Monday, May 31 at Chicago, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

Wednesday, June 2 at Philadelphia, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

Friday, June 4 at Philadelphia, 8 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS

*Sunday, June 6 at Chicago, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

*Wednesday, June 9 at Philadelphia, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

*Friday, June 11 at Chicago, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

Dear Mr.Bettman,

Wanna get more fans of the NHL? Heres how:

1. PLEASE MOVE YOUR GAMES TO A NETWORK WHO ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT HOCKEY! Some of us dont get Versus which means if its a sweep we the fans get screwed. NBC has more TV coverage of poker than hockey? How the hell you gonna let poker beat hockey? Really?!

and finally number 2: Just do us all a favor and step down! Notice that not only does no one like you, but your buddies Bud, Roger and David are just as bad. Of the major 5 sports leagues the only comissioner that is actually somewhat liked is Don Garber of MLS. Again like the poker, how the hell you gonna let soccer beat hockey?

From the fans of hockey

(end of rant)

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stanley Cup Schedule.

Saturday, May 29 at Chicago, 8 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

Dear Mr.Bettman,

1. PLEASE MOVE YOUR GAMES TO A NETWORK WHO ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT HOCKEY! Some of us dont get Versus which means if its a sweep we the fans get screwed. NBC has more TV coverage of poker than hockey? How the hell you gonna let poker beat hockey? Really?!

and finally number 2: Just do us all a favor and step down! Notice that not only does no one like you, but your buddies Bud, Roger and David are just as bad. Of the major 5 sports leagues the only comissioner that is actually somewhat liked is Don Garber of MLS. Again like the poker, how the hell you gonna let soccer beat hockey?

From the fans of hockey

(end of rant)

I suggest that network be ESPN with Gary Thorne calling the games. ^_^

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Stanley Cup Schedule.

Dear Mr.Bettman,

From the fans of hockey

(end of rant)

ESPN hates hockey. They've always treated it like a red headed step child, and now especially that they dont have it, they openly mock it. ESPN can go shove it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

You know, as a hockey fan, and someone who still has the sense in his head he was born with, I'm really effing tired of this argument. Versus is a network that cares about hockey. In fact, outside of the NHL Network, they're the channel that cares the most about hockey. It is, without a doubt, their marquee product. They coddle it, they nurture it, they honestly do promote it, and they do more with it than ESPN or any broadcast network ever would. Yes, the studio show is still on the weak side, and the continued use of Joe Beninati is inexcusable, but these are small flaws in the grand scheme of things. And the whole "people don't even know what that channel is" bit is incredibly stale, and simply not fact-based. Take a look at the ratings for Blackhawks playoff games here in Chicago, and you'll see that people don't seem to have much of a problem finding it at all when they want to watch.

And if you're whining about not being able to see all (potentially) seven games of the series because you don't have cable, either join the other 95% of the country who does, or stream it online, like anyone with a modicum of internet savvy. I don't understand when not having all 7 games of the Finals on network TV became some sort of travesty. I was born in 1978, spent the first 21 years of my life without cable, and there wasn't a single damn hockey game to watch on network TV, outside of All-Star games, until 1995. This is not some new Bettman-era ruination of the sport. This is the way it has been far more often than it has not, because, as much as devoted fans love hockey, the national numbers prove out time and again that yes, the American television audience as a whole would rather watch poker than a hockey game, unless it involves Team USA playing for a gold medal. So suck it up, and be thankful you get to watch great playoff hockey at all, rather than throwing a bitch-fit that it's not on your preferred channel.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

the studio show is still on the weak side

Mostly based on the outfit and grooming of Brian Engblom, I had a friend ask why the television was picking up a transmission from 15 years ago. I had to laugh a little.

I get Versus, so I can't complain too much, but I see where people would've been miffed about the arrangement during the DirecTV imbroglio. NBC does a terrible job producing its hockey telecasts, what with Hockey Matt Millen, Lucky Pierre, and that shrieking troll Emrick, but at least they're producing telecasts, and it's a preferable alternative to everything being on Versus so that casual observers might accidentally land on a game and like what they see.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Stanley Cup Schedule.

Dear Mr.Bettman,

From the fans of hockey

(end of rant)

ESPN hates hockey. They've always treated it like a red headed step child, and now especially that they dont have it, they openly mock it. ESPN can go shove it.

