2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Heartless performance. They gave up after giving up that 2nd goal in the 3rd period.

And? This is an over-rated team and always has been. This loss doesn't surprise me at all. The Kings on their "10 game"(it's not)roadtrip, have picked up 8 out of 10 points. Then again, I have never been impressed by this Caps team and after this year they will have a new coach as they will be beaten in the first round. Biggest weakness of the Caps? In goal... STILL!!!

As much as I want to fault Varlamov on his performance today in net, the Caps backchecking failed to bail him out in this game.

You want to blame the backchecking? Really? Of the three goals I saw, I missed the second one, only the last goal was a backchecking (actually a pinching defensemen with 3 forwards down deep). The first and the third goal were goals that the Varlamov should've controlled. So that's two goals that were his fault. The Caps scored 1 goal. So the problem is where? In goal. End of story.

Well I'm not going to get into a pissing match here, so try to enjoy the win.

1 game where the goaltending has been suspect. The rest of the games Neuvirth, and Varlamov have been outstanding. I guess going 0-for on the Powerplay doesnt register with most people. Thats 3 for our last 37 on the powerplay. Problem? I think so.

I also want to note that it seems this team is extremely mentally soft. (NSFW)

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heartless performance. They gave up after giving up that 2nd goal in the 3rd period.

And? This is an over-rated team and always has been. This loss doesn't surprise me at all. The Kings on their "10 game"(it's not)roadtrip, have picked up 8 out of 10 points. Then again, I have never been impressed by this Caps team and after this year they will have a new coach as they will be beaten in the first round. Biggest weakness of the Caps? In goal... STILL!!!

As much as I want to fault Varlamov on his performance today in net, the Caps backchecking failed to bail him out in this game.

You want to blame the backchecking? Really? Of the three goals I saw, I missed the second one, only the last goal was a backchecking (actually a pinching defensemen with 3 forwards down deep). The first and the third goal were goals that the Varlamov should've controlled. So that's two goals that were his fault. The Caps scored 1 goal. So the problem is where? In goal. End of story.

1 game where the goaltending has been suspect. The rest of the games Neuvirth, and Varlamov have been outstanding. I guess going 0-for on the Powerplay doesnt register with most people. Thats 3 for our last 37 on the powerplay. Problem? I think so.

Well going back and watching the replays, Varlamov did a poor job of controlling the puck and that is his job. On the Loktinov goal, he kicked it back into the slot. Of course, if you want to ignore a problem, go ahead. Have fun exiting in the first round.

In the end, I think that's what's going to kill them.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

17 fighting majors. From what I see in this postgame show, I missed a pens game on the wrong night.

I turned the radio off at work when it went 5-0, its a good thing I came home and checked the final before I deleted this off the DVR, I feel compelled to watch this now. With the additional suspensions and injuries the Pens incurred in this it's going to be a wonder if they can ice even a half assed lineup for the next few games after this.

It's a shame, really. They had a ton of potential in the first half of the season. Crosby was on pace to an amazing season. Then the Winter Classic came, sid got rocked, and everyone else followed, and while they've managed to somewhat hold their own so far, they're pretty much an AHL team now. Granted, the best AHL team, but an AHL team is not winning the Stanley Cup.

No, the lost to the best AHL team last night. When your team resembles an AHL team full time then you can complain. :hockeysmiley:

Well going back and watching the replays, Varlamov did a poor job of controlling the puck and that is his job. On the Loktinov goal, he kicked it back into the slot. Of course, if you want to ignore a problem, go ahead. Have fun exiting in the first round.

Varlamov couldve played better, no ones saying any differently (well, Im not), however, if youve watched any of our games for most of the season, the goaltending has not been the problem. Theyve been playing good team defense as well. Being 16.7% on the year on the power play with as much talent as we've got is inexcusable. In fact, right now, outside of Ovechkin, Semin, and Green, theres no one capable of putting the puck in the net with any regularity. Those 3 have been as inconsistent as it gets this year. Those guys need to step up their game or we will be done in the 1st round.

Also, going back to the mentally fragile part, it seems when our goalies arent getting the run support they need, they crumble under that pressure. They are pretty much symbolic of whats wrong with this team, but they arent the core issue.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Wow. The way Dreger was playing it up all day that they were gonna throw the hammer down. Not so much.

