Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

I'm pretty sure the Premiership is empirically a higher level of soccer than MLS.

I assume that's directed at me?

I don't disagree that the standard players are held to is a much higher level, therefore making the premiership a higher level.

My point isn't that. My point is that doesn't mean that MLS sucks and we should ignore it.

To further that thought, if it weren't for MLS there would be alot less Americans playing the sport at a pro level and we would not have seen the US advance as far as they did in this past world cup.

My advise: Look at the league from the point of view it was created for. To give Americans (and now, Canadians as well) a platform to play a high level of soccer on a regular basis in order to help Canada and the US do better on an international stage.

And now....I'm going to stop talking about this as this thread is about Sporting KC and the re-brand. Not MLS vs other leagues.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the Premiership is empirically a higher level of soccer than MLS.

I assume that's directed at me?

I don't disagree that the standard players are held to is a much higher level, therefore making the premiership a higher level.

My point isn't that. My point is that doesn't mean that MLS sucks and we should ignore it.

To further that thought, if it weren't for MLS there would be alot less Americans playing the sport at a pro level and we would not have seen the US advance as far as they did in this past world cup.

My advise: Look at the league from the point of view it was created for. To give Americans (and now, Canadians as well) a platform to play a high level of soccer on a regular basis in order to help Canada and the US do better on an international stage.

And now....I'm going to stop talking about this as this thread is about Sporting KC and the re-brand. Not MLS vs other leagues.

3+.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

What highfalutin nonsense.

Suggesting insecurity and xenophobia is at the root of the objections to this name is so cheap. Doing a listomania with teams from all over the world is useless padding, and proves nothing. I also don't see how "DC United" and "Chicago Fire" fit nicely into the mold of American nicknames. Nobody cares if there's a team in Europe that uses the "Sporting" name. The point is that "Sporting Kansas City" sounds profoundly stupid. That's all people care about. Borrow naming conventions from wherever you want, as long as it sounds good.

I'd rather it have been Athletic Kansas City, if they were going to go that route. Either way, the logo sucks.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'd rather it have been Athletic Kansas City, if they were going to go that route. Either way, the logo sucks.

Yeah, this is where I come down on this too.

The name is silly, but you can always justify a name somehow. The logo is disorganized, and doesn't support the brand concept in the way they insist. There is certainly a better solution incorporating/honing the elements they describe.

Perhaps if they made the SC interlocking letters a larger focus, and had better typographical choices, it would improve. Longer term as the brand matures, perhaps.

Geeze people. How wrong can you be . . . about me?

The Cosmos are part of a legacy that mean a lot to this city. The Red Bull or Bulls or whatever you want to call them has never embraced this city. They could play in Alaska for all I care.

Look folks, bad nicknames like Clash and Mutiny doesn't mean it is the "American" way. It simply means bad marketing. And the MLS was never really in danger of going down. The old NASL had some terrific logos and nicknames and there is nothing wrong with taking the most successful and marrying it to the new.

Good NASL nicknames: Minutement, Cosmos, Lancers, Aztecs, Atoms, Sounders, Timbers, Roughnecks, Toros, Stars, Earthquakes, Dynamos

Mediocre: Olympique, Manic, Blizzard, Drillers, Strikers, Surf, Hurricane

Awful: Apollo, Caribou of Colorado, Chiefs, Diplomats, Darts, Thunder, Team Hawai'i, Rogues

Good MLS Nicknames: Dynamo, Revolution, Rapids, Fire

Medicore: Galaxy, Crew,Wizards

Awful: DC United, Mutiny (yeah, I get the pirate theme), Clash, Burn

So there is good and bad. As for the Euro names, which I do find offensive, do you guys like to eat in a New York-style deli or do like to eat in a real New York deli? See where I am going with this?

You find Euro-style names offensive? Wow. You really are warped about this whole NASL thing. That league is dead. Gone. No more. And there are very good reasons for that.

MLS is building its own traditions separate from the NASL. They're embracing certain elements of the game that are found in every other league, world wide. If that offends you, you're free to not watch and pop in some NASL tapes.

As for having to choose between a New York-style deli or an authentic New York deli, well I don't live in New York. As good as the authentic places may be I'm not making the trip for smoked meat. So I'll gladly eat New York-style, as it's the closest available. See where I'm going with this?

You find Euro-style names offensive? Wow. You really are warped about this whole NASL thing. That league is dead. Gone. No more. And there are very good reasons for that.

