Unpopular Opinions

My thoughts on the white vs coloured at home thing was that coloured made sense because if you were at home, in your building, you should be wearing your colours. The coloured uniforms seem like the "main" identity for lack of a better term, and the whites are more of an alternative version of it for logistical reasons (I know there are exceptions to this, but generally speaking a team's white uniform is just their coloured uniform with the bulk of the colour removed so it doesn't clash).

There was an argument for white at home when the tv had 3 channels and was in black and white and the only way to see a team's uniform was to go to the game. Now that everybody has a high definition coloured screen to watch on, I don't see the point.

• Like 4

I'm so not a fan of head-to-toe mono hockey uniforms.  I'm struggling to think of any that look better than the version with white.  Red Wings and Leafs are probably the two examples that come to mind first.  The pre and early-Edge Flyers were also on that list.  All things being equal (which they obviously aren't), I'd like to see a team look its best at home.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/18/2023 at 1:22 AM, Chromatic said:

My thoughts on the white vs coloured at home thing was that coloured made sense because if you were at home, in your building, you should be wearing your colours.

The reason I think there's no easy solution here is because I think there are a few exceptions to this. 

The Maple Leafs' "main" sweater historically was the white sweater through their most successful periods, and their first ever sweater as the Maple Leafs was white. You could argue that the Leafs' main "look" is the white sweater look. Winnipeg also has a great claim on the white at home look, along with Arizona if they wanted to reference their Jets history. The Red Wings too. Their white sweater gives the team "red wings" which ties nicely in with their name. 

So it's not so clear cut. 

The simplest solution to this debate is to simply imitate the AHL. Wear white at home for the first half of the season, color at home for the second half and playoffs

There, everybody's happy, even the equipment managers. Win/win/win/more win situation

It would also encourage teams to bring back white alternates. We haven't seen too many of those in recent years. My Habs could finally wear the 1945 jerseys again (reverse version of home jerseys with the chest stripe)

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:58 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

The simplest solution to this debate is to simply imitate the AHL. Wear white at home for the first half of the season, color at home for the second half and playoffs

There, everybody's happy, even the equipment managers. Win/win/win/more win situation

It would also encourage teams to bring back white alternates. We haven't seen too many of those in recent years. My Habs could finally wear the 1945 jerseys again (reverse version of home jerseys with the chest stripe)

You have to rotate so they wear white jerseys in the playoffs every other season.

Have a team designate a primary jersey and the clash.

HOWEVER

Make it like rugby. If there is an issue, the home team needs to change. Yes, you are giving up the home team as a primary choice(as i do admit, should be in most cases) for the tradeoff of easy logistics

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Disliking your favorite team’s rival’s uniform simply because they’re rivals is such a dumb argumentative point.

I’m a Commanders fan, but have always held the Cowboys navy uniform as being one of the best in the league.

Surely there’s some Ohio State fans out there who appreciate Michigan’s uniforms and vise versa.

The “well you’re just not a true fan!” high horse crowd can gtfo, too. I’ll show love to whatever uniform I see fit.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Disliking your favorite team’s rival’s uniform simply because they’re rivals is such a dumb argumentative point.

I’m a Commanders fan, but have always held the Cowboys navy uniform as being one of the best in the league.

Surely there’s some Ohio State fans out there who appreciate Michigan’s uniforms and vise versa.

The “well you’re just not a true fan!” high horse crowd can gtfo, too. I’ll show love to whatever uniform I see fit.

I fully agree.

That being said, as a Red Sox fan, the Yankees' logos uniforms are bad, tradition be damned. Each uniform is fine but boring. What bothers me is the complete lack of cohesion between any two sets. Be consistent, at the very least. No need for 3 different variations of the logo or pinstripes on one set but not another. Makes no sense to me. (Though admittedly, I'm not super knowledgeable about baseball aesthetics.)

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

15 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I understand when people playfully hate everything about a rival down to their uniforms. There are far more toxic ways this :censored: can manifest (death threats, etc.) On this forum I try to separate the design from my biases because how you feel about a team really doesn't have a bearing on the aesthetics. 

I'm an alum of The Ohio State (😁) and think Michigan has one of the greatest looks in football. I also have strong opinions about what they're doing wrong (lose the stickers, ditch the blue pants, wear maize on the road more often).  I want The Game to be gorgeous every year and it annoys me when they wear their classic set while we don an alternate.

14 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I fully agree.

