Unpopular Opinions

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The team can keep the name, but change the branding to feel more “Vegas-y”.

I feel like they can keep the green around as "legacy" branding per-se, but I don't know how they can change the branding that doesn't make it look like cliché of Vegas design tropes.

rAUPGPZ.png

10 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The team can keep the name, but change the branding to feel more “Vegas-y”.

Golden Knights have gold. 

Raiders have silver. 

Change the athletic gold to more of a bronze? 

It's an idea, not sure how well it would be received. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Golden Knights have gold. 

Raiders have silver. 

Change the athletic gold to more of a bronze? 

It's an idea, not sure how well it would be received. 

“Introducing the third  best sports team in town…. Youuurrrrr LAS VEGAS AAAAATHLETICSSSSS!!!”

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

On 4/22/2023 at 9:56 AM, maz said:

The whole changing-names-when-relocating thing just got more interesting considering we are going to have a "Las Vegas Athletics" eventually. That's gonna sound really weird, but the Athletics have been around for over 120 years, wearing that name in three different cities. Do we keep that 120 years of history alive into city number four, or find a name to fit Vegas better? (I think "Athletics" is generic enough you can put that anywhere, personally)

While I find the entire system of rich narcsisists moving teams to new cities on a whim disgusting, the Athletics are an odd case. Because they're such an old franchise and have spent decades in multiple cities, it's hard to say that Oakland owns the identity in the same way Seattle owns the Supersonics (to use another green and gold example). 

On the other hand, Oakland does have claim to possibly my favorite look in the whole league, with that perfect home cap and gorgeous colors (I prefer the forest but the kelly throwback is great in its own right). I'd be sadder to see the MLB lose that than the name Athletics, but there is something wrong about it in Las Vegas regardless.

Doubt Oakland will get another team any time soon so I imagine they'll keep the name and colors. 

I'll also say that pre-Guardians, despite this being a complete non-possibility, I hoped that Cleveland could somehow transplant the Athletics branding because I love it and it's generic enough to go anywhere.

• Like 1

This is more of a broad, conceptual thing, but I hate when logos that depict the nickname of a team have a subliminal reference to the nickname again. If you’re going to do that, do it with the city name, or a geographic identifier, or some totem of the team’s past or something other than the thing you’re already depicting. I find that incredibly redundant and stupid. 

For an example of what I mean, look at the Atlanta Falcons logo. I don’t mean to pick on the Falcons because I think their logo is fine, but it’s the first example that popped into my mind for what I’m referring to. I understand it’s a classic logo at this point and yadda yadda but from a strictly conceptual standpoint I think the “hidden” F shape the falcon takes is dumb. 

“We’re the falcons, so our logo is a falcon”.  

Okay great. 

“But wait, if you look closely you’ll see the falcon is in the shape of an ‘F’. For ‘Falcons’. In case you forgot we’re the Falcons.” 

Why?

An example of the inverse of this which I have no problem with is the Vegas Golden Knights, where the negative space in the helmet forms a ‘V’, or the Wizards who have the Washington Monument inside the basketball of their logo.

If you’re going to make a subtle reference to something in your logo, it makes no sense to me to also reference the thing you’re explicitly depicting.

• Like 7

It's always bothered me when people refer to "Stanley Cups" as a multiple thing.  Like, "Wayne Gretzky won four Stanley Cups in his career".  No, he didn't.  He won The Stanley Cup four times.  Wayne Gretzky won four championships, but he only won one Cup.  The Cup isn't like the Lombardi Trophy where they crap out a new one every year for every team that wins the Super Bowl.  There's only one Stanley Cup, and each time Wayne won it he one the same one he'd won the time before.  The same one that Mario Lemieux, and Bobby Orr, and Jean Béliveau won each time they won The Cup.  The same one that whoever wins it this year will win.  That legacy makes The Stanley Cup special in a way that the other championship trophies in the other big North American leagues will never be.

