Unpopular Opinions

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

While neither are necessary, but given the current state of uniform craziness, the Arizona Cardinals would’ve been better off having a grey uniform instead of a black one

Gray would look really good with their shade of red.  I've often thought that they could get away with gray/silver helmet/pants, but an unnecessary gray jersey with an unnecessary red alt helmet and red pants wouldn't look bad at all (as long as the gray was dark enough to be obviously gray, and not dirty white).

Something like this wouldn't be bad either:

image5_1475698562355_6366990_ver1.0.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BBTV said:

Gray would look really good with their shade of red.  I've often thought that they could get away with gray/silver helmet/pants, but an unnecessary gray jersey with an unnecessary red alt helmet and red pants wouldn't look bad at all (as long as the gray was dark enough to be obviously gray, and not dirty white).

Something like this wouldn't be bad either:

image5_1475698562355_6366990_ver1.0.jpg

Washington State is exactly the team I thought of. It’s currently the closest comparison we have to Arizona.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Most NFL teams would benefit from UCLA style striping or just solid color uniforms.

Disagree on the first part.

Many NFL teams would look better if they dropped their TV numbers and pivoted their striping by 90 degrees so that more of it could be seen.  Steelers, among others, could get away with this:

Johnny_Manziel_Texas_A_M_Aggies_No._2_Ad

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Disagree on the first part.

Many NFL teams would look better if they dropped their TV numbers and pivoted their striping by 90 degrees so that more of it could be seen.  Steelers, among others, could get away with this:

Johnny_Manziel_Texas_A_M_Aggies_No._2_Ad

That’s fair and I do agree.

It wasn’t to this extent, but the Colts new alt (just the jersey itself) did a fine job. It was a happy medium.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes, that's better than a truncated sholder-hoop, but I'd either drop the numbers, or experiment with extending the stripes all the way and going with blue-outlined white numbers to see if they're legible (not that it matters anymore.)

A redundant horseshoe could also easily fit there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

Yes, that's better than a truncated sholder-hoop, but I'd either drop the numbers, or experiment with extending the stripes all the way and going with blue-outlined white numbers to see if they're legible (not that it matters anymore.)

A redundant horseshoe could also easily fit there.

I suppose one could make the argument for the Titans. I wish the sword didn’t widen towards the sleeve end. There’s many things wrong with the current set, but the striping isn’t one of the them.

spacer.png

The sword is the least of the issues with that set, though that doesn't mean it's good.  

They could salvage that set by traditionalizing the numbers, reducing the wordmark, and traditionalizing the pants (I could take or leave the navy helmet, but silver would be better - anything but white.)  Maybe do what you said and keep the sword, but convert it into a straight two-toned stripe (similar to their previous set, but light and dark silver.)

I get that they're trying to make their brand "cutting edge", but it doesn't work.  

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I suppose one could make the argument for the Titans. I wish the sword didn’t widen towards the sleeve end. There’s many things wrong with the current set, but the striping isn’t one of the them.

spacer.png

I just noticed that there's a navy side panel on that jersey. It's so unnecessary, please remove it.

On 10/14/2023 at 2:43 PM, BBTV said:

If 19 and 02 are in separate blocks, I think you could get away with nineteen two and it's just as valid as any other way of saying it.

There was a host on the classical music station here who would play old shellac 78s of opera music, and he pronounced 1901-1909 years that way. Either it was a way people used to say it, or it was an affectation favored by the sort of person who, well, collected opera shellac 78s.

More sportsily, there was that time Lou Lamoriello, another weird anal-retentive old guy, drafted Auston Matthews as the first pick in the "two-sixteen" draft.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...