Buffalo Sabres New Uniform Leaked

ThePreacher

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's because the shapes of NC and SC aren't exactly recognizable. I'd bet that if you showed an average member on this site the outline of either of those states (especially South Carolina) and asked them what it was, they wouldn't know.

Yes they would, because the people who post here are dorks like me who studied geography and stuff as kids, and look down on the unwashed masses who, as adults, still can't identify the outlines of American states.

3079.gif

^"supposed" to be the overhead view of a piston

No, that is a basketball. The old logo on which that one is based was supposed to be dually interpreted as a piston and a ball. This is just a ball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3079.gif

Absolutely not! I've worked with the designer of the logo and that was not intended at all. It's just an update to the classic logo. . . that was it.

Then I've been mislead by several people. I've heard/read elsewhere that both the current logo and the classic logo were intended to look like pistons.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yes they would, because the people who post here are dorks like me who studied geography and stuff as kids, and look down on the unwashed masses who, as adults, still can't identify the outlines of American states.

No offense, but I don't think the fact that you consider yourself a dork has anything to do with what the majority of people on this site are.

3079.gif

Absolutely not! I've worked with the designer of the logo and that was not intended at all. It's just an update to the classic logo. . . that was it.

Then I've been mislead by several people. I've heard/read elsewhere that both the current logo and the classic logo were intended to look like pistons.

I do not see a piston in there anywhere, no matter how outside the box I think, or how much imagination I use...

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I wouldn't mind if the Flames adopted those jerseys as their full-timers. Add a white version and they'd be on of the best sets in the league as opposed to their current outfit which is easily in the bottom 3rd.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not really buying the state-shape thing with the panthers (or even the bobcats.) Thing is, if they really wanted to, they could have made it look like the shape of the state, and it could have been a cooler logo for it.

Anyways....none of these logos other than the sabres comes really even close to being an actual pictogram. I guess the twins get it done, but with extra stuff. The devils isn't even close.... You'd need a little devil in a jersey with a price tag (which techincally still wouldn't be since it isn't plural, but I'd let that one pass.)

As for the new uni's -- I'm not a big fan of the third at all. Nameplate = crappy, the stripes seem wierd, and the script thing on the front just doesn't do it for me.

Three things.

1. The Sabres now look decent. Unfortunately most of their decisions have been cop-outs relying on the decentness of old things instead of actually doing something good, and so for that reason they're new look isn't good. I do like their alt.

2. I believe Buffalo is named after the french phrase for "a beautiful river" or something like that, right? Clearly they don't identify with that and do with the animal now, but it should be noted that the LA Angles and the Buffalo Buffalos (were that an actual team name) are not the same thing at all.

3. The NHL 2010-11 thread gets a giant thumbs down from me. I miss knowing everything that was happening in uniform and logo design because any change was (and still is) worthy of it's own thread. Group threads sucks.

The white jersey looks cheap. Like something you'd find at Walmart*, so I'm not a fan of those. The blue "Buffalo" jersey is nice, I don't like the NOB, but the unique stitching on the number isn't bad, but it's not something I'd like to see become a trend.

IUe6Hvh.png

9hv4bkecugkhwoogsflfr39d9.gif

^I know a lot of people who couldn't see the dc in this.

What do they see?

The Panther logo = the states outline does not work for me.

I highly doubt anyone not knowing that and looking at the Panther would suddenly say 'hey, that looks like the 2 Carolinas!'

sig-1.png

SabresNew3rdBack1.jpg

Yikes! This nameplate trend Philly started needs to end pronto! Also I would have liked to have seen the same 4 yellow striped pattern on the alt. pant shell.

I like what they've done with the quad-stripe... A stripe for every decade of existence (celebrating 40 years of, umm, excellence?)... Kinda like what the Islanders did with their shoulder patches: Four (4) bars (orange and white rotating) to signify their four Stanley Cup Finals wins in the early 80's. In the words of Lee, Chum ~ "Awesome."

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

9hv4bkecugkhwoogsflfr39d9.gif

^I know a lot of people who couldn't see the dc in this.

What do they see?

The Panther logo = the states outline does not work for me.

I highly doubt anyone not knowing that and looking at the Panther would suddenly say 'hey, that looks like the 2 Carolinas!'

I've heard some people say they thought it was a "w", and I heard others say it was just a funky design that was supposed to represent magic in some capacity.

As for the Panthers logo, I agree with you. I didn't see it either at first. But I still think it was the designers' intent to make it resemble the outline.

I'm not really buying the state-shape thing with the panthers (or even the bobcats.) Thing is, if they really wanted to, they could have made it look like the shape of the state, and it could have been a cooler logo for it.

Anyways....none of these logos other than the sabres comes really even close to being an actual pictogram. I guess the twins get it done, but with extra stuff. The devils isn't even close.... You'd need a little devil in a jersey with a price tag (which techincally still wouldn't be since it isn't plural, but I'd let that one pass.)

As for the new uni's -- I'm not a big fan of the third at all. Nameplate = crappy, the stripes seem wierd, and the script thing on the front just doesn't do it for me.

I think it would have looked awful if they made it resemble the state outline too closely. The panther would have looked deathly ill or like it had just been run over. That's why I think it's such a loose interpretation.

3079.gif

I do not see a piston in there anywhere, no matter how outside the box I think, or how much imagination I use...

Overhead view, looking "down" the piston chamber. Have you seen a piston chamber in real life?

Archived