2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

Don't draw and quarter me for this, guys, but shouldn't a tournament of this magnitude dispose of ties? Why don't they go to sudden death overtime instead? Maybe then we wouldn't have to fret about the possibility, however remote, of the USA or England being eliminated by a slip of paper being drawn from a hat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes the games down the road much more meaningful and FIFA got rid of the "Golden Goal"

This Tournament's just getting started, Knockout Stages this weekend.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Uruguay continues the South American dominance. I wonder why everybody slept on the South American teams coming into this World Cup?

I dunno :)

*quietly points at picks where I had all 5 South American teams making it through, and 4 in the quarterfinals :P *

Don't draw and quarter me for this, guys, but shouldn't a tournament of this magnitude dispose of ties? Why don't they go to sudden death overtime instead? Maybe then we wouldn't have to fret about the possibility, however remote, of the USA or England being eliminated by a slip of paper being drawn from a hat.

Sudden death in soccer is a hot mess to say the least

Why? Being as close to hockey as soccer is, sudden death overtime seems like the natural way to go about ending an important game that stays tied (which I'd contend that all World Cup games must be). The only way I can see it being a disaster is if they were to go another 90 minutes without scoring, but my hunch from a few years of dead-puck NHL is that a lot of those scoreless ties are the result of both teams backing off and playing for the tie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm all for goal difference deciding who goes through and who goes home, but I am so against drawing from lots. Though it hasn't happened in recent memory I have a bad feeling that it's going to happen at least once this year - and whoever loses out I feel sorry for. Instead I think teams should play a winner takes all game to see who goes through - definately a much fairer option and more exciting!

Why? Being as close to hockey as soccer is, sudden death overtime seems like the natural way to go about ending an important game that stays tied (which I'd contend that all World Cup games must be). The only way I can see it being a disaster is if they were to go another 90 minutes without scoring, but my hunch from a few years of dead-puck NHL is that a lot of those scoreless ties are the result of both teams backing off and playing for the tie.

I'd surmise that it's because, like you said, nobody wants to see soccer players trudge up and down a pitch for potentially 2 and a half hours on the field. The problem isn't the ties, it's the tiebreakers. The fact that FIFA goes to lots so quickly in this day & age is kind of crazy, but this is the same organization that is satisfied with how the officiating has been thus far. (To be fair, the refs were excellent through the first week, but it took a massive nosedive quickly. But I digress.)

I would say just go straight to penalty kicks in case of a tie in the group stages...but people already hate penalty kicks to begin with when it comes to determining elimination games, & those matches have MUCH higher stakes than group stage games. I'd say that they just need to leave well enough alone. It's possible that the drawing of lots could occur, but it's going to need some amazing coincidences to occur during the simultaneous England/Slovenia & USA/Algeria games, coincidences that I wouldn't put money on happening.

The only other time that lots have been drawn was 1990, and looking at it, under current rules, they would not have drawn lots there - they would have had a shootout.

As it is, it seems they go to lots too quickly, but consider this. For them to go to lots, two teams would not only have to score the same number of goals and concede the same number, but they'd also have to have drawn each other.

LvZYtbZ.png

Nigeria's found the net early. 1-0 Super Eagles.

And Korea Republic redeem themselves. This could be the best game of the tournament so far.

Also it's still a deadlock between Argentina and Greece.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Nigeria's found the net early. 1-0 Super Eagles.

And Korea Republic redeem themselves. This could be the best game of the tournament so far.

Also it's still a deadlock between Argentina and Greece.

And South Korea takes the lead 2-1.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

On the other side of this, when the olympic gold medal hockey game went to overtime my friend (who doesn't watch any sport besides soccer) asked me "is this golden goal?". I responded with "yes, but never refer to it as "golden goal" ever again." Come to think of it, I can't think of any hockey overtime at any level that doesn't use "golden goal".

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived