2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Matt Cooke is a little :censored:.

Yes. Yes he is.

Not saying Cooke's was clean, but if it wasn't any more dirty than Ovy's. If anything, they're the same.

Difference. Ovie led with shoulder, Cooke led with knee.

Sorry, I don't see the difference in the two hits. They're both equally dirty. Only through the homer glasses is one dirty and the other ok.

Not surprised Cooke didnt oblige Bradley after he got out of the box, maybe he was waiting for Johnny to fight that battle for him too?

Okay, you know as well as anyone that Cooke had no possible way of defending himself when the whole Islanders organization jumped him (which, DiPietro deserved it anyway since he "accidentally on purpose" was in the way). That's a whole different situation, really.

oBIgzrL.png

Not surprised Cooke didnt oblige Bradley after he got out of the box, maybe he was waiting for Johnny to fight that battle for him too?

Okay, you know as well as anyone that Cooke had no possible way of defending himself when the whole Islanders organization jumped him (which, DiPietro deserved it anyway since he "accidentally on purpose" was in the way). That's a whole different situation, really.

It was a snide remark, not entirely tongue in cheek but partially.

I was impressed with Johnnys left hook, however.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Forsberg is back!

Hopefully he will be healthy and productive.

The Brett Favre of hockey, minus the inappropriateness?

And Matt Cooke is a little :censored:.

Forsberg has never played when he couldn't.

The reason he has not played in the NHL since 2008? I did not feel he was healthy enough to play at the NHL level and be effective.

There are a lot of differences between Forsberg and Favre.

No not really. They are both a couple of athletes that don't know when to walk away after their careers are at the end. I figure, 10 games before Forsberg pulls a groin and we deal with hockey's version of 24/7 Favre, "Will he play or won't he play." For a guy who hasn't played on an elite level for what 2 years, I doubt he'll be effective except to get the Avs some publicity. Stop and think about the fact that this guy is not in hockey condition and has not played all year. He's not going to be anything more than a glorified 3rd liner.

Where he's going on waivers to the AHL, and then whenever the Ducks need him and/or think he's back into playing form, he will have to go onto re-entry waivers.

Who's to say he ever even puts on a Ducks jersey.

The Ducks really did need some veteran depth in goal, because the AHL goalies aren't performing up to expectations. And should Hiller ever go down with something more serious than his current sickness/fatigue, McElhinney and Pielmeier aren't the greatest of goalie teams to have in the nets.

So here's to hoping the Ducks never need Emery. But if they do here's to hoping he is 1) in shape, 2) gets through waivers, and 3) doesn't punch out the trainers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

From yesterday's Sports Business Journal

At the halfway point of its season, the NHL's local TV ratings in the United States are marked by the haves and the have-nots.

The biggest traditional U.S. hockey markets have seen strong growth and big audiences, but the sport still seems to be struggling on TV in the Sun Belt.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are drawing the biggest local TV audiences leaguewide, with an average of 105,000 homes watching the team's games on FSN Pittsburgh through the All-Star break. The rest of the league's leaders for ratings and viewership are mainly teams in cold-weather markets, including Boston, Chicago and Detroit.

Conversely, teams in warm-weather markets dominate the bottom of the NHL's local TV chart. An average of 3,000 homes watch Panthers games on FS Florida, and an average of 6,000 homes watch Thrashers games on FS South and SportSouth.

I know that TV ratings are measured on a fairly antiquated system, but only 3,000 households/game?

Interrupting Ice Cap's broken record for a second, the number out of all the stats on that linked page that jumps out at me is this one:

San Jose CSN California -27%

Ratings down more than a quarter from last year. The only logical reason I can think of is that Dish dropped CSN-CA until recently but I can't imagine there are that many Dish subscribers. Has the bar been set so high by the team that, if they aren't in first place, the fans don't watch?

Interrupting Ice Cap's broken record for a second, the number out of all the stats on that linked page that jumps out at me is this one:

San Jose CSN California -27%

Ratings down more than a quarter from last year. The only logical reason I can think of is that Dish dropped CSN-CA until recently but I can't imagine there are that many Dish subscribers. Has the bar been set so high by the team that, if they aren't in first place, the fans don't watch?

Also remember that the first month of the season, the Giants were in the MLB playoffs so fan focus could have been moved there as well as the DISH issues with CSN California.

Interrupting Ice Cap's broken record for a second....

Mock me all you want, people aren't watching....

Southern Expansion has its ups and downs, Atlanta and Florida are the abject failures of this policy. Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, Carolina are obviously success stories. Good franchises with Cups, and strong fanbases.

Basically what I'm saying is that you cant point at Florida and Atlantas ratings and scream failure at the entire policy.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Interrupting Ice Cap's broken record for a second....

Mock me all you want

Well, now that i have permission....

Edit: You realize that I don't necessarily have a problem with a lot of the things you say, it is the amount of times you repeat them. It's fine that you don't like the teams in the South. Phoenix is a mess, Florida's attendance sucks, Tampa stole your favorite teams color scheme, etc. But you don't have to pop in with it at every opportunity. You can, you just don't have to.

Archived