Unpopular Opinions

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Interviews from the 19 aughts? Do tell.

That's right, players from the aughts interviewed decades later. They'd say years in the form "nineteen two" or else in the form "nineteen hundred (and) two". But never "nineteen oh two"; that's strictly a latter-day construction.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's right, players from the aughts interviewed decades later. They'd say years in the form "nineteen two" or else in the form "nineteen hundred (and) two". But never "nineteen oh two"; that's strictly a latter-day construction.

So what has the 30-06 been called for its entire existence. 

23 hours ago, Ark said:

Unpopular or Popular opinion maybe: aughts is a horrible name for the 00s and should never be used

The radio station I listen to calls it "noughties", and I don't mind

As for the ongoing 0x discussion, their only natural usage is just being shorthand for years, which don't start with 0, hence they themselves are unnatural

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

Dickety >Aught

As in: 19 dickety 2.  2000 dickety 8.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/15/2023 at 7:30 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:
On 10/15/2023 at 12:18 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Interviews from the 19 aughts? Do tell.

Sorry for the double post, but I just found some of these interviews that I had recalled hearing before.

In the interview by Lawrence Ritter of "Wahoo" Sam Crawford (the holder of the all-time career record for triples) from the mid-1960s for the book Glory of Their Times, Crawford refers to the year 1907 as "nineteen seven".

In Ritter's interview with Smoky Joe Wood, Ritter himself (born in 1922) refers to the year 1908 as "ninteen eight".

In Ritter's interview with Hans Lobert, an infielder in the National League from 1903 to 1917, Ritter asks "What were the parks like in nineteen three, four, five?"

This practice was the norm for people born in the mid-19th century and the early 20th century.  The norm changed to "ninteen oh (whatever)" probably for people born in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

• Applause 3

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Sorry for the double post, but I just found some of these interviews that I had recalled hearing before.

In the interview by Lawrence Ritter of "Wahoo" Sam Crawford (the holder of the all-time career record for triples) from the mid-1960s for the book Glory of Their Times, Crawford refers to the year 1907 as "nineteen seven".

In Ritter's interview with Smoky Joe Wood, Ritter himself (born in 1922) refers to the year 1908 as "ninteen eight".

In Ritter's interview with Hans Lobert, an infielder in the National League from 1903 to 1917, Ritter asks "What were the parks like in nineteen three, four, five?"

This practice was the norm for people born in the mid-19th century and the early 20th century.  The norm changed to "ninteen oh (whatever)" probably for people born in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

These videos are great. Thanks for posting them

• Like 3

2000-2009: Two-thousand blank every time

2010-2019: Mixture of two-thousand blank and twenty blank, with it trending more towards twenty as the decade went on

2020-2099: Twenty blank every time

The middle category is the only one where neither sounds weird to me. Twenty-thirteen and two-thousand thirteen both sound fine. Neither Twenty oh three nor two-thousand twenty three sound right to me.

This is extremely interesting to me. I wonder what caused the change. That structure wouldn't have worked this century, as there would've been no way to delineate 2003 (twenty-three) from the shorthand of '23 for 2023.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to an all black Raiders alternate (as long as the helmet remains silver)

They definitely dont need it, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Once they went with the all white, the door was opened for black pants.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, Ark said:

This is easily the best Astros logo and they should still be using it

a480f69824d4c927f4794d3f7757636e.jpg

Maybe it's nostalgia, because my first memories as a kid were of this logo, but I always thought this was the perfect brand for the Astros. The dark navy (space, night sky) and metallic gold (stars) were perfect. The futuristic font and typeface was a bit "90's", but it worked for a team named the "Houston Astros". I understand the eventual switch back to orange and navy, but I always loved this logo package.

• Huh? 1

I actually think liking that blue/gold Astros look is popular. The color scheme obviously fits with the name and the streaking star was unique.

I feel like I have the unpopular opinion in that it was easilly my least favorite of their looks. I realize the earthy look didn't fit their name and was probably a mistake, but I thought it looked so good I didn't care. That all said, I think they look great now (minus the ginormous "Oxy" patch). I'm glad the Astros look like they originally did (post Colt .45s).

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/19/2023 at 12:27 PM, ManillaToad said:

These videos are great. Thanks for posting them

You're welcome!  I went looking for those interviews knowing that I had heard them before, but not remembering exactly what project they were part of.  I was very glad to have found them again.

The weird thing is that I happened upon another example yesterday while I was not looking for it.  I was just doing what I normally do, which is to listen to old-time radio. 

In the commercial for Jell-O that opens Jack Benny's radio show of October 24, 1937, the announcer Don Wilson (born 1900) mentions the creation of the product "back in the year 1904", a year which he says as "nineteen four".

I share this not to belabour the point, but merely to address the possible suspicion that that form of expression was limited to the sporting world, rather than being the general norm.

• Like 2