Unpopular Opinions

On 11/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, DCarp1231 said:

That’s fair and I do agree.

It wasn’t to this extent, but the Colts new alt (just the jersey itself) did a fine job. It was a happy medium.

spacer.png

Unpopular: This should be the Colts primary home jersey. Of course, they'd have to wear it with their typical white helmets and pants and remove the fake captain patch. I don't mind the black outlines and accents but I wouldn't miss them either.

I get the historical aspect of the current uniforms but the cut of the sleeves has long ruined that. Like the previous Jets set, they just don't look like the same uniforms as they did 50 years ago. The relocation also does a sort of reset on the uniform in my eyes. Changing from something they've been wearing since 1987 doesn't seem as sacrilegious.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:16 AM, DCarp1231 said:

I suppose one could make the argument for the Titans. I wish the sword didn’t widen towards the sleeve end. There’s many things wrong with the current set, but the striping isn’t one of the them.

spacer.png

The current Titans set is the worst uniform set of all-time. The alarm clock Bucs are the only other ones in their class. Everything else is a mile behind those two. The number font is the surest way to ruin a uniform and both came up with absolute atrocities. They are not only terrible at conveying a brand, but just horrifying to look at in general.

I'll go a step further and say the Titans are the worst branded team in the NFL overall by far. They don't have a consistent color scheme that they stick to. They try to do the two-tone blue (which I already think is weak) but then also try and shoehorn in silver and red. On top of that, 90% of the time they wear hardly any columbia blue and just go all navy. Their logo doesn't really make sense and is overly cartoony. Both their logo and their wordmark rely heavily on bevels. And the team name itself was pretty much just picked to be alliterative with no other real connection as far as I know.

The Titans are considered to be one of the most forgettable teams in the league and I think the branding has a lot to do with it.

It goes without saying that their previous uniforms were miles ahead of what they currently wear and probably about the best they could do with the current brand. But the whole brand could honestly be thrown in the trash tomorrow and I don't think many would miss it.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

13 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

And the team name itself was pretty much just picked to be alliterative with no other real connection as far as I know.

It probably has something to do with Nashville's longstanding nickname of "Athens of the South"; Athens = Greece = Greek mythology = Titans.

Plus...well, it's a pretty powerful-sounding name for a team compared to something like "Tennessee Pioneers", which was the original name.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It probably has something to do with Nashville's longstanding nickname of "Athens of the South"; Athens = Greece = Greek mythology = Titans.

Plus...well, it's a pretty powerful-sounding name for a team compared to something like "Tennessee Pioneers".

Does anyone in Nashville actually say "Athens of the south" though? Isn't that whole nickname based on one building? I don't think the Greek connection is all that clear in the first place and then they totally half-ass it. At least if you're going to go with Titans, use Greek themes besides an ugly number font. They couldn't have worked that into the logo at all? They struck gold on the thumbtack on fire and couldn't spare it?

And yeah, Titans isn't jarring or awful like Kraken or Wild or Commanders. But it just feels so generic. The whole brand feels like Madden create-a-team.

7 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

And yeah, Titans isn't jarring or awful like Kraken or Wild or Commanders. But it just feels so generic. The whole brand feels like Madden create-a-team.

Ugh, I know it’s so generic. It’s a good thing we have such non-generic nicknames like

Bears

Cardinals

Falcons

Vikings

Lions

Patriots

Panthers

Chiefs

Bengals

Rams

Eagles

Cowboys

That definitely  don’t appear anywhere else. Truly one of a kind names for sports teams.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, LaGrandeOrange said:

I maybe said this already, but the pinwheel Expos (and Orioles, and others) caps are fun on the players but look stupid on regular people, so the Expos look of my childhood (this one) is my favourite:

9492.jpg

Love those Expos road jerseys.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Love those Expos road jerseys.

It was a great uniform.

I think if they were still around today (and didn't do a full overhaul), we'd see it lose the white outline on the script and shrink the sleeve trim, which would put it on par with any other classic uniform.  (probably would ditch the front number, or jut go solid blue.)

