Bobby Cox On Silver Jackets

NJTank

When Bobby Cox first saw teh Braves new silver jackets he was quite upset.

"I?d rather wear pink,? he growled. ?It?s embarrassing. I hate it.?

Cox and the Braves were dismayed that their longtime blue warmup jackets were replaced with silver ones, a change they knew nothing about until they arrived at Shea Stadium and found them in their lockers.Cox stopped at Mike Hampton?s locker and told the starting pitcher, ?You?d better go nine today because I?m not going to the mound looking like this.?

A team official indicated that all on-field apparel is regulated by Major League Baseball.

Story

capt.xnyr50904160205.braves_mets_xnyr509.jpg

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

And my verdict - :puke: I don't care for them.

Who hires these upper management people? :therock: - what 'fashion' idiots they have in the front office of MLB. I mean, the Dallas Mavs go silver unis - (I'm kinda glad the San Antonio Spurs didn't go that way). First they get rid of powder blue (all hail the denver nuggets who used power blue) and now this "silver thing" is starting to roll.

Sorry guys I'm ranting on - :cursing:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Personally, I don't mind the Braves "silver" (they look more gray than silver to me) jackets. Now, granted, they don't look too great on the diamond, but let me say this: they go pretty well with jeans while at the ballgame. Case in point? Look below:

http://www.thesouvenirstore.com/Boston/Red...38&categoryID=6

I just got mine last week, and they match pretty well with my typical ballgame attire: jeans, a t-shirt and a my Red Sox hat (a matching gray fashion cap, of course lol)

Somethings are left better off to the fans.

Just looking at the jacket alone, they look pretty good, but when matched with the pants, I agree, they don't look good. We sell the gray ones in the Mariners store, but they have worn the navy jackets for every game, home and away. The Cubs and Braves are the only teams I have seen actually wear these in a game, so it must be somewhat up to the individual teams, not just an order from MLB.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I know that Bobby Cox also hung towels in front of the dugout Monday night so he could not be seen on camera. That all changed last night when he argued a call for 5 minutes, then got tossed. I kind of like the jackets to be honest.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

The Tigers wore the silver/grey jackets on their opening road trip to Toronto. The jackets looked like the road jersey with "Detroit" spelled out in cursive in blue and orange. At home, they are wearing the blue/white jacket with the same cursive "Detroit" spelled out in white.

The White Sox have silver jackets, too... I don't mind them, but it's just another way for MLB to trot out another $150 jacket for fans to buy. For instance, the Red Sox now have 3 official jackets, buy we have yet to see them wearing the grey one. It looks like this was a relatively isolated experiment, as some teams are still only wearing one jacket.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Tradition.

It IS a rule they they have to have a number. If they choose to not wear a jersey, then their pullover must have their number on it. Most managers (including Cox) wear the jersey with a jacket over it. Some (such as Buck Showalter) wear a different style jacket with a number on the sleeve.

As long as Old, Overweight Managers continue to squeeze themselves into the uniforms I don't know how Cox can be embarrassed about the color of a Jacket. Besides I watched a few innings of the Braves/Marlins game earlier and I didn't think they looked too bad, and I would say they look more like a flat Grey than a shiny Silver.

It may be tradition, but it's time for the Managers to wear "Coaches" gear the way the NFL Coaches do. They could get some stylish casual wear, even going with Jogging type oufits with the team colors as the striping down the side. They can wear Sweatshirts or Sweaters early and late in the year (again, like the NFL coaches do when the weather turns colder in the fall) and move to short sleeve "Golf Shirts" when the heat of summer hits.

Imagine if other sports went this route and Phil Jackson strolled the Lakers Courtside in baggy shorts and a tank top? Or if Lindy Ruff wore a Sabres hockey Jersey and Short Pants behind the bench... Oh wait then he would look like every third fan in the stands.

Off the topic a bit..... Open letter to all sports fans, if your going to purchase a Football, Hockey, Basketball etc..... Jersey to wear, either leave the name blank or put an actual past or present players name on the jersey, don't put your own last name on it, it looks goofy. It gives the appearance like your a 30 year old overweight ex-high school jock who wants to live the fantasy that he actually plays for the Steelers, Raiders, Canadiens etc..... AND DON'T TUCK IN YOUR FOOTBALL OR HOCKEY JERSEY!!! it's a sports jersey not a dress shirt! <_<

Archived