2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Ugh... the Stars lost today, but the Sharks crap the bed against the bad Panthers. 2 straight losses against non playoff teams. At least the Devils have talent and are hot, but the Panthers? Hopefully this isn't the start of something really bad for them.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mario weighs in:

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

You gainfully employ Matt Cooke. Shut. Your. Hole.

Exactly. Because the Penguins are all of mommy's little angels and would never otherwise engage in fighting or a cheap shot here and there right?

Jordan Staal got ejected a couple of Mondays ago vs. the Rangers for sucker punching Brandon Prust (granted