That being said, as a Red Sox fan, the Yankees' logos uniforms are bad, tradition be damned. Each uniform is fine but boring. What bothers me is the complete lack of cohesion between any two sets. Be consistent, at the very least. No need for 3 different variations of the logo or pinstripes on one set but not another. Makes no sense to me. (Though admittedly, I'm not super knowledgeable about baseball aesthetics.)

I find pinstripes ugly in general and their primary logo is nothing special, but I wouldn't change the Yankees obviously. I also think their road set is great, boring works for them. The quirks between the different versions of the logo don't bother me either. 

16 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I don't hate ASU's uniforms purely because they're a rival. I hate them because maroon and gold just doesn't look good.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

19 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I'm very capable of liking the uniforms from a team I don't like.  And I do agree "I don't like the Cardinals uniforms because I'm a Cubs fan" is a poor rationale. That said, an element of why we "like" something is our personal experience. That can contribute subconsciously, kinda like how some people dislike a song they liked before it became overplayed.

For me, I generally like the Packers uniforms (especially the yellow shell with the traditional green/white/green stripes). But I really don't like the logo. And I think a part of it is how often I saw it when I was in college in Madison. When I first arrived, the team was coming off of a pretty rough couple of decades. By the time I graduated, they'd won the Super Bowl. And during that time, the prevalence of that logo on jackets, hats and shirts skyrocketed (Yes; even fanbases with good reputations can have local bandwagons.) I got sick of the team and I think the logo started to bug me. Add that that the prevalence here in the Twin Cities (I don't think most Packer fans ever leave the house without some gear) and the light bulb this board put over my head about how using a "G" is like the Yankees/Giants using an "N," and a logo that I might think of as middle-road is near the bottom.  It wasn't a conscious decision, but much of my distaste for it is from personal connotations (along with the "Greenbay" thing). 

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This one will get me run out of town... BFBS is not a crime against humanity. The instant mass retching around here that's induced by a team adding black to its uniforms, regardless of how it actually affects the look, is a phenomenon I like to call, "B*****ng about Black for Black's Sake for B*****ng's Sake". Or, simply, BABFBSFBS. You want a real crime? The Blues and Pirates adding red around that same time period. RFRS, if you will.

EDIT: RE: Wearing white at home. The only arguments I ever see in favor of this are, "that's how it used to be!" and, "how else do the home fans see the road team's colors?" We don't still live in the days where home games were blacked out on TV causing you to only see opposing teams' white jerseys, unless you went to games. Which leads me to my main point - why, even today, would you want to see a white jersey every single time you turn on a road game on TV, making every arena look the same, save for the logo at center ice? Even as a neutral fan, color at home makes for more interesting TV and, IMO, strengthens the connection between the home team and its fans. Every team has a white jersey. Not every team has one like your team's dark one.

If it wasn't for the logistical issue of having to carry all that equipment around, I'd say hockey and football go to a basketball/soccer-like "wear whatever you want as long as it clashes enough" system, because what we really need are more color-on-color matchups.

• Like 7

oBIgzrL.png

On 3/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, Krudler said:

Not sure if this opinion is unpopular. But I wish the NHL would let teams designate a home and road set between their two primaries. To me, there are some teams where the white set is superior (Rangers, Sabres) and then there is a team like Winnipeg with the white out tradition, where white is the sweater I want to wear in front of my home fans. I know the league would probably never go this model. Just something I think would be cool to see.

I've always been an advocate of teams doing this for the playoffs. Knowing what a team will be wearing ahead of a series avoids the logistical issues around travelling with multiple sets of gear, and you'd avoid the awkwardness of fans in Winnipeg & Arizona dressed in the visiting team's colour.

6 hours ago, maz said:

This one will get me run out of town... BFBS is not a crime against humanity. The instant mass retching around here that's induced by a team adding black to its uniforms, regardless of how it actually affects the look, is a phenomenon I like to call, "B*****ng about Black for Black's Sake for B*****ng's Sake". Or, simply, BABFBSFBS. You want a real crime? The Blues and Pirates adding red around that same time period. RFRS, if you will.

Well the phenomenon of BFBS specifically refers to adding black in a way that is detrimental to the uniforms for the sake of having black because its trendy. Not to teams integrating black into their colour scheme because it makes for a more cohesive look. Is it overblown and are people inconsistent about it? Sure. Is BFBS a thing though? Yes.

As for RFRS, that is a phenomenon that is complained about here plenty as well, and is even called "red for red sake". You don't see it as much because it was much more of a trendy phenomenon than BFBS. I don't see how its particularly worse than BFBS though. 

• Like 3