New Ottawa Senators Logo.... With Heart

Howie

Because a franchise with the same name from the same city isn't an entirely new franchise. It's reviving a franchise along with their history rather than creating an entirely new one. It might be cheap way of gaining legitimacy (although I don't recall the Ottawa Senators being very legit during the first few years of their second existence), but it's not a crime against humanity, either.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A teams history should not be scraped because they change names or move. The current Ottawa Senators taking the history of the original Senators/Silver Seven is a bad attempt at getting legitamacy in the NHL as an expansion team, while still 'honoring' Ottawa's hockey past.

The Browns history belongs to Baltimore, not the expansion team.

The current Washington Nationals has Montreal's history, not Minnesota's or Texas'.

the current Montreal Alouettes has the Baltimore Stallions history, not the old Alouettes/Concordes history.

In theory, if the Tampa Bay Lightning decide to move Winnipeg and win the next Stanley Cup, they have two. One from Tampa and one from Winnipeg. A teams history isn't destroyed because they moved.

As for the Stanley Cup debate, the total Stanley Cup list should be as follows:

Montreal Canadiens 24

Toronto Maple Leafs 13 (11 Maple Leafs, 1 St. Patricks, 1 Arenas)

Detroit Red Wings 11 (10 Red Wings, 1 Victoria Cougars)

Ottawa Senators 11 (7 Senators, 4 Silver Seven)

Your argument is kinda contridictory. You claim that what Ottawa is doing is bad, yet at the same time your accepting their stupid attempt at claiming a dead franchises accomplishments. Toronoto has every right to honor the St. Pats and Arena's because they are the same franchise, Detroit can claim an 11th cup because their previous incarnation of their team won one in Victoria. Ottawa, a completely NEW franchise cannot claim the previous success of a team that has the same name as them AND happens to be in the same city. If this is the case, Minnesota, Colorado and Atlanta can claim the history of the teams who were previously there, BECAUSE they just happen to be in the same city. Whether a franchise has moved or was disband, the history moves or dies with that franchise. I will not accept the "11" Stanley Cups the Sens have because THEY have no won them, some other team did.

Sorry, I should have stated that the 'original' Senators have 11 Cups. The 1990s version does not.

The Toronto Blueshirts are a different franshise than the Arenas/St. Patricks/Maple Leafs

The Montreal Amature Athletic Association is a different franchise from the Montreal Canadiens. That's why the Candiens created a patch to celebrate their centenial in 2009, not 1993 (100 years after the Montreal AAA were awarded the first Stanley Cup).

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Sorry, I should have stated that the 'original' Senators have 11 Cups. The 1990s version does not.

The Toronto Blueshirts are a different franshise than the Arenas/St. Patricks/Maple Leafs

The Montreal Amature Athletic Association is a different franchise from the Montreal Canadiens. That's why the Candiens created a patch to celebrate their centenial in 2009, not 1993 (100 years after the Montreal AAA were awarded the first Stanley Cup).

right, and the senators 93 team is NOT the same franchise as the early senators.

understand yet?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Question: If Winnipeg was awarded an expansion team which, odd are extremely likely, they'll name the Jets, will they still retire #25 for Thomas Steen or #9 for Bobby Hull?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

It's a moot point as there will never be another NHL franchise based in Winnipeg. The MTS Centre is too small (15,015 for hockey) and there is a lack of corporate presence required for an NHL team to be successful in Winnipeg. The NHL will not move a team from a poor financial situation in one city to Winnipeg where they would require permanent revenue assistance just to survive.

understand yet?

What am I suposed to understand here? The current Ottawa Senators and the Ottawa Senators that moved to St. Louis in 1934 are different francises or that you have no idea about how the debating process works?

You just proved my point. Those Senators are now property of the St. Louis Eagles, and whoever they turned into, if they moved yet again. This is even more of a reason for why the current Sens have no right to claim anything from the former franchise considering they didnt even fold in that city, but moved to an entirly different one. It would be the same as a future team in Quebec or Winnipeg honoring players who made a name for themselves in those city's with teams who are no longer there and somewhere else instead.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

understand yet?

