jpg

Is it just me or were last years number font awkward?

Last year's font is the same as the font on Air Force's unis. I don't know if it's awkward, per se, because it's a common font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It looks off because it had a black or purple drop shadow which is hard to see in those photos. I think TCU's cleats were slipping because of nerves. After the first quarter they were settled in pretty good. And Wisconsin slipped around as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah the cleats were not a problem. Florida was wearing the same cleats against Penn State and no one said a word about that.

People just like to trash Nike for no reason...

Since it was reported on from the sideline by Erin Andrews on ESPN about it being a problem, complete with comments from TCU equipment staff that they wanted to change cleats but didn't bring another option, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you.

Did you watch the game and just miss the lengthy discussion on it?

Archived