Unpopular Opinions

12 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Is going back to a rotted root really a good idea, though? Again, they've literally never won anything in the postseason as the Los Angeles Angels without "of Anaheim" stapled to the end, the name without that addendum has no historical significance for the franchise beyond losing years without a playoff berth.

Especially since they've spent the majority of their existence as the California Angels, and won a World Series under the Anaheim Angels name, which is infinitely more success than they've had as the LA Angels; so if anything, that's the name that should stick with them, not a name associated with failure.

Ok, I guess you are right. Anaheim. I just do not like Anaheim because I had a bad experience there when I was in my early 20's visiting. I witnessed something bad and I got threatened, so yeah.

Also to add on top on this,

AA1mUp70.img?w=1920&h=1080&q=60&m=2&f=jp

I like to see seal brown jerseys of this combo. It looks very nice. The all white is my favorite because they white uniforms have the orange shadow block similar to the 49ers 1955 uniforms. I like to see this version of the seal brown with white block numbers. If they did a false default, they could bring in brown pants with this combo with just the orange/white/orange stripe with the white helmet and BOOM, Cleveland would look great.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:56 PM, WestCoastBias said:

The Seattle Mariners don't new a brand refresh or new uniforms. The identity introduced in 1993 is a modern classic and, aside from maybe having too many outlines on their wordmarks, their uniforms are perfect as is. 

Not sure if this is unpopular but it needs to be said with the new City Connect recently being released. 

Would love to see the Mariners do special jerseys in the colors of the other teams in the city. Won't ever happen w current MLB uniform rules

On 1/12/2024 at 4:38 PM, neo_prankster said:

2) If Disney chose San Diego instead of Anaheim, they wouldn't have had to give a penny to that con man Bruce McNall.

They still would have had to pay the exact same expansion fee. Anaheim & Florida both paid $50M for their franchises. The only difference is that half of Anaheim's fee went directly to the Kings, instead of being evenly divided amongst the league's owners

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, neo_prankster said:

Yeah but if you're a Raven fan would you really want your team looking too closely like your AFC North rival over in Pennsylvania?

Ah yes, purple and gold. It’s what I think of when the Steelers cross my mind.

There's been some discussion with the ongoing "blandness" of Super Bowl fields in recent years, and even know it was around for two years, I think the "banner" version of the endzones from XL and XLI are underrated.
spacer.png

I think adding this back would add more flair to the end zone designs of Super Bowl fields and be a first step to bringing us closer to more visually appealing fields.

• Like 2

rAUPGPZ.png

51 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

There's been some discussion with the ongoing "blandness" of Super Bowl fields in recent years, and even know it was around for two years, I think the "banner" version of the endzones from XL and XLI are underrated.
spacer.png

I think adding this back would add more flair to the end zone designs of Super Bowl fields and be a first step to bringing us closer to more visually appealing fields.

I would be OK with this if they color coded the banner to each team. In that pic it looks good for Seattle because it's in their colors. Pittsburgh's sticks out like a sore thumb

• Like 6

I'm actually disappointed to see the Jets change to the Sack Exchange set. I think those are boring while the current uniforms are a really nice, modern set that they tanked by wearing bad combinations. Green/white/green and White/green/white looked great. The black accents were meh and the wordmark didn't need to be so big but I loved the stripes and the green helmet was fantastic. Easily the Jets' best look when worn correctly.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/12/2024 at 11:51 PM, Ridleylash said:

Is going back to a rotted root really a good idea, though? Again, they've literally never won anything in the postseason as the Los Angeles Angels without "of Anaheim" stapled to the end, the name without that addendum has no historical significance for the franchise beyond losing years without a playoff berth.

Especially since they've spent the majority of their existence as the California Angels, and won a World Series under the Anaheim Angels name, which is infinitely more success than they've had as the LA Angels; so if anything, that's the name that should stick with them, not a name associated with failure.

I know you posted this over a month ago...if you watch Hot Stove on MLB Network somewhat regularly, you'll notice Harold and Matt V never really use "Los Angeles Angels" when talking about the team casually or on a side-bar analysis.. Harold played for the Angels for a year and Vasgersian was hired for a season or two by Arte in the recent past. They always say "the Angels" or something like "he'd be a good fit in Anaheim". Anaheim is usually the locator. They rarely, if ever, use the term "LA" when talking about the Angels...and mainly because have been around the game forever and know that LA = Dodgers and "LA Angels" just doesn't fit. 

I'm not a full on Arte hater - he has his shortcomings but he's not as awful as many internet fans want him to be - but it's always bizarre that he really sticks with Angels Baseball/LA Angels instead of just using Anaheim. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:07 AM, WSU151 said:

They always say "the Angels" or something like "he'd be a good fit in Anaheim". Anaheim is usually the locator. They rarely, if ever, use the term "LA" when talking about the Angels...and mainly because have been around the game forever and know that LA = Dodgers and "LA Angels" just doesn't fit. 

I don't think there's that much conviction behind it. The Islanders are often "Long Island" instead of "New York" in similar situations. You hear it a little with the Texas Rangers and Arlington. I think it's useful to refer to them as Anaheim casually (I'm a firm believer that the park name should have reverted to "Anaheim Stadium") while still being the Los Angeles Angels. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