As great as that road uniform was, its home counterpart was awful.   If they had lasted longer, in addition to the tweaks to the road I just mentioned, I'd return the home to being either solid white with the logo on the chest,  numbers on left chest, and racing stripes replaced by sleeve trim, or pinstripes with the chest logo and no other trim or front numbers.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Titans seems generic because their branding and uniforms are directionless. The team has no real identity, so their nickname feels tacked on. Doesn't have anything to do with how many high schools use the moniker

How is their branding directionless?  It sucks, but it isn't directionless.

Sword in logo, sword on jersey.  Numbers with sharp edges to mimic the sword.  The flame is (allegedly) from greek mythology.

It has a direction.  It's just poorly executed (at least the uniforms.  I don't have much issue with the logo other than it doesn't scale well.)

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, BBTV said:

How is their branding directionless?  It sucks, but it isn't directionless.

Sword in logo, sword on jersey.  Numbers with sharp edges to mimic the sword.  The flame is (allegedly) from greek mythology.

It has a direction.  It's just poorly executed (at least the uniforms.  I don't have much issue with the logo other than it doesn't scale well.)

The problem is that they try to use the Greek theme but then do nothing with it. Swords have no more prevalence to ancient (or current) Greece than to any other ancient culture. Honestly, probably less. Cartoony blue and red flames have absolutely no connection to Greece either. So it all is just bad-looking elements for their own sake.

I honestly don't know where they go from here. Maybe the previous set was as good as it was gonna get. But I think every other team in the NFL is extremely well-branded (excluding uniforms). The Titans wouldn't stand out in a league like the NBA where half the teams have an absolute mess of a brand. But in the NFL they do stand out as being boring and incoherent.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:42 AM, throwuascenario said:

Does anyone in Nashville actually say "Athens of the south" though? Isn't that whole nickname based on one building?

The nickname came from the number of colleges/universities in Nashville. The Parthenon was built because of the city's nickname, not the other way around.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

It was a great uniform.

I think if they were still around today (and didn't do a full overhaul), we'd see it lose the white outline on the script and shrink the sleeve trim, which would put it on par with any other classic uniform.  (probably would ditch the front number, or jut go solid blue.)

As great as that road uniform was, its home counterpart was awful.   If they had lasted longer, in addition to the tweaks to the road I just mentioned, I'd return the home to being either solid white with the logo on the chest,  numbers on left chest, and racing stripes replaced by sleeve trim, or pinstripes with the chest logo and no other trim or front numbers.

I liked the homes too as they were, but those Roads were one of my favorite jerseys in the league. The fleur de lis as the accent mark is a great touch.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

I liked the homes too as they were, but those Roads were one of my favorite jerseys in the league. The fleur de lis as the accent mark is a great touch.

Words with Xs don’t lend themselves well to scripts IMO, and something about it just seemed clunky. May have looked better without the tail, but the logo would have been better. 

Also, 5 letters is a little too few to make for a good script without enlarging things like the Reds and Cuba Cubs do/did. 

Id like to see a mockup of the crest on a pinstriped top, I think it coulda worked well. 

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Words with Xs don’t lend themselves well to scripts IMO, and something about it just seemed clunky. May have looked better without the tail, but the logo would have been better.

I mean, I think the late 80's White Sox jersey pulled off a script X with a tail just fine, personally. Besides, it's not like the X and tail even connected on the Expos script, anyways, the tail's connected to the S.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Ark said:

I'm not sure where this falls on the unpopular opinion spectrum but after losing Ohtani to the Dodgers the Angels should drop the Los Angeles from their name. I really like California Angels if they don't want to represent Anaheim. 

Pretty sure they can't actually do that, though.

Not only does it make no sense (they're not the only team in California in either league), but it seems like a bit of an unwritten rule now that states with multiple teams can't have a team named for the state unless they've been grandfathered in beforehand like the Rangers, Mets and Yankees; which the Angels can't be, because they haven't been the California Angels since 1996.

• Huh? 1

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

it seems like a bit of an unwritten rule now that states with multiple teams can't have a team named for the state unless they've been grandfathered in beforehand; which the Angels can't be, because they haven't been the California Angels since 1996.

You should tell that to the Texas Rangers as well -- they named themselves after the state of Texas despite arriving there a decade after the Astros.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...