What am I suposed to understand here? The current Ottawa Senators and the Ottawa Senators that moved to St. Louis in 1934 are different francises or that you have no idea about how the debating process works?

Lesson 1 of debate... when you start to insult the other participant you accept that fact that you have lost.

I wish I could say this was fun -- although it was until you started up.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

understand yet?

Lesson 1 of debate... when you start to insult the other participant you accept that fact that you have lost.

The poor kid has an identiy crisis. He lives in 'Sauga and believes that the Sens are better then the Leafs. He's just cranky that we jackass Leafs fans are right in our accusations that the Sens suck. If he doesn't want to accept the fact that once again we Leafers are right, then by all means he can believe he supports a team that has won 11 Stanley Cups and are 3rd overall in Stanley Cup wins. But if he can't prove his rediculous point, then don't act like the lesser man and insult those who beat you in a debate, one which was poorly argued in favor of the Sens.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

understand yet?

I'm sorry were you insulted by that comment. I thought the first rule of debating was to make the other participant see your side of the argument or at least agree with you. Which I have already done! The EXPANSION Senators are not the ORIGINAL Senators. I don't beleive the EXPANSION Senators have 11 Cups.

understand yet?

The poor kid has an identiy crisis. He lives in 'Sauga and believes that the Sens are better then the Leafs. He's just cranky that we jackass Leafs fans are right in our accusations that the Sens suck. If he doesn't want to accept the fact that once again we Leafers are right, then by all means he can believe he supports a team that has won 11 Stanley Cups and are 3rd overall in Stanley Cup wins. But if he can't prove his rediculous point, then don't act like the lesser man and insult those who beat you in a debate, one which was poorly argued in favor of the Sens.

Maybe you should know more of somebody's background before you make assumptions.

#1 I'm not a kid and am probably older than you.

#2 I haven't lived in Mississauga all my life. Are you going to become a Habs fan if you moved to Montreal?

I'm sorry were you insulted by that comment. I thought the first rule of debating was to make the other participant see your side of the argument or at least agree with you.

Other way around, boss. It's far easier to get an opponent to acknowledge your point of view than it is to get them to come over to your side. If you're going to start lecturing people, make sure you're correct first. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

understand yet?

Maybe you should know more of somebody's background before you make assumptions.

#2 I haven't lived in Mississauga all my life. Are you going to become a Habs fan if you moved to Montreal?

Aww come on, get a SENSe of humor. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

• 2 weeks later...
understand yet?

funny :rolleyes:

It looks like the sens will be playing the leafs on saturday

nothing better than hockey night in canada

go sens go

Hi, how are you?

understand yet?

funny :rolleyes:

It looks like the sens will be playing the leafs on saturday

nothing better than hockey night in canada

go sens go

You mean nothing better then watching your Sens and their now impotent line up be whooped by my Leafs on Hockey Night In Canada? I can't wait!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Ok, lets just stop this now and let me close it:

Peter Forsberg is better than any player on either team.

Simon Gagne, yes, better than any player on either team.

The Flyers will beat either in the playoffs.

The Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup if they don't have to play the Lightning.

There, glad I cleared that up.

1975. :D

6uXNWAo.png

The Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup if they don't have to play the Lightning.

Oh wait wheres Forsberg? Oh right, back in his familiar lay-z-boy chair nursing yet another typical injury. Where is the other half of the team? Oh right, on their lay-z-boys nursing their injuries. Isnt it a reversal of fortune, the Leafs are healthy for once and the Flyers are dying.

Hasek, the injury bug has you in his sights, your next!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Hasek, your next!

GoldbergGoLeafsGo.jpg

OMFGZ, ITS THE INJURY BUG!!!

...in the form of a wrestler...

That is godly, best thing I've seen all day.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Oh wait wheres Forsberg? Oh right, back in his familiar lay-z-boy chair nursing yet another typical injury. Where is the other half of the team? Oh right, on their lay-z-boys nursing their injuries. Isnt it a reversal of fortune, the Leafs are healthy for once and the Flyers are dying.

Hasek, the injury bug has you in his sights, your next!

Forsbergs back, he scored a goal yesterday :P

Archived