Watching Around the Horn today and Woody Paige and Kevin Blackistone (I know) both stated that the Flyers and Hawks don't have "Star Players" and that this Stanley Cup Finals will be unappealing. I'm aware their opinions don't necessarily reflect the thoughts of ESPN but come on their are so many story lines that can be made from these finals.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Watching Around the Horn today and Woody Paige and Kevin Blackistone (I know) both stated that the Flyers and Hawks don't have "Star Players" and that this Stanley Cup Finals will be unappealing. I'm aware their opinions don't necessarily reflect the thoughts of ESPN but come on their are so many story lines that can be made from these finals.

Stars? Maybe not.

All-Stars, points-scorers, and Olympic Medalists? Yes.

Big Name =! Big Talent

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

I havent watched ATH or PTI in the last 18 months or so, but the only person across either of those shows that I thought even had a modicum of a clue on the NHL was Wilborn. As for the NHL on ESPN, at one time they did do a good job, it was when they picked up the NBA contract that their coverage of the NHL went straight to hell.

Dear Mr.Bettman,

From the fans of hockey

(end of rant)

It seems as if ESPN regulars, especially those on ATH and PTI, go out of their way to slam the NHL, making obnoxious quotes like "Hockey is played in Nashville?" and "What's an Ovechkin?". And these idiot reporters, who say they don't waste their time watching hockey, seem to know and have time to follow rubbish such as Nascar, women's college basketball, and horseracing. And since ESPN no longer has the NHL, I'm sure the 'higher-ups' love that the NHL is crippled, in part to their sports network. It disgusts me.

6uXNWAo.png

This series has plenty of stars.

To the non-hockey world, perhaps Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are the only stars, I don't know.

But if Chris Pronger, Marion Hossa, Jonathon Toews, and Patrick Kane aren't stars, then hockey is apparently incapable of having stars. Aside from that, who cares if there are stars?

I havent watched ATH or PTI in the last 18 months or so, but the only person across either of those shows that I thought even had a modicum of a clue on the NHL was Wilborn. As for the NHL on ESPN, at one time they did do a good job, it was when they picked up the NBA contract that their coverage of the NHL went straight to hell.

Off-topic: Also the NBA coverage shouldnt be on ABC/ESPN it should be back where it belongs NBC.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Isn't one of the guys on PTI actually a Caps fan? I thought I heard that somewhere, though I can't say I watch the show much.

Tony Kornheiser is but I think he's just a fan come April or when Ovechkin does something amazing.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Isn't one of the guys on PTI actually a Caps fan? I thought I heard that somewhere, though I can't say I watch the show much.

Tony Kornheiser is but I think he's just a fan come April or when Ovechkin does something amazing.

Kornheiser is NOT a Caps fan, neither is Wilbon. They both write/used to write for the Washington Post so when the Caps/Ovechkin do something they claim to be experts. Make no mistake about it, they slam the Caps as often as possible.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

As a hockey fan it's my gut instinct to join the "HATE ESPN" bandwagon, but ultimately I can't. ESPN is a business entity. They don't cover hockey extensively because ratings indicate American sports fans, by and large, don't care about hockey. They take pot shots at the NHL because the majority of American sports fans think of hockey in a comical manner at worst and with indifference at best. So really, I can't fault them for doing what makes the most business sense.

The gut reaction to these revelations would be that the NHL has to start trying to make themselves relevant to the average American sports fan. The problem is that they've been trying to do that for years and nothing has changed.

So with that in mind VS seems like a perfect fit for the NHL in the States. It's a niche channel, sure, but realistically the NHL is a niche league in the US. And the chances of it getting any better are slim to nil.

*goes back to watching TSN and CBC*

As a hockey fan it's my gut instinct to join the "HATE ESPN" bandwagon, but ultimately I can't. ESPN is a business entity. They don't cover hockey extensively because ratings indicate American sports fans, by and large, don't care about hockey. They take pot shots at the NHL because the majority of American sports fans think of hockey in a comical manner at worst and with indifference at best. So really, I can't fault them for doing what makes the most business sense.

The gut reaction to these revelations would be that the NHL has to start trying to make themselves relevant to the average American sports fan. The problem is that they've been trying to do that for years and nothing has changed.

So with that in mind VS seems like a perfect fit for the NHL in the States. It's a niche channel, sure, but realistically the NHL is a niche league in the US. And the chances of it getting any better are slim to nil.

*goes back to watching TSN and CBC*

Honestly, if they aren't going to cover the NHL in a serious manner, don't even mention them. Pretend they don't exist. Don't take cheapshots at a league that you aren't covering. Show the highlights if you must, but at least be professional about it. I honestly could care less whether ESPN has hockey or not. I have Versus. I have CSN that dedicates alot of time to our local team. Whether or not ESPN has it doesn't matter to me, but what matters to me is that they treat it like a joke when they could just pretend it doesn't exist.

Archived