Craig Biggio's Helmet

ltjets21

Here's an article from MLB.com about the helmets.

I remember seeing Jim Rome talking about it on his show. A lot of minor leaguers say they feel dumb wearing them. I think they look pretty stupid, but if it can withstand a 100 mph fastball then I'd wear one lol.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Is it just dirty?

That dirt is hustle, dagnabit! His uniform was usually filthy by the second inning.

As far as the size. Biggio is just a smaller looking fellow, that's all. At least compared to, say, Jeff Bagwell.

Yeah, it's a regulation helmet dirtied up cause there's lots of pine tar on it. FWIW I'm pretty sure the anti-concussion helmets weren't in use before Biggio retired at the end of the '07 season. Also, fun fact no one besides me gives a :censored: about, Biggio was born and grew up about 5 minutes from me. Maybe a bit homerish but I feel he's one of the most underrated players in baseball.

I never got the whole pine tar all over the helmet fad.

I don't see how it's a fad? They use pine tar to grip the bats, they don't do it to look cool.

Like you said, they use pine tar to give them better grip on the bat. What purpose does it serve on the helmet? I know batters can layer it on the helmet for if they need it during an at bat but most guys just layer it on the handle of the bat above where they grip (which makes much more sense to me). It seems like some guys go out of their way to make their helmets so heavily covered in pine tar and dirt, it's not just from rubbing off when they adjust their helmet.

I don't see how it's a fad? They use pine tar to grip the bats, they don't do it to look cool.

Like you said, they use pine tar to give them better grip on the bat. What purpose does it serve on the helmet? I know batters can layer it on the helmet for if they need it during an at bat but most guys just layer it on the handle of the bat above where they grip (which makes much more sense to me). It seems like some guys go out of their way to make their helmets so heavily covered in pine tar and dirt, it's not just from rubbing off when they adjust their helmet.

A batting helmet is worn at least four times a game. How many times does a batter touch it with gunked-up gloves during a game? Assuming he never gets a new helmet and never cleans the one he has, then I'd bet it gets pretty bad just from that. Some guys are probably convinced they can never have enough of it. And after spring training and 162 regular-season games, it's going to get pretty nasty.

The batters touch their helmets to get more pine tar if needed during an at bat. Like I always say if it can help their game, who cares what it looks like. Sometimes people get so caught up how something looks, but you always need to factor in stuff like performance, comfort, safety.

Ahhhh, the Boston look.

R28_manny_sox_helmet.jpg

Is it really the "Boston Look"??? I know that Manny wore a helmet like that while in Boston, but it was pretty commonly used by other players as well; I can recall Vlad Guerrero in Anaheim/Los Angeles and I believe a number of other players wore them at about the same time Manny did.

Ahhhh, the Boston look.

R28_manny_sox_helmet.jpg

Was not winning a championship for almost 100 years the Boston look too? I guess it takes a couple of 'roid monkeys hitting clean up to loose that look.

That being said, they were an unrelenting 1,2 punch for a few years.

Archived