Unpopular Opinions

On 6/15/2023 at 10:44 AM, JerseyJimmy said:

I think the Eagles' kelly greens are the most overrated uniforms in football history. this isn't to say they're bad, but they really aren't anything special, and I don't understand this obsession with them. I think the midnight green look is a far more unique one. leave brighter greens to the Jets.

The most tired take on here is that every single team in each league has to have an absolutely unique color scheme at all costs. There is literally no reason the Jets couldn't wear the same color as the Eagles - and they don't even wear kelly anyways.

That being said, the Eagles have worn midnight my entire life so that's just how they look to me. The kellies are fine but they don't seem like the Eagles to me. I'd assume someone older would feel the opposite.

On a separate note, they should pick one or the other. Throwbacks only serve to dilute the brand.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

On 6/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, Chromatic said:

This is like the polar opposite of an unpopular opinion. Those uniforms are beloved. 

Absolutely.  I personally never liked them but appreciated their uniqueness and definitely prefer them to anything they've worn since. (Like the logo; don't like the asymmetrical stripes;  appreciate the eggplant even though I didn't love it.)

The question is whether this opinion is unpopular (I legitimately don't know).  Anaheim Ducks is a fine name. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim was a silly name not fit for an NHL team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

52 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Ducks is a silly name for a team imo. I would love Oregon if it wasn't for that.

There are far worse nicknames out there. Looking at you, UC Santa Cruz...

• Dislike 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 6/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, OnWis97 said:

Absolutely.  I personally never liked them but appreciated their uniqueness and definitely prefer them to anything they've worn since. (Like the logo; don't like the asymmetrical stripes;  appreciate the eggplant even though I didn't love it.)

The question is whether this opinion is unpopular (I legitimately don't know).  Anaheim Ducks is a fine name. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim was a silly name not fit for an NHL team.

I don't see how it's out of place in a league with the Lightning, Wild, and Kraken. Even worse is those latter two are in traditional hockey markets so them having goofy minor league names is a terrible aesthetic imo.

That said, I like both names the Ducks have had.

16 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I don't see how it's out of place in a league with the Lightning, Wild, and Kraken. Even worse is those latter two are in traditional hockey markets so them having goofy minor league names is a terrible aesthetic imo.

That said, I like both names the Ducks have had.

No argument on those names being bad. I think they're a product of the need to have a unique name at all costs. But I would call them minor league as much as I'd simply call them "lame."  Actually I don't think of "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" as minor league. I think of it as very unserious...something that I know a lot of people appreciate in sports. So it's all about tastes, anyway, I guess. To me, that one was worse than simply a "bad name." 

The funny thing is that while I knew they were named after the "Mighty Ducks" movie, I still thought they were the Anaheim Ducks for a while because I don't think using "Mighty" in an NHL name even occurred to me. Then at some point, I thought they were the Anaheim Mighty Ducks before finally realizing they were the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I believe the NY Jets were originally the Titans of New York...and while Titans is an OK, albeit unspectacular, name, the whole "of New York" thing is just silly, in my opinion.

Now, had the "Rocky Mountain Extreme" come to fruition, that would have taken the cake. That would have covered just about every terrible naming approach. I suppose "Extreme of the Rocky Mountains" would have been needed to obtain true perfection.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Then at some point, I thought they were the Anaheim Mighty Ducks before finally realizing they were the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I believe the NY Jets were originally the Titans of New York...and while Titans is an OK, albeit unspectacular, name, the whole "of New York" thing is just silly, in my opinion.

That's one of those quirks I really liked. The Spirits of St. Louis from the ABA did it the best. It's a simple way to differentiate yourself while only slightly altering the naming formula. It would be annoying if it became a trend though. Once in a generation is enough

4 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

That's one of those quirks I really liked. The Spirits of St. Louis from the ABA did it the best. It's a simple way to differentiate yourself while only slightly altering the naming formula. It would be annoying if it became a trend though. Once in a generation is enough

The Spirits of St. Louis were named after a thing though, much like the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I'm not sure it really works outside of that.

It's where I sit.

This is best looking jersey the Blue Jackets have had in their 23 year history.  I absolutely love it, especially the minor inclusion of  neon-green on the right shoulder patch.  Normally, things like having a base colour found nowhere else on the uniform, having red exclusively on the logos & number or using both black & navy would bother me...  But against all odds, this uniform comes together and just looks fantastic.  It should be their full-time home with a matching white.

rA5hYhr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to post this in the Gear Grinder thread, but figured this might be the more correct thread for it.

Much like your fantasy football team, nobody cares about your fantasy uniform predictions for the season.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

It's where I sit.

Fantasy uniform predictions? What does this even mean?

• Like 1

POTD (Shared)

19 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I was going to post this in the Gear Grinder thread, but figured this might be the more correct thread for it.

Much like your fantasy football team, nobody cares about your fantasy uniform predictions for the season.

Also no one care about your NBA city uniform predictions

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The predictions made in the week by week NFL Uniform thread.

I’m sensing 2-3 uniform combinations-per-season favoritism

20 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m sensing 2-3 uniform combinations-per-season favoritism

I don't care how many uniforms you predict from. I couldn't care less about the makeup of your fantasy football team, nor which britches a given team will wear in a given week.

PS - that's one option more than necessary since you brought it up😁

It's where I sit.

On 7/16/2023 at 6:37 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Much like my proposal that ended nonsensical realignment derailments, maybe there should be the "Pointless Uniform Predictions Outpost" thread.

It's one thing to speculate at throwback games, but when people are posting helmet/jersey/pants/sock combos for all 17 games, it's a little much.  I'm not sure if nobody cares, but I can't imagine why anyone would.  I certainly don't. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."