Buffalo Sabres New Uniform Leaked

ThePreacher

Well, let's think...

There's Los Angeles (which is actually an abbreviation of "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula [The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of the river of Porziuncola])", but obviously literally translates to "The Angels", so I suppose my favorite AL team is guilty of this. When AL baseball was brought to Los Angeles in 1961, our team was named "The Angels Angels" before becoming the "California Angels", "Anaheim Angels" and then back to "The Angels Angels of Anaheim."

So LA is guilty.

Then we have Phoenix. The Suns DO have a Phoenix on their secondary logo, so I suppose they're guilty. The Cards, Yotes and D-Backs not so much.

Beyond that, I don't think there are any other cities named after nouns (not including humans like Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Diego, Saint Joseph, Saint Louis, etc.)

I mean, I get it. I suppose I just demand more creativity once it starts to feel excessive...

No one is "guilty" of anything. Some cities just have names that are easy to play off of. Phoenix has the option to use a Phoenix in their logo package. Buffalo obviously has the option to use a bison in their logo package. These cities aren't "guilty", but rather they are lucky to have such unique names. I don't think anyone can hate them for being unique.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they really need to use Buffalos, because it's some civic symbol of pride, then they should name the teams after them, or just forgo nicknames all together. Working regional imagery into a logo package is one thing, but having said imagery compete for time / placement (and usually win) with your nickname oriented marks just doesn't seem right.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, let's think...

There's Los Angeles (which is actually an abbreviation of "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula [The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of the river of Porziuncola])", but obviously literally translates to "The Angels", so I suppose my favorite AL team is guilty of this. When AL baseball was brought to Los Angeles in 1961, our team was named "The Angels Angels" before becoming the "California Angels", "Anaheim Angels" and then back to "The Angels Angels of Anaheim."

So LA is guilty.

Then we have Phoenix. The Suns DO have a Phoenix on their secondary logo, so I suppose they're guilty. The Cards, Yotes and D-Backs not so much.

Beyond that, I don't think there are any other cities named after nouns (not including humans like Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Diego, Saint Joseph, Saint Louis, etc.)

I mean, I get it. I suppose I just demand more creativity once it starts to feel excessive...

No one is "guilty" of anything. Some cities just have names that are easy to play off of. Phoenix has the option to use a Phoenix in their logo package. Buffalo obviously has the option to use a bison in their logo package. These cities aren't "guilty", but rather they are lucky to have such unique names. I don't think anyone can hate them for being unique.

As the de facto police officer of these boards, perhaps you could suggest a more appropriate synonym/euphemism for me to use next time?

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

If they really need to use Buffalos, because it's some civic symbol of pride, then they should name the teams after them, or just forgo nicknames all together.

Wow, I think it's a little late for that. The Bills are 50 years old and the Sabres just turned 40.

Does anyone have a car with a flux capacitor? Maybe we can still fix this thing.

If they really need to use Buffalos, because it's some civic symbol of pride, then they should name the teams after them, or just forgo nicknames all together.

Wow, I think it's a little late for that. The Bills are 50 years old and the Sabres just turned 40.

Does anyone have a car with a flux capacitor? Maybe we can still fix this thing.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time and sterilize the parents of a few members of this board.

Fear not, SilverNRed - you would still be born.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, let's think...

So LA is guilty.

As the de facto police officer of these boards, perhaps you could suggest a more appropriate synonym/euphemism for me to use next time?

As a moderator of these boards, I'm going to suggest you learn not to be such a douche. I believe I've mentioned this to you before.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Aside from a few other "Buffalo" or "Bison" teams, I'd think that as soon as you see a Buffalo/Bison used in a logo the first thought would be a team from Buffalo, NY.

Similar to Seattle teams using the Space Needle, or Colorado teams using the rocky mountains/snow.

It's just something to recognize quickly.

bufg.png

If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time and sterilize the parents of a few members of this board.

Fear not, SilverNRed - you would still be born.

So long as you're going back there, could you go help my dad learn to stand up for himself and reach for his dreams?

Have him punch out the school bully at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance or something.

Having the buffalo with the sabres to spell out "Buffalo Sabres" is just fine by me. It's like how the penguin and the golden triangle combine to say "Pittsburgh Penguins." I can't forgive the goathead, the buffaslug, or whatever the Buffalo Bills are doing at any given time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Those white globs of toothpaste above and below the "Buffalo" on the blue jersey probably could've been swords.

Still it's better than the Bills, who named their team after a guy who slaughtered thousands of the animal the city is named for.

It's supposed to make you think of the old Pepsi script. It's a tribute to the old Buffalo Bisons Hockey team from the AHL mid 1950's. The guys who owned the local Pepsi bottling plant purchased the Buffalo Bisons hockey club from the Chicago Blackhawks and used a Pepsi Bottle Cap with "Buffalo" and "Hockey Club" written on the cap.

