Unpopular Opinions

spacer.png

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

spacer.png

Not the worst list, except for the "overrated retro look" tier. At the very least that tier fits the criteria for this thread.

What changes would you make to the uniforms in the second tier?

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

spacer.png

I surprisingly agree with most of these, save for the Penguins. Those 80s jerseys kinda suck imo. Too many different striping patterns and a really top heavy look. I would put them in your "overrated retro look" tier, but I would also place that tier a bit higher up the chart 😂

Seeing your list does remind me that I forgot to include Tampa Bay in my bottom tier. The Torontroit Blue Maple Wings + clipart logo experiment has lasted long enough, they're overdue for a rebrand. The alternate is probably a good place to start

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

Not the worst list, except for the "overrated retro look" tier. At the very least that tier fits the criteria for this thread.

What changes would you make to the uniforms in the second tier?

Sabres: I like the white goathead jersey better than the black

Blackhawks: add a tie-down collar

Senators: add some gold trim

Blues: go back to gold numbers on the home jerseys

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

22 hours ago, Ark said:

I really like this uniform. 

2d8a125f61fe56ab214a11c8880c9ab0a39fdde1

607309.jpg

Especially as a set with the more traditional white uniform.

Agreed. Didn't look good on paper but in the real world it just somehow worked

I really liked the mismatching traditional home/funky away/both-traditional-AND-funky alternate uniform set they had in the early 2000s

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Solid list

My bottom tier for sure includes the Caps. I'd add Carolina, Nashville and Washington. Maybe Anaheim still, but I wanna see them in the context of a game before I make up my mind

CBJ aren't that bad imo, just a bit dull. I'd personally bring back lime green accents but I'm sure this opinion definitely belongs in this thread. Until then, they belong in the "meh/serviceable/acceptable/passing grade" tier just above lmao

I think Carolina has serviceable uniforms, they're just horrifically mismanaged: A full-time road jersey with a nickname on it and red helmets is bush league, but that's not really the fault of the design - slap the primary logo on that jersey, wear it with white helmets, and I think that's a solid look. 

Of course, if they really wanted to fix things, they'd bring back the original uniforms (they wore the home version in the 2023 playoffs before inexplicably retiring them for the inferior modernized version that they had replaced).

Nashville is boring. I'd say bottom half of the league, but not a tire fire. Sort of where you are with CBJ.

Anaheim hasn't even played in their new design yet, I'll hold off on that. But I will say I'm not that impressed so far and I'm waiting for the inevitable orange helmets on the road which they'll be allowed to wear every game because no one else has orange helmets.

Please fire whoever works at the NHL who approved unlimited colored helmets on the road.

'

• Applause 1

most football teams look better with white cleats, as black cleats can clash with uniforms without black, while white cleats offer a cleaner look. Although i appreciate the classic aesthetic associated with black cleats in football

• Like 1

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

Everyone hates the current Titans set. I'd argue it's actually a great set with the right combinations. The light blue top with white pants is a very good look. The only thing wrong with it is the random blobs under the armpit. It blows my mind they don't wear that instead of trying to impersonate the Seahawks.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

Nostalgia is such a weird thing. In the 90's, I always loved when teams would do wild designs like the NHL's first attempt at 3rds and the MLB's Turn Ahead the Clock night.  Now, i generally hate when NBA and MLB do these off brand jerseys that Nike loves. 

I'd call those my favorite uniforms in team history...at least in a vacuum (i.e., most aesthetically pleasing even if they're the biggest departure from the team's history and don't really "fit"), starting with the change from the "MB" hat to the "M" hat. I really did not like the MB logo but everything else about these uniforms really felt like a slightly (i.e., the gold) modernized truly classic baseball aesthetic.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

20 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'd call those my favorite uniforms in team history...at least in a vacuum (i.e., most aesthetically pleasing even if they're the biggest departure from the team's history and don't really "fit"), starting with the change from the "MB" hat to the "M" hat. I really did not like the MB logo but everything else about these uniforms really felt like a slightly (i.e., the gold) modernized truly classic baseball aesthetic.

I do think that the second iteration of this set ('97-'99) was better than the '94-'96 set.

Removed the larger bookend letters on the wordmark:

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996) Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

Milwaukee Brewers (1997 - 1997)  Milwaukee Brewers (1997 - 1997)

Replaced the busy "MB" hat logo with a simpler "M":

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)  Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

I think had the Brewers been an expansion team in 1994, this would have been better-received.

One interesting (at least to me) thing about these sets was that the more colorful caps were worn on the road, as opposed to at home,  the opposite of most teams at the time:

Home on left, road on right:

Milwaukee:

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)  Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

California:

California Angels (1993 - 1996)  California Angels (1993 - 1996)

Cleveland:

Cleveland Indians (1986 - 2002)  Cleveland Indians (1994 - 2002)

Tampa:

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (2001 - 2005)  Tampa Bay Devil Rays (2001 - 2004)

Baltimore:

Baltimore Orioles (1999 - 2008)  Baltimore Orioles (1999 - 2008)

Seattle:

Seattle Mariners (1993 - 2003)  Seattle Mariners (1993 - Pres)

• Like 4

I'd actually forgotten about that wordmark change. Definite improvement for the second set.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 8/16/2024 at 7:35 AM, RobertG said:

One interesting (at least to me) thing about these sets was that the more colorful caps were worn on the road, as opposed to at home,  the opposite of most teams at the time

IIRC the Orioles' orange-billed cap was an alternate at the time, they didn't start wearing it as their home cap until they returned to orange lettering on their whites, by which time the Brewers had switched to the Miller set.  Another good example was the Cardinals wearing red caps at home, navy away, and the 99 Reds (red w/black bill at home, black w/red bill away).  Not sure how you'd classify the 93-98 Reds (white/red bill at home, solid red away) or Marlins (solid teal home, teal with black bill away), or the 97-99 Pirates, for that matter (black home, gray away)...then the Cubs and Tigers were also in the same camp as the Brewers in wearing more colorful caps on the road (red bill for the Cubs, orange D and bill, then orange bill and caged tiger, and later still the current solid navy with orange D for the Tigers), and apparently the Blue Jays briefly wore their red-billed alt cap on the road, coinciding with the last two seasons of the Germanic Brewers.  The D-backs are a weird fit here, as while their 1999 caps are obvious (brighter option at home), 98 is in the tough call category, as like it'd be a year later, the home cap was purple, but the road black cap had a turquoise bill.  

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

I'm ready for the Niners to bring these back as a throwback alt

81225353.jpg.jpg

I think this is one of those uniform sets that ages better with time. Some things I could nitpick with this uniform set, but I've warmed up to it lately.

rAUPGPZ.png