Unpopular Opinions

10 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

In MLS Columbus uses CLB. 

Along similar lines, WSH looks better as an abbreviation than WAS.

Yuck, CLB isn't much better. I'm too high on my own dumb idea now; CBS to me just looks like it fits way better next to PIT, DET, etc. Paging @Sport for official feedback since it's his team.

I have no real preference on Washington (WAS is more convenient to type though) or Montreal. I've never seen WIN for Winnipeg although I kinda like it. I'll offer up another one though - I like PHX a lot more than PHO. It does a better job of leading me to the full word.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, who do you think said:

Yuck, CLB isn't much better. I'm too high on my own dumb idea now; CBS to me just looks like it fits way better next to PIT, DET, etc. Paging @Sport for official feedback since it's his team.

I have no real preference on Washington (WAS is more convenient to type though) or Montreal. I've never seen WIN for Winnipeg although I kinda like it. I'll offer up another one though - I like PHX a lot more than PHO. It does a better job of leading me to the full word.

I know you're not Elliotte Friedman because he insists on using CLB on twitter because of some personal style guide preference he created and then when he found out that Blue Jackets fans hate it he started going out of his way to do it more. 

I prefer CBJ because it's just their first initials. It's tidy and COL was already taken. NYR and NYI have been in use for forever, right? If we must use a city only 3 letter abbreviation then CBS would be the best way to go.  

Las Vegas being shortened to VGK kills me though. I read it as Vaj-K every time. Still hate that they insisted on being called Vegas rather than the full city name. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 5/2/2023 at 1:04 AM, who do you think said:

This has surely already been posted but damned if I'm going through 500 pages. It's also really petty:

Team abbreviations (BOS, CLE, PHI, etc) should be based on the team's official location only, with the only exception being when more than one team claims that city/location and more distinction is definitely needed. So NYY/NYM, LAL/LAC, CHC/CHW and so on are fine. LAK and NYK are not fine, because the competing teams in their market don't claim Los Angeles or New York as their geographic identifier. The Kings and Knicks should just be LA and NY respectively.

one example that bugs me in particular is how the Charleston RiverDogs, to this day, use "CSC" as their abbreviation instead of "CHS." there used to be a valid reason for this, considering they and the Charleston (WV) Alley Cats used to both be in the South Atlantic League, but the Alley Cats have been gone for almost two decades.  knock it off.

53Ocz8U.png

Forcing three-letter abbreviations is one of my biggest pet peeves. The NHL is awful about it. A team's abbreviation should be entirely based on the geographic name unless two teams share the same geographic name.

TBL -> TB

VGK -> VGS

LAK -> LA

CBJ -> CBS

NJD -> NJ

This isn't related to any particular league but the abbreviations on the pro sport reference websites absolutely kill me. NWE? KAN? GNB? TAM? CHO? It drives me nuts.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

I always thought it was strange that the Hornets went from CHH to CHA when they came back, at least on basketball ref. I definitely prefer CHA, but CHH is probably a bit better then NOH lol.

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

6 hours ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

I always thought it was strange that the Hornets went from CHH to CHA when they came back, at least on basketball ref. I definitely prefer CHA, but CHH is probably a bit better then NOH lol.

The NBA team never changed their abbreviation. When they were the original Hornets they used CHA, when they were the Bobcats they used CHA, and now as the modern Hornets they use CHA. I've had the debate over whether or not this should be the abbreviation they use but it's not like the team ever changed it. It's just that, for whatever reason, BB Ref gives each different version of the team its own abbreviation.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, CDCLT said:

Forcing three-letter abbreviations is one of my biggest pet peeves. The NHL is awful about it. A team's abbreviation should be entirely based on the geographic name unless two teams share the same geographic name.

TBL -> TB

VGK -> VGS

LAK -> LA

CBJ -> CBS

NJD -> NJ

This isn't related to any particular league but the abbreviations on the pro sport reference websites absolutely kill me. NWE? KAN? GNB? TAM? CHO? It drives me nuts.

Are the Knights not allowed to use LV because their technically the Vegas Golden Knights? I never liked that decision by them. 

3 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Are the Knights not allowed to use LV because their technically the Vegas Golden Knights? I never liked that decision by them. 

I would assume so. It's the NHL's default for three-word teams to just use their initials so Vegas got VGK. If they had been the Las Vegas Golden Knights it might've LVK? I'm not sure. In an ideal world it would be LV no matter what.

• Like 2

Lots of sports-related data systems (digital scorebooks, scoreboards, stats tracking, etc ) are programmed to have three letter inputs for each team.  The thinking being that two letters is often not enough to identify most teams within a data system, and most programming requires the same amount of characters for each team entry, necessitating abbreviations like "VGK" instead of just "LV."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I am among the minority that greatly prefers the ornithological bird to the cartoon.

Though I think this one is better

Baltimore Orioles Logo Alternate Logo (1999-2008) - Black and orange oriole facing the left SportsLogos.Net

Was bummed when they switched to this bird. Couldn't wait for the O's to go to the cartoon bird when this version came out.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png