(And I get that there have been a couple different versions of The Cup.  I know the one in use now isn't the same one that's in the Vault at the Hockey Hall of Fame, but they all still represent the same legacy going back to the pre-NHL Challenge Cup days. )

• Like 5

On 4/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, Echo said:

It's always bothered me when people refer to "Stanley Cups" as a multiple thing.  Like, "Wayne Gretzky won four Stanley Cups in his career".  No, he didn't.  He won The Stanley Cup four times.  Wayne Gretzky won four championships, but he only won one Cup.

I get where you're coming from, but "four Stanley Cups" is three words. "The Stanley Cup four times" is five words. that's probably why.

53Ocz8U.png

On 4/29/2023 at 2:48 AM, Chromatic said:

This is more of a broad, conceptual thing, but I hate when logos that depict the nickname of a team have a subliminal reference to the nickname again. If you’re going to do that, do it with the city name, or a geographic identifier, or some totem of the team’s past or something other than the thing you’re already depicting. I find that incredibly redundant and stupid. 

For an example of what I mean, look at the Atlanta Falcons logo. I don’t mean to pick on the Falcons because I think their logo is fine, but it’s the first example that popped into my mind for what I’m referring to. I understand it’s a classic logo at this point and yadda yadda but from a strictly conceptual standpoint I think the “hidden” F shape the falcon takes is dumb. 

“We’re the falcons, so our logo is a falcon”.  

Okay great. 

“But wait, if you look closely you’ll see the falcon is in the shape of an ‘F’. For ‘Falcons’. In case you forgot we’re the Falcons.” 

Why?

An example of the inverse of this which I have no problem with is the Vegas Golden Knights, where the negative space in the helmet forms a ‘V’, or the Wizards who have the Washington Monument inside the basketball of their logo.

If you’re going to make a subtle reference to something in your logo, it makes no sense to me to also reference the thing you’re explicitly depicting.

I totally agree. If the Falcons could work an "A" into a falcon logo that would be great (assuming it doesn't damage the logo's quality). But an "F" in a falcon is silly, as is the Eagles making their logo left-facing just to have an "E" in their eagle head.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This has surely already been posted but damned if I'm going through 500 pages. It's also really petty:

Team abbreviations (BOS, CLE, PHI, etc) should be based on the team's official location only, with the only exception being when more than one team claims that city/location and more distinction is definitely needed. So NYY/NYM, LAL/LAC, CHC/CHW and so on are fine. LAK and NYK are not fine, because the competing teams in their market don't claim Los Angeles or New York as their geographic identifier. The Kings and Knicks should just be LA and NY respectively.

I hate when nicknames get folded into abbreviations that can be (and historically have been) covered with two letters (NJD, TBR, SAS, GSW) for no other reason than durrrr it has to be three letters. And I really hate the VGK and CBJ abbreviations in the NHL. VGK we can't do much about since the jackasses who own the team were too cool to name it "Las Vegas", so just one more reason to abhor that franchise I guess. But why couldn't Columbus be "CBS"? To me that's a perfectly intuitive abbreviation for the city. Don't even try to tell me that people would confuse it for the network. I know it's 20 years too late now, I'm just spouting off.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

The Seattle Mariners don't new a brand refresh or new uniforms. The identity introduced in 1993 is a modern classic and, aside from maybe having too many outlines on their wordmarks, their uniforms are perfect as is. 

Not sure if this is unpopular but it needs to be said with the new City Connect recently being released. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

The Seattle Mariners don't new a brand refresh or new uniforms. The identity introduced in 1993 is a modern classic and, aside from maybe having too many outlines on their wordmarks, their uniforms are perfect as is. 

Not sure if this is unpopular but it needs to be said with the new City Connect recently being released. 

I agree with this. I love the colours, I love the compass rose motif. The one caveat I have is I think their script could use an update/tweak.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, who do you think said:

But why couldn't Columbus be "CBS"? To me that's a perfectly intuitive abbreviation for the city. Don't even try to tell me that people would confuse it for the network. I know it's 20 years too late now, I'm just spouting off.

In MLS Columbus uses CLB. 

Along similar lines, WSH looks better as an abbreviation than WAS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

In MLS Columbus uses CLB. 

Along similar lines, WSH looks better as an abbreviation than WAS.

And MTL is better than MON as well as WPG being superior to WIN for Montreal and Winnipeg respectively 

• Like 5

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10