Bears Throwbacks?

cranium

While attending the Bears-Cardinals preseason game on Saturday I noticed a throwback jersey I had never seen before. At first, I thought it was fake, but I saw about 20 of them around the stadium. They appear to be modeled after the upcoming Bears throwback jerseys where the sleeve stripes are just orange with no white outline. What made them look fake was that the name on the back was in huge lettering. I only saw Payton and Butkus jerseys in this style, but they all had the huge lettering and same striping pattern. I found a link to what I think I saw at the game. Are these legit? They appear to have the NFL shield. They just look odd, plus I doubt that Payton ever actually wore that style of jersey. My link

savedpictures013-1.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first, I thought it was fake, but I saw about 20 of them around the stadium.

That should be your first clue that they are fake. I saw far more fake jerseys than real ones at the one Lions game I have been to. In my opinion, they are definitely fake. The materials all look cheap and the price is too good to be true.

MegatronSig2.jpg

While attending the Bears-Cardinals preseason game on Saturday I noticed a throwback jersey I had never seen before. At first, I thought it was fake, but I saw about 20 of them around the stadium. They appear to be modeled after the upcoming Bears throwback jerseys where the sleeve stripes are just orange with no white outline. What made them look fake was that the name on the back was in huge lettering. I only saw Payton and Butkus jerseys in this style, but they all had the huge lettering and same striping pattern. I found a link to what I think I saw at the game. Are these legit? They appear to have the NFL shield. They just look odd, plus I doubt that Payton ever actually wore that style of jersey. My link

I want to say those have been in circulation for at least three years now. And yes, they are terrible, counterfeit crap, designed for fans who have no idea what their own team's uniforms look like.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

for one season in the early 70s (1973 maybe), the Bears switched to traditional varsity numbers from their usual rounded ones. Not sure of the reason, but it was a one-season thing. Butkus was playing at the time, and I've seen clips on NFL Films of him in that style, albeit the white version.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

for one season in the early 70s (1973 maybe), the Bears switched to traditional varsity numbers from their usual rounded ones. Not sure of the reason, but it was a one-season thing. Butkus was playing at the time, and I've seen clips on NFL Films of him in that style, albeit the white version.

I'm almost certain that one-year change was only on the road jerseys, while the homes kept the traditional look.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey, they're close...

41QQLW9uPYL._SS500_.jpg2009912322050175.jpg

:wacko:

Thanks for posting the salejerseys.com link. I always wanted a Saints QB practice jersey with the Captain's patch and authentic gold numbers/NOB. :P

20101218163339188.jpg

Actually the knockoff Saints jerseys I've seen are pretty good with the exception of wonky FDLs. They're pretty screwed up, though casual observers probably wouldn't even notice.

2FDL.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 9 months later...

At first, I thought it was fake, but I saw about 20 of them around the stadium.

you mean you thought it is true now,right?

Hey, dude try not to revive threads that have been dead for almost a year unless you have something new to add.

Some people get pretty pissed about stuff like this. :grin:

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Hey, they're close...

41QQLW9uPYL._SS500_.jpg

Da BEARS have been using those same number fonts (above) for as long as I can remember. It's always worked for them.

They used these number fonts one year, not sure when, maybe 1968 or 69?

Butkus_Dick_Action_150-220.jpg

I haven't found a home jersey version comparable though. Maybe one of our resident Chicago Bears experts can chime in?

The block numbers were only worn on the road. I don't know what the reasoning was for changing to block on the road, but the home jerseys kept the regular font.

It was probably cheaper to go with block rather than to go with customized fonts like the Bears have.

They used these number fonts one year, not sure when, maybe 1968 or 69?

Butkus_Dick_Action_150-220.jpg

I haven't found a home jersey version comparable though. Maybe one of our resident Chicago Bears experts can chime in?

I'm not a Bears expert but I think these jerseys with block numbers could have been early mesh jerseys with screened-on (or maybe heat press) numbers and these jerseys were therefore only worn in the warm weather months. I believe the durene cold-weather jerseys for the Bears retained the rounded numbers. Similar to the Vikings wearing plain purple jerseys with white numbers in the warm months and the Northwestern striped jerseys with gold-trimmed numbers in cold weather in 1969. Several other teams did this back then.

The shot of Butkis has to be at least 1972 - the "C" on the helmet is orange with a white outline; from the time they put the "C" on the helmet through 1971 they used a white "C".

Archived