2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Interrupting Ice Cap's broken record for a second....

Mock me all you want, people aren't watching....

Southern Expansion has its ups and downs, Atlanta and Florida are the abject failures of this policy. Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, Carolina are obviously success stories. Good franchises with Cups, and strong fanbases.

Basically what I'm saying is that you cant point at Florida and Atlantas ratings and scream failure at the entire policy.

I'm not using Atlanta and Florida's ratings to condemn all of the southern teams. I'm using them to condemn Atlanta and Florida.

Mock me all you want....

Well, now that i have permission....

Hold on a second. I have to think. When was it exactly that I ran over your puppy?

Make all the wisecracks you want. Make all the snide remarks you want. At the end of the day the numbers are on my side. Not every southern team is the brilliant success story you seem to want them to be. No one's watching Panthers or Thrashers games. No one's going to Coyotes games.

Is every southern team a failure? No. They're not all success stories though. There have been franchises that have failed spectacularly. Why this is so hard for you to admit eludes me but 3,000-6,000 homes a night and half empty arenas at best aren't the signs of a healthy franchise.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, Carolina are obviously success stories.

No they aren't. The only success story for Nashville is that they stopped being owned by a felon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Mock me all you want, people aren't watching....

Southern Expansion has its ups and downs, Atlanta and Florida are the abject failures of this policy. Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, Carolina are obviously success stories. Good franchises with Cups, and strong fanbases.

Basically what I'm saying is that you cant point at Florida and Atlantas ratings and scream failure at the entire policy.

I'm not using Atlanta and Florida's ratings to condemn all of the southern teams. I'm using them to condemn Atlanta and Florida.

I dont think anyone would disagree in that line of thinking. But I think alot of fans up north, particularly Canadian fans like to point their fingers at the entire policy being a failure and a dredge on the league. Atlanta and Florida dont even really try, Phoenix trips over its own feet so much its hard to consider them even close to being a viable franchise.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Matt Cooke with a boarding major in tonight's game. Yeah, that's a clean player...

Just for clarification it was a charging major

Which, to me, is worse than a boarding major. When you get called for charging (especially in the NHL), there's definitely intent there.

6fQjS3M.png

No they aren't. The only success story for Nashville is that they stopped being owned by a felon.

Out of those 4 teams, 3 have Cups. Nashville has a strong fanbase and while they dont play well in the playoffs, they still average over 15K a game. Its not Montreal or Boston or Pittsburgh for that matter, its still solid numbers for Hockey in Nashville.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Matt Cooke with a boarding major in tonight's game. Yeah, that's a clean player...

Which, to me, is worse than a boarding major. When you get called for charging (especially in the NHL), there's definitely intent there.

Eh whatever. At least for me, tonight was a little revenge for the game back in December when the Penguins fans invaded Nationwide Arena and turned it into Consol Energy Center West. That was the worst game I've ever been to in 10 years of going to Blue Jackets games. I hope any CBJ fans in attendance behaved in the same jackassey and boorish way the Penguins fans behaved that night. Actually, I hope they were polite and respectful, teach the Guinos a lesson in how to compose yourselves.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Eh whatever. At least for me, tonight was a little revenge for the game back in December when the Penguins fans invaded Nationwide Arena and turned it into Consol Energy Center West. That was the worst game I've ever been to in 10 years of going to Blue Jackets games. I hope any CBJ fans in attendance behaved in the same jackassey and boorish way the Penguins fans behaved that night. Actually, I hope they were polite and respectful, teach the Guinos a lesson in how to compose yourselves.

Yeah exactly. Huge win tonight though, even without Malkin and Crosby. Huge game tomorrow night against San Jose.

6fQjS3M.png

238288618.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297222181&Signature=HsAB6BxP6BD5jVMnCHQjHoEgYHM%3D
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

FWIW, he gets the :censored: beat out of him in return game in and game out. He's no different than any of the other agitators out there...

oBIgzrL.png

Out of those 4 teams, 3 have Cups. Nashville has a strong fanbase and while they dont play well in the playoffs, they still average over 15K a game. Its not Montreal or Boston or Pittsburgh for that matter, its still solid numbers for Hockey in Nashville.

Having won a championship does not validate anything beyond what the team did on the ice. Also, Nashville papers the house like a birdcage. So do most cities.

Having won a championship does not validate anything beyond what the team did on the ice. Also, Nashville papers the house like a birdcage. So do most cities.

The fact that they can even get people in that building should be a show of success, the Panthers cannot even give away tickets.

As far as I know, winning championships make franchises a success, its not all attendance and TV ratings.

FWIW, he gets the :censored: beat out of him in return game in and game out. He's no different than any of the other agitators out there...

Oh I'm not gonna sit there and tell you he's that much worse than a lot of the other agitators, but he always seems to be the one brought up in the "dirtiest player" conversations because he puts himself there.

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah exactly. Huge win tonight though, even without Malkin and Crosby. Huge game tomorrow night against San Jose.

A game I just found out that I will be attending. Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy who knows hockey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh I'm not gonna sit there and tell you he's that much worse than a lot of the other agitators, but he always seems to be the one brought up in the "dirtiest player" conversations because he puts himself there.

He does his job and that's what he's paid for. And you know what, if you take him out of the game, someone's going to step up and take his place. Every team has a player who plays on the edge of what is considered to be clean. Hell defensemen defending the goal are actually the dirtiest players in the game and do things every shift that are way worse than what players like Matt Cooke, Sean Avery, Jussi Jokenin or whatever agitatiors do. Defensemen are probably the dirtiest players in the game, but why they aren't considered dirty players is they do subtle things that no one on tv sees. The best defensemen in the game, when defending in front of the net are brutally dirty. And I'm talking Hall of Famers.

A game I just found out that I will be attending. Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy who knows hockey.

Sweet. Hopefully it'll be as exciting tomorrow night as it was the last time we hosted San Jose in a playoff race (2009 - an overtime win over the then 1st-place Sharks. Best atmosphere I've ever been at Nationwide for).

6fQjS3M.png

As far as I know, winning championships make franchises a success, its not all attendance and TV ratings.

Well, no, but this is primarily a business-oriented approach to what works, and as such, championships can't be the last word in measuring the success of a niche sport. If the Whalers moved to an abandoned aircraft hangar in Dayton, Ohio, their 2006 championship would validate the decision to place a hockey team in an abandoned aircraft hangar in Dayton, Ohio only insofar as they didn't go out of business.

Archived