Unpopular Opinions

On 3/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Chromatic said:

Well the phenomenon of BFBS specifically refers to adding black in a way that is detrimental to the uniforms for the sake of having black because its trendy. Not to teams integrating black into their colour scheme because it makes for a more cohesive look. Is it overblown and are people inconsistent about it? Sure. Is BFBS a thing though? Yes.

As for RFRS, that is a phenomenon that is complained about here plenty as well, and is even called "red for red sake". You don't see it as much because it was much more of a trendy phenomenon than BFBS. I don't see how its particularly worse than BFBS though. 

Which is sort of what I mean. I always thought BFBS was referring to the specific 90's trend, but I feel like a lot of people lump everything into that category and arbitrarily hate it. I actually think, if it was done right, the Reds having black accents would look just fine. The Flames looked fine with black accents. I was in a debate in another thread about the North Stars benefitting from adding black.

I suppose you're right that RFRS is just as much of a case-by-case thing. My thing is, unlike black, it is not a neutral color. So, it seems harder to justify doing it, and harder yet to do it well. Especially when it's bright red. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the mid-90's slanted Blues jerseys. But, at the same time, I wonder like everyone else, "why?"

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

I assume this is unpopular: I like the bottom photo better. I know the top one makes a ton more sense for a team called the "Astros" but the dark blue and gold is just soulless.  The really love the earthy color scheme and I wish the D-backs would have come up with it first and kept it forever. 

• Like 4

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/29/2023 at 7:21 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

If I were in charge of the Red Wings, they'd switch to the top logo. The inverted version looks so much better imo.

Or at the very least I'd find a way to use both

spacer.png

In the bottom logo, the wing is actually red

• Like 3

Excellent!

On 3/31/2023 at 12:27 AM, Cujo said:

The Astros' best-ever look:

Houston Astros home unis, 1994-1999 : r/baseball

The Astros' second-best look:

Astros History: Loving And Hating Geoff Blum - The Crawfish Boxes

I agree with the top photo...criminally underrated; Randy Johnson in that uniform in 98 looked good. But I'm split between Tequila Sunrise and the current unis for the second-best sets...

rAUPGPZ.png

On 4/7/2023 at 8:44 PM, DTConcepts said:

I'm not a fan of these jerseys by any means, but I am a fan of the placement of the anniversary patch and red buckets.

Canes-vs-Predators.jpg?w=1280

Also, the modern trend of all-white goalie pads sucks. Bring back bright colors and fun designs!

I agree, and would think the red bucket, and breezers would look good paired with the black primary.

23 hours ago, Cujo said:

I fail to see what's so amazing/mind-blowing about these uniforms. 

They're nice. Average. But nothing more.

MLB Pitcher's "Heard" About New Astros Cheating Allegations - The Spun:  What's Trending In The Sports World Today

These would be so much better if they used the vintage “Astros” word mark with a star instead of numbers on the front.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, WSU151 said:

Unpopular opinion maybe - Brewers should be wearing royal blue instead of navy. The BiG logo just looks way better on a royal hat. 

I think that's actually a rather popular opinion around here. Like I said before in this thread, royal blue is an overrated color choice. The Brewers have one of the best uniform sets in baseball right now, just as they are. Only gripe I have about their set is the cap with the yellow panel on the front. Otherwise, don't change a thing. The dark blue is part of what I consider an overall well-done modernization of their classic uniforms.

Hell, if I could change Pitt's colors to what the Brewers currently wear, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

---

I've gathered I have probably the most unpopular opinion RE: the Astros around here.

Today's Astros > 70's Astros > 90's Astros > 00's Astros

To sum up how I feel in as few words as I can: The Astros certainly could look better, but they also haven't looked better.

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

3 hours ago, maz said:

Today's Astros > 70's Astros > 90's Astros > 00's Astros

To sum up how I feel in as few words as I can: The Astros certainly could look better, but they also haven't looked better.

I think we can define the eras as such:

Shooting Star (late '60s, early '70s) (color change in early '70s)

Sunrise (late '70s, early '80s) (several variations)

Rainbow sleeves ('late '80s, early '90s)

Navy/Gold (late '90s)

Western set ('00s)

Current set.

For my money, it's

Shooting Star > Current > Navy/Gold > Rainbow Sleeves > Sunrise > Western

516e72bfbd37844a886b70be2db204a6.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The train conductor look Astros of the early 2000's was a good look, but wrong for the Astros. Plus it took the shooting star and made it static and slow. 

Give me the 90's look every time. 

1204042480.jpeg

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did a quick search and didn't see any results, but whats the general consensus on teams keeping names as they move cities? I feel this fits as an Unpopular Opinion but I am 100% for it. 

Give me the Colorado Nordiques, the Minnesota Senators and the Oklahoma City SuperSonics. 

And I realize its gets muddled with some instances, or how far to go back (do you want the New Jersey Rockies or the New Jersey Scouts in the NHL?), but I do like the premise. 

(if this is the wrong section for this, please let me know). 

Edited by TrevorBotting
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Try your hand at matching your design skills while rebranding a sports logo at superdesignbowl.com