MLS is building its own traditions separate from the NASL. They're embracing certain elements of the game that are found in every other league, world wide. If that offends you, you're free to not watch and pop in some NASL tapes.

Does this mean we can throw lit flares onto the field?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Go for it!

It'll make TFC games more interesting.

Ice Cap:

Get a life.

I never said I was an NASL fan. I was a Cosmos fan. The NASL made so many mistakes it nearly ruined the game. They overexpanded, they chased players like George Best (who already had one foot in the grave due to his drinking). Did we really need teams in San Antonio, Memphis, Tulsa, Hawaii, San Diego, Las Vegas etc.? On the other hand, Minnesota, St. Louis, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, the Cosmos and to a degree Chicago, Washington, Rochester, San Jose were successful. I forget what year it was but I was in old DC Stadium to watch the Toros and Diplomats and the Dips drew 18,000 that day. The fact the NASL thought they could fill football stadia, follow the Cosmos blueprint, and become the fifth major sport instantly was pure folly.

I believe a generation has to root for a team for a tradition to take hold. Teams with nicknames and logos are what I grew up with. Maybe in a generation or so, TFC will be the norm. To me its being a wanna be and not being able to carve out your own identity. Real Salt Lake? Sure, Magellen discovered Utah, didn't he?

So Ice Cap, to the Argos mean anything to you or would you just like to call them say, the Toronto FC, and refer to them as the double blues, strip them of their logos and be done with it?

As for New York style deli, if you aren't going to make the trip for Montreal smoked meat, why bother? If you are going to settle for the next best thing, then maybe your argument holds water.

Ice Cap:

Get a life.

Generic catch-all insults!

I never said I was an NASL fan. I was a Cosmos fan. The NASL made so many mistakes it nearly ruined the game. They overexpanded, they chased players like George Best (who already had one foot in the grave due to his drinking). Did we really need teams in San Antonio, Memphis, Tulsa, Hawaii, San Diego, Las Vegas etc.? On the other hand, Minnesota, St. Louis, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, the Cosmos and to a degree Chicago, Washington, Rochester, San Jose were successful. I forget what year it was but I was in old DC Stadium to watch the Toros and Diplomats and the Dips drew 18,000 that day. The fact the NASL thought they could fill football stadia, follow the Cosmos blueprint, and become the fifth major sport instantly was pure folly.

Cool story. Here's the thing though. MLS is under no obligation to reuse old NASL identities. Were some of the NASL franchises successful? Sure. So what though? Why can't MLS develop its own traditions, its own legacy to build on?

For the record, I don't object to the Cosmos making a comeback as the second MLS team in NY. I object to the idea, however, that MLS should bend over backwards to use old NASL identities. By and large I prefer Toronto FC to Toronto Blizzard and DC United to Washington Whips or Darts.

I believe a generation has to root for a team for a tradition to take hold. Teams with nicknames and logos are what I grew up with. Maybe in a generation or so, TFC will be the norm. To me its being a wanna be and not being able to carve out your own identity.

So what you're saying is that things were better when you were young and these kids today don't know what's what. Ok, fair enough. I agree, people have a right to root for the traditions they grew up with. What you should realize, however, is that today's generation is growing up with names like Toronto FC, DC United, and the like.

Real Salt Lake? Sure, Magellen discovered Utah, didn't he?

For the record I think both Real Salt Lake and Sporting KC have gone to far. The Wizards should have stayed the Wizards and Royal Salt Lake or Salt Lake Royals would have worked just fine in Utah.

So Ice Cap, to the Argos mean anything to you or would you just like to call them say, the Toronto FC, and refer to them as the double blues, strip them of their logos and be done with it?

I'm a Ti-Cats fan, but nice try.

Anyhow the Argonauts have, what, over 100 years of history as the Argonauts? That name is their tradition. Toronto FC was founded in 2007. They're building their own traditions.

I'm glad to see that someone has generalized all soccer fans as hooligans who start riots.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

I'm glad to see that someone has generalized all soccer fans as hooligans who start riots.

Only the Italians.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I still have a jersey from around 1998 when they were the Wiz, I just don't think it will make much difference in the popularity here in KC. I remember when they came wondering why they didn't just use the name the Comets. Ohh well it really didn't receive much coverage here.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Only the Italians.

Is there a problem with Italians?

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

Only the Italians.

Is there a problem with Italians?

They can't take a joke?

Today, we are all otaku.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived