Unpopular Opinions

On 6/23/2023 at 6:38 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

The Spirits of St. Louis were named after a thing though, much like the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I'm not sure it really works outside of that.

I mean "The Spirit of St. Louis" was a thing, so that naming convention made sense. The Mighty Ducks was a movie, but there was no reason they couldn't just have been the Anaheim Mighty Ducks other than Disney wanting their brand to come first. Going back to the previous 3 letter abbreviation conversation, I remember sometimes seeing MDA used for Anaheim. The funny thing is that in the movies the team only gets referred to as "The Mighty Ducks" a couple of times.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:51 PM, Morgan33 said:

This is best looking jersey the Blue Jackets have had in their 23 year history.  I absolutely love it, especially the minor inclusion of  neon-green on the right shoulder patch.  Normally, things like having a base colour found nowhere else on the uniform, having red exclusively on the logos & number or using both black & navy would bother me...  But against all odds, this uniform comes together and just looks fantastic.  It should be their full-time home with a matching white.

rA5hYhr.jpg

I'm not a fan of the black for Columbus, but they definitely need to use this template for their home & away jerseys. The thicker piping along the sleeves, 3 stars instead of 1, and the hem stripe would make a big difference.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Bring back the Webfoots

spacer.png

Fun fact: one of the names Oregon considered in the 1920s when they decided on the Webfoots (which was originally from a group of fishers in American Revoultion-era Massachusetts) included the Yellow Jackets.

Yes. The Oregon Yellow Jackets.

rAUPGPZ.png

I am a Vikings fan and I do not like the throwbacks. The boards seem pretty split on whether they should be primaries or are merely a serviceable alternate, but I would actually rather they don't wear them at all.

I think they look like some strange unlicensed jersey. Their current uniforms have character while these look like any other team from the 60s.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, 5ss22 said:

I am a Vikings fan and I do not like the throwbacks. The boards seem pretty split on whether they should be primaries or are merely a serviceable alternate, but I would actually rather they don't wear them at all.

I think they look like some strange unlicensed jersey. Their current uniforms have character while these look like any other team from the 60s.

I think the throwbacks are great for what they are, throwbacks, but that's all they should be.  The current Vikings look is isn't perfect, but I think its still good, and the best they've ever looked.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, 5ss22 said:

Their current uniforms have character while these look like any other team from the 60s.

for the record I love the new Vikings throwbacks, but I find it funny that this board (and I get that I am making a widely generalizing statement) is against manufacturers templating uniform design, whereas most of uniforms in the past that this board pines for are all templated designs themselves. For example, Washington, the Packers, the Saints, the Browns, and the Dolphins all had the very same striping pattern at one point. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, ssj_homeslice said:

for the record I love the new Vikings throwbacks, but I find it funny that this board (and I get that I am making a widely generalizing statement) is against manufacturers templating uniform design, whereas most of uniforms in the past that this board pines for are all templated designs themselves. For example, Washington, the Packers, the Saints, the Browns, and the Dolphins all had the very same striping pattern at one point. 

I think it’s hilarious how Vince Lombardi said “screw your uniform” and just turned Washington into Green Bay Jr as his gift to the world before he died.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 7:28 AM, spartacat_12 said:

I'm not a fan of the black for Columbus, but they definitely need to use this template for their home & away jerseys. The thicker piping along the sleeves, 3 stars instead of 1, and the hem stripe would make a big difference.

I would make two tweaks...  First I would change all instances of Navy, on the primary logo, to the lighter blue.  Then I would change the Black base to Navy.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:28 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Going back to the previous 3 letter abbreviation conversation, I remember sometimes seeing MDA used for Anaheim.

There were also a couple applications where they were ANH, namely the NHL video games of the 90s, which was a choice made no sense to me.

IbjBaeE.png

18 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

There were also a couple applications where they were ANH, namely the NHL video games of the 90s, which was a choice made no sense to me.

Ottawa sometimes had OTW in those same applications, which makes me think maybe either EA was just kinda weird or the league hadn't standardized abbreviations yet since so many graphics packages were still using full geographic names and the scorebug as we know it hadn't taken off in hockey quite yet;

spacer.png

Not sure if this is unpopular or even well-known because I just learned about it from this site:

The Citronaut was the first mascot of Florida Technological University (former name of UCF). The mascot appeared on the first student handbook in 1968-1969. After one year, students petitioned the university`s student government to establish a new mascot for the university. In 1970, students approved Knights of the Pegasus as the second official university mascot, which remains to this day (albeit after being simplified to Knights).

citro.png?w=211&h=326

What a mistake. The Citronauts would be such a great identity today, and the football program is now making its way into the national spotlight. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A MiLB team should definitely use that.  I'd buy a cap!

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."