Been There, Done That...Or Not

BlueSky

It surprised me to learn that the Saints were only the 18th NFL franchise to win the Super Bowl. That got me to thinking that it would be interesting to see a list. So FWIW:

Won:

49ers

Bears

Broncos

Bucs

Chiefs

Colts

Cowboys

Dolphins

Giants

Jets

Packers

Patriots

Raiders

Rams

Ravens

Redskins

Saints

Steelers

Went, didn't win:

Bengals

Bills

Cardinals

Chargers

Eagles

Falcons

Panthers

Seahawks

Titans

Vikings

Never been:

Browns

Jaguars

Lions

Texans

As someone pointed out recently, it should be mentioned that the Eagles, Lions and Browns have NFL Championships prior to the SB era.

Which of the never beens will go first, and when? That might be an interesting debate. And here's another question: what's worse, being a fan whose team hasn't been close, at least in the modern era, (Lions et al) or to have been close but no cigar (Bills, Vikes, Browns and so on)?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Of the never beens, my gut tells me Houston will be the next one off the list. Their division is typically a tough one, so if they can catch the Titans and Colts on a semi-down year, that's their chance.

And here's another question: what's worse, being a fan whose team hasn't been close, at least in the modern era, (Lions et al) or to have been close but no cigar (Bills, Vikes, Browns and so on)?

Being a fan of the Vikes is tough at times. They have not won a big game since an upset win of the 49ers in about the 1987 playoffs. Sure they've won a few playoff games, but they were supposed to win them. When it really matters, they always find a way to lose. But I'd still rather follow a team that usually gives me reason to pay attention and hope that they can somehow break the curse. Following a team that goes 3-13 every year does not sound appealing. Just ask a T-Wolves fan.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And here's another question: what's worse, being a fan whose team hasn't been close, at least in the modern era, (Lions et al) or to have been close but no cigar (Bills, Vikes, Browns and so on)?

Being a fan of the Vikes is tough at times. They have not won a big game since an upset win of the 49ers in about the 1987 playoffs. Sure they've won a few playoff games, but they were supposed to win them. When it really matters, they always find a way to lose. But I'd still rather follow a team that usually gives me reason to pay attention and hope that they can somehow break the curse. Following a team that goes 3-13 every year does not sound appealing. Just ask a T-Wolves fan.

Yeah. Anyone who says that they'd rather that their team suck as opposed to getting close and blowing it is an idiot.

The Eagles frustrate the heck out of me with their NFC Championship game losses (and I'm glad as heck that McNabb is gone forever, I hope he snaps his femur in DC) but the fun of having every game count for something, and the party atmosphere going in to each playoff game is amazing. Sports isn't about your team winning a championship, it's about bringing people together and having fun, and that happens more when your team is good, even if they don't win it all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If Jack Del Rio wasn't an idiot, their Head Coach and they didn't have David Garrard at Quarterback I would say the Jags but the Texans are in a win now attitude.

And they shouldn't be worried about facing the Colts anymore they have a team that can compete with anyone.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

As someone pointed out recently, it should be mentioned that the Eagles, Lions and Browns have NFL Championships prior to the SB era.

So do the Chargers, they won the 1964 AFL Championship game in a 51-10 rout of the Boston Patriots. The Titans franchise (as the Houston Oilers) won the first two AFL Championships in '60 and '61, also prior to the SB era. The Bills won two championships before the advent of the Super Bowl - in '64 and '65.

And the Cardinals got that controversial 1925 NFL Championship over the Pottsville Maroons, as well as another one in 1947 over the Eagles. Both were won when the team was in Chicago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

BlueSky seems to start a lot of threads that somehow relate to the Saints winning the Super Bowl.

True, but I also wonder if 'BlueSky' realizes that in the 12-team playoff era, there is 50% turnover in playoff teams from season to season.

BlueSky seems to start a lot of threads that somehow relate to the Saints winning the Super Bowl.

The dude is an old guy like me. He's been following the Saints his whole life which in his case (and mine with the Browns) is a pretty long time. They finally won something. Let him have his fun.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The dude is an old guy like me. He's been following the Saints his whole life which in his case (and mine with the Browns) is a pretty long time. They finally won something. Let him have his fun.

Perhaps we can confine it to a "Hey guys, remember the Saints won the Super Bowl?" thread.

IUe6Hvh.png

True, but I also wonder if 'BlueSky' realizes that in the 12-team playoff era, there is 50% turnover in playoff teams from season to season.

I'd doubt it since it really isn't relevant to his thread.

BB52Big.jpg

Heck, if Matthew Stafford turns into the second coming of Johnny Unitas and leads the Kittens to a Super Bowl title, you can bet on at least one commemoration thread a week from me.

True. As Bucs fan (I have a creamsicle jersey from Errict Rhett's rookie season), I know what years of misery and the joy of finally winning feels like. I have been on both sides of the fence, years of top 5 draft picks and then years of making the playoffs and losing. I'll take the making the playoffs any day over the top draft pick. Having a top 10 draft pick year after year feels hopeless, it's horrible.

The two teams I think will be next off the new to the Super Bowl list are like a few have said and it might be a trendy pick, Houston. Yet, my gut says maybe in 2011 to watch out for the Lions. Why? I have no clue, but the NFL has become funny like that. Teams come out of nowhere to win. For example, if the NFC South trend continues, expect the Saints to be 8-8 and the 2009 last place Bucs to win the division.

Usually I don't do the obvious homer thing in threads like this but... I really like what I saw with the Browns last season. Now Mike Holmgren is running the show. Of the "never beens", seeing the Browns pull a fast turnaround isn't as unlikely as it seems. I like Oddball's call on The Lions too. Call me crazy but I agree with him on that one. It wouldn't be all that shocking to see the Lions jump up out of nowhere much like the Rams did in 1999. Do I think it will happen? Probably not but it wouldn't surprise me nearly as much as would say a Redskins or Browns run at a Super Bowl.

Houston is always the trendy pick and they always fall short. They're the new Arizona Cardinals in that respect.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm thinking the Chargers finally stop the choking this year, provided Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill eventually end their holdouts. Ryan Mathews looks like he'll add an immediate spark in the Chargers' offense and provide more of a running game, taking a lot of heat off Darren Sproles, who's more of a situational back anyway.

As for the NFC, I too would not be surprised to see the Lions make a quick turnaround. They've really upgraded on both offense and defense over the offseason.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm thinking the Chargers finally stop the choking this year, provided Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill eventually end their holdouts. Ryan Mathews looks like he'll add an immediate spark in the Chargers' offense and provide more of a running game, taking a lot of heat off Darren Sproles, who's more of a situational back anyway.

As for the NFC, I too would not be surprised to see the Lions make a quick turnaround. They've really upgraded on both offense and defense over the offseason.

The Chargers have already been to the Super Bowl dude. It was in all the papers.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived