Unpopular Opinions

On 1/10/2024 at 8:44 PM, neo_prankster said:

I honestly wish Disney had based the Mighty Ducks in San Diego instead of Anaheim.

That way, the expansion fee would've been cheaper without having to compensate the Kings.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:09 PM, Ridleylash said:

Why would Disney have put the Ducks a whole 95 miles from their California park, especially considering they were literally branding the team after one of their movies in the first place? It makes more sense to put them close to Disneyland so that you can easily cross-promote the team and the park.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:38 PM, neo_prankster said:

1) The Ducks could've had San Diego all to themselves instead of sharing the greater LA market with the Kings.

2) If Disney chose San Diego instead of Anaheim, they wouldn't have had to give a penny to that con man Bruce McNall.

3) Here in San Diego, we could've had a newer arena to replace the old SD Sports Arena by '95 or so on the same parking lot. I mean, a new arena built by Disney...privately financed...that would've made us San Diegans happy.

4) I feel like San Diego, even back in the early 90's, would be a big enough city to support an NHL team. And given our history of supporting minor league teams at every opportunity, I really wished our elected officials at the time could've convinced Eisner to bring the Ducks here. Even if that meant playing temporarily at the old Sports Arena while the Pond was being built.

Jumping into this late, Disney had nothing to do with the arena construction. Ground broke on the now-Honda Center 25 months before Disney was even awarded the expansion franchise and the arena was already scheduled to be opened about six months after the expansion was announced.

Disney specifically picked Anaheim and approached the NHL about Anaheim. It was their first and, practically speaking, only choice and I don't know if Disney would have had any interest in a hockey team had there not already been an in-progress arena down the street from Disneyland. Norm Green had a backroom deal with the Anaheim Arena to move the North Stars there but the NHL blocked it (in exchange for essentially rubber stamping Green's second choice) because Disney approached the NHL about wanting Anaheim.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

On 2/27/2024 at 4:14 PM, ManillaToad said:

Best uniform the Pats ever wore

4c5e5ee78a07c6af90a8a2fd3035c154.jpg

I would give a shoutout to the preceding uniforms:
spacer.png
spacer.png

Are they simple? Yes. But sometimes simple is the best solution.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

On 2/29/2024 at 8:26 AM, GrayJ12 said:

I would give a shoutout to the preceding uniforms:
spacer.png
spacer.png

Are they simple? Yes. But sometimes simple is the best solution.

I prefer the Brady era uniforms to these.

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:57 AM, floydnimrod said:

I've never seen these before, but I wish someone would the use this font with these 1s

You mean like this?  Granted, neither uses the 93-94 Patriots font, but both use similar 1s

merlin_181772667_7a499345-3cc9-4b60-b1c2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I hate the use of the term "rebuild" in sports - especially for when a team has sucked forever.  You're not "rebuilding", you're just "building".  To "re" build, you have to have been built, and too often, the term is used for teams that were never good.

To me, it means that your team was great, but now has some aging superstars that you want to trade a year early rather than a year late (or just on time), knowing that you may take a step back.  A "rebuild" shouldn't be used for any team that's hit Rock Bottom (I expect a C&D from The Rock for that.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Can't stand white pants with white socks, even if the socks are striped.

Agreed, which is why the original Boston Patriots look is best.

aad7a27e16701bf1737871c855a922dd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Dislike 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 3/4/2024 at 8:23 AM, BBTV said:

I hate the use of the term "rebuild" in sports - especially for when a team has sucked forever.  You're not "rebuilding", you're just "building".  To "re" build, you have to have been built, and too often, the term is used for teams that were never good.

To me, it means that your team was great, but now has some aging superstars that you want to trade a year early rather than a year late (or just on time), knowing that you may take a step back.  A "rebuild" shouldn't be used for any team that's hit Rock Bottom (I expect a C&D from The Rock for that.)

Agreed- to me it tends to flatter teams. I'm a Habs fan, I'm content to call what we're doing a rebuild since even if the Cup run was fluky, it still comes after a (conscious) Cup run and a decade+ of the Price years when the team was often a fringe contender.

The Sabres (not picking on them, they're just in our division) have been "rebuilding" for over a decade, at this point we need a new word.

On 3/4/2024 at 5:12 PM, sky1324 said:

Agreed, which is why the original Boston Patriots look is best.

aad7a27e16701bf1737871c855a922dd.jpg

I don't know about this forum but for me, having the Patriots wear a red top has always been absurd, nauseating, & disgusting. Never liked the look. You're named the patriots! Red tops = British. Very un-American. Also, the patriots dynasty had the focus being blue and then navy blue. Like the Bucs creamsicle uniform, this look need to stay in the grave.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

There is nothing wrong with soccer players keeping their numbers in the teens and 20s instead of moving to 1-11

(66 still makes me wanna throw up tho)

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

On 3/7/2024 at 4:21 PM, FroBroStudio said:

I don't know about this forum but for me, having the Patriots wear a red top has always been absurd, nauseating, & disgusting. Never liked the look. You're named the patriots! Red tops = British. Very un-American. Also, the patriots dynasty had the focus being blue and then navy blue. Like the Bucs creamsicle uniform, this look need to stay in the grave.

Blue makes more sense now for the Pats. But I think the red shirts at the beginning were because the Bills, Titans (now Jets) and Oilers each wore blue in the old AFL East.