Unpopular Opinions

On 8/31/2023 at 11:39 AM, DCarp1231 said:

I don’t mind shoulder wordmarks

spacer.png

(other images snipped)

I'm fine with it if it brings the front numbers back up a little bit.  Some of them have sunk too low, even before the template forced them down.  I prefer front numbers that are more on the chest and lest on the stomach.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The current Chargers uniforms are not the best they've ever looked, they're not the best in the league (my perhaps biased take is that that honor goes to the 49ers), and it's not particularly close. Putting the awful mono-blue color rush combinations aside,

- The number font is mediocre (not as bad as the last set's numbers but still inferior to regular block)

- They removed TV numbers in exchange for helmet numbers

- The gold pants combos should look good but are dragged down by the mismatch with the helmet

- The powder blue just looks off. I can't really explain this one that well, but it doesn't quite look like Chargers powder blue.

I think they should have kept the throwbacks that they wore in 2009 (my pick for best Chargers uniforms in history), adding a blue stripe around the lightning bolts on the pants would have made them perfect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Yawn 2
  • Dislike 5

11 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about the NBA to dispute it

It's definitely not, Shawn Bradley played for around a decade and was a starter on 3 different teams.

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

12 minutes ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

It's definitely not, Shawn Bradley played for around a decade and was a starter on 3 different teams.

I'll never forget the hype of that draft and the hope we had when he was picked (over Penny).  He was supposed to change the way the game is played, by basically being a taller and better Ralph Sampson who would be indefensible once he put on weight.  In hindsight, we just tricked ourselves into believing that a skinny dude who had only a mediocre college career and spent two years out of the game while preaching religion was prepared to live up to those unreasonable expectations.

It's absolutely tragic what ended up happening to him.  There's a story on it on SI that is impossible to make it through without tearing up, no matter what you think of the guy.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/12/2023 at 11:38 PM, Germanshepherd said:

It makes me sad that we never see basketball numbers above 50.

You have so much room to work with and you only choose a slim layer of it! I wanna see 73's 86's 59's 97's etc. all on the court. I think that'd look cool.

50-55 are still traditional basketball numbers. You don't see higher numbers more often because 6, 7, 8, and 9 weren't allowed on jerseys because referees only have 5 fingers to signal numbers with. So, 0-5, 10,15, 20-25, etc. were okay, but numbers like 26 or 37 were not. Once you got past 55 there were no more eligible numbers.

I don't necessarily dislike the higher numbers, because basketball players tend to be taller and slender, a number like 11 looks better on most of them than 88.

15 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Has anyone picked a number in the 90s range because of their birth year?

In hockey: Conner McDavid (97) - Edmonton Oilers, and Gabe Landeskog (92) and Mikko Rantanen  (96) - Colorado Avalanche all use their birth year (i'm guessing quite a few others, but those are the ones I know of).

Not sure about anyone in basketball.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

2 hours ago, logo-maker said:

In hockey: Conner McDavid (97) - Edmonton Oilers, and Gabe Landeskog (92) and Mikko Rantanen  (96) - Colorado Avalanche all use their birth year (i'm guessing quite a few others, but those are the ones I know of).

Not sure about anyone in basketball.

I know Kaprizov is 97 for the same reason, as well as Crosby. And any kid born in 99 has to use a different number for their birth year in the NHL (and just across hockey in general) 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 9/26/2023 at 2:30 PM, chcarlson23 said:

I know Kaprizov is 97 for the same reason, as well as Crosby. And any kid born in 99 has to use a different number for their birth year in the NHL (and just across hockey in general) 

I know those higher-range numbers are becoming more common in motorsports, especially in those series where drivers choose their numbers. Seeing drivers have numbers like 63 and 81 are pretty wonky at first glance, but it's interesting because some drivers choose those numbers because it was their first karting number.

rAUPGPZ.png

12 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

I know those higher-range numbers are becoming more common in motorsports, especially in those series where drivers choose their numbers. Seeing drivers have numbers like 63 and 81 are pretty wonky at first glance, but it's interesting because some drivers choose those numbers because it was their first karting number.

In the case of 81, Joe Gibbs Racing used it as their part-time car's number in the past because it is the same as their flagship number 18, but flipped

I feel like small number flips is one big source of big numbers' presence in any league (except the NFL because they have special number rules)

Just to get back on topic, I actually like single digit numbers being opened up for WRs/RBs/CBs (basically "fast" players)

Don't like it for say LBs, who are more of a strength build

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

5 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

In the case of 81, Joe Gibbs Racing used it as their part-time car's number in the past because it is the same as their flagship number 18, but flipped

I feel like small number flips is one big source of big numbers' presence in any league (except the NFL because they have special number rules)

Just to get back on topic, I actually like single digit numbers being opened up for WRs/RBs/CBs (basically "fast" players)

Don't like it for say LBs, who are more of a strength build

I like the way 23XI Racing incorporated their part time car number into the lineup.

23-45-67

Also, I’m fairly certain at one point JGR fielded the 02 car. Much like 18-81 it’s the inverse of their 20.

EDIT: Yep, and they even took it a step further as being the complete inverse of Tony Stewart’s Home Depot 20

spacer.png

This car is what eventually became the 19. Would be funny if they ended up fielding a 91 car completing the 20-02-19-91 faux cycle

On 9/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

Has anyone picked a number in the 90s range because of their birth year?

Not his birth year, but DeAndre' Bembry wears 95 for his younger brother (born in 1995) who died 2 weeks before DeAndre was drafted. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

As far as the new NFL number rules go, I don't mind the further use of single digits outside of QBs, Kickers, and Punters, but single digits still don't look quite right to me on defensive players. All that said, I love the use of the number 0 and can't wait for a quarterback to use it.

This might not be the thread for it, but the number 02 car with reminded me: I can see the day in team sports where numbers with leading zeros (01-09) are allowed in addition to 00 before triple-digit numbers are allowed (provided that there's not a enough unretiring of numbers). I often treat 00 as a two-digit shorthand of 100 on a team where both 0 and 00 are worn, so it wouldn't be that big a stretch that 01-09 could be treated as two-digit shorthand 101-109. That could also be a way to distinguish offensive players from defensive players in football (single-digit numbers for offensive players, kickers, and punters, 01-09 for defensive players).

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:39 AM, DCarp1231 said:

I don’t mind shoulder wordmarks

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with them per se, but because we've all gotten so used to wordmarks being centered underneath the front collar, it just ends up looking like a production error to have them on the shoulder instead. The Seahawks are an exception because there's at least some actual design there and it's not just tacked on like the other two examples.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 10/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, Lights Out said:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with them per se, but because we've all gotten so used to wordmarks being centered underneath the front collar, it just ends up looking like a production error to have them on the shoulder instead. The Seahawks are an exception because there's at least some actual design there and it's not just tacked on like the other two examples.

I think the only team that has pulled it off are the Seahawks because it incorporates so well into the design.

It's the same thing for the random team logo patches on the shoulders - it makes no sense, and I think the only team that pulls it off are the Steelers.

rAUPGPZ.png

On 9/29/2023 at 6:46 AM, DCarp1231 said:

I like the way 23XI Racing incorporated their part time car number into the lineup.

23-45-67

Also, I’m fairly certain at one point JGR fielded the 02 car. Much like 18-81 it’s the inverse of their 20.

EDIT: Yep, and they even took it a step further as being the complete inverse of Tony Stewart’s Home Depot 20

spacer.png

This car is what eventually became the 19. Would be funny if they ended up fielding a 91 car completing the 20-02-19-91 faux cycle

Not happening with trackhouse owning the number for project 91