Yeah its pretty much a joke. Jumping off bench to defend your goaltender 10 games. Trying to severely injure two opponents earns you less.

Leaving the bench to start/join a fight needs to be a stiff penalty. You can't have folks leaving the bench to get in altercations without some sort of tough consequence to go along with it. That is a worse offense than your alleged "trying to severely injure two opponents" angle.

Yeah its pretty much a joke. Jumping off bench to defend your goaltender 10 games. Trying to severely injure two opponents earns you less.

Leaving the bench to start/join a fight needs to be a stiff penalty. You can't have folks leaving the bench to get in altercations without some sort of tough consequence to go along with it. That is a worse offense than your alleged "trying to severely injure two opponents" angle.

Im not saying leaving the bench shouldnt be a harsh penalty, I have no complaints about Godard getting the mandatory 10 games. Is it worse then the two hits in question, imo, not at all.

Exactly. Penguins fans, you're still in the 5 year zone. We'll let you know when you're allowed to bitch about your team. Just ask, Devils fans.

Oh thanks, nothing like having to wait on a scorn, bitter, and distraught fan of a rival to tell all of us when we have permission to speak freely.

It's not just me, dude. Speak freely, but you have zero reason to complain. A lot of other fanbases would love to be in the position (recent Stanley Cup, 4th in the conference, the best player in the world is on the roster) the Penguins are in right now. Your fans' immediate complaining when one thing doesn't go your way is incredibly annoying, and I'm not the only one irked by it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Exactly. Penguins fans, you're still in the 5 year zone. We'll let you know when you're allowed to bitch about your team. Just ask, Devils fans.

Oh thanks, nothing like having to wait on a scorn, bitter, and distraught fan of a rival to tell all of us when we have permission to speak freely.

It's not just me, dude. Speak freely, but you have zero reason to complain. A lot of other fanbases would love to be in the position (recent Stanley Cup, 4th in the conference, the best player in the world is on the roster) the Penguins are in right now. Your fans' immediate complaining when one thing doesn't go your way is incredibly annoying, and I'm not the only one irked by it.

I didnt see any complaining, Maz makes a comment about the Pens injury situation and then you and Hedley jump head first into the Hate Pittsburgh pool, then are trying to turn it around on us. Most of the bitching I see regarding Pittsburgh seems to stem from yours and others hate for the city.

Why not have some cheese with your whine because the Pens do no wrong.... Your dip :censored: goalie decides to skate out and engage Haley. He wants to be a tough guy then throw down. He comes out like he wants to go and since he can supposedly handle himself Goddard should have stayed planted on the bench. Goddard's just a goon always has been and always will be and he deserved the 10 games. Talbot goes and slashes the goalie then turtles when challenged on it and all this after the blindside hit on Comeau in the last game they played. Tell you what the Pens are far from innocent in all this.

My team may be a doormat and a joke but the Pens keep showing they're a classless organization.

My team may be a doormat and a joke but the Pens keep showing they're a classless organization.

haters gonna hate

no one on the Penguins is a dirty scumbag except Matt Cooke and he didn't even play that game

enjoy your team moving to Kansas City or Winnipeg or Quebec in the next couple years

1zgyd8w.jpg

haters gonna hate

no one on the Penguins is a dirty scumbag except Matt Cooke and he didn't even play that game

enjoy your team moving to Kansas City or Winnipeg or Quebec in the next couple years

You stay classy, Pittsburgh Penguin fans...

OK, I'm going to be "that guy". Right now, the Penguins are fielding an AHL lineup. They have reason to be concerned about their season. Godard deserved what he got, but from what I saw (as an extreme Penguins hater), the biggest joke of all was Gillies only getting 9 games. The guy jumped with his elbow into the guys head, when he goes down, Gillies throws his gloves off and punches the prone player several times. Thats dirty, cowardly and there is no room for that in this game. Thats an easy 15 gamer, if the NHL had any balls whatsoever.

Mario weighs in:

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

You gainfully employ Matt Cooke. Shut. Your. Hole.

Mario weighs in:

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

You gainfully employ Matt Cooke. Shut. Your. Hole.

That's one reason I could never be a journalist, as I would've asked snidely...

"Awww, and did you write that all by yourself, Mario?"

Archived