Here is a link if interested... Buffalo Bottle Cap Logo

To anyone outside the WNY area it probably looks like an idiotic, obvious sponsorship tie-in (back when US sports teams didn't normally do something like that), but locally those teams are held in pretty high esteem. We had some pretty good Coaches come through here with the Bisons, Don Cherry, Fred Shero to name a couple.

I guess that's why it reminds me of the old Pepsi logo.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

They could have at least put the B-sword on the shoulders and kept the modern number font.

Agree with you on the B-sword, as it's a well-executed secondary logo, which is getting trashed because the primary logo it was paired with was such a flop. (See also Lighthouse, New York Islanders.) Don't care one bit about the custom font going away, as it was just another tweaked version of Agency, which is becoming the block font of the 21st century at the rate it's going.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's supposed to make you think of the old Pepsi script. It's a tribute to the old Buffalo Bisons Hockey team from the AHL mid 1950's. The guys who owned the local Pepsi bottling plant purchased the Buffalo Bisons hockey club from the Chicago Blackhawks and used a Pepsi Bottle Cap with "Buffalo" and "Hockey Club" written on the cap.

Here is a link if interested... Buffalo Bottle Cap Logo

To anyone outside the WNY area it probably looks like an idiotic, obvious sponsorship tie-in (back when US sports teams didn't normally do something like that), but locally those teams are held in pretty high esteem. We had some pretty good Coaches come through here with the Bisons, Don Cherry, Fred Shero to name a couple.

BTW-I saw the A.H.L. Bisons play against the Amerks many times. We all loved the "bottle cap" logo.

And sorry to disappoint you but Don Cherry was NEVER WITH THE A.H.L. BUFFALO BISONS IN ANY CAPACITY! Where'd you come up with that revelation? Grapes played for the ROCHESTER AMERICANS during the Amerks' glory years of 1964-65 through 1967-68. He was a member of three Calder Cup Champion Amerk clubs ('65,'66,'68) and finalists in '67. They are the only A.H.L. club in history to play in four straight Calder Cup finals. They could have won two more Calder Cups if the Amerks franchise hadn't been sold to Vancouver interesets who would run the NHL expansion Canyucks. The majority of the great Rochester Amerk players were transferred to the Western Pro League Vancouver Canyucks who proceeded to win back-to-back WPHL Patrick Cup championships in '69 and '70. Vancouver's rape of the Amerks (they left us with a lot of over-the-hill and totally useless players) almost killed Rochester as a hockey city but eight local businessmen bought the team in the summer of 1972, installed Cherry as Coach/GM and operated independently for two years. They made the playoffs in 1973 and were the A.H.L. regular season champions in 1974. Cherry was hired by the Bruins for 1974-75. Because of the way Vancouver screwed Rochester for four years I totally hate the Canyucks and their "preppy" Blue & Green colors.

Yeah, Sharky has a point. The B/sabre logo would have worked nicely as shoulder logos with the new home/road set.

The third? I've thought about it, and I have to say I don't like it. Generally speaking fauxbacks only work if the team using them is relatively new. In those cases the fauxbacks almost become like something out of the concepts section. The Minnesota red sweater, for example, is kind of interesting in a "what if the Minnesota Wild existed during the 1930s" sort of way (not to say that it's not the right fit for the home sweater. It is, but that's another point). Some of the fauxbacks fail (Florida Panthers) but the concept works, I think, for newer teams, if executed correctly.

Teams like the Sabres, however, have a real history of their own. Fauxbacks, for teams like this, is just pointless. If they want an older look for their third use the original blue throwback. Don't create a throwback jersey that never existed.

I have other problems with the script fauxback alternate. The script. The NHL has to many script alternates as it is. It's also supposed to pay homage to the Buffalo Bisons' bottle cap logo, one of the most overrated logos in hockey history. Since it's not a true throwback the differences in colour scheme between the home/road set and the alternate are harder to ignore/accept. All in all the Sabres would have been better served utilizing the original blue throwback as the alternate, or perhaps not having an alternate with the current set at all.

If the throwback-ish third jersey was to be worn with a very modern home and road set, then I'd agree. But when paired with something which is a modern interpretation of an old style, it doesn't bother me that they're referencing an old script from the city.

Personally, I love the design. Couldn't care less if any other teams wear script alternates.

The more and more I look at the Buffalo Sabres logo here, the more I dislike it. I used to think it was decent, but I think it is awful now. It is just bad looking to me and when paired with a uniform with piping and other "new" features, that old logo looks even more out of place. Logo and uniforms are better than the Buffaslug, but are still bad. An updated version of the 1996-2006 uniforms would be great. I think I a concept is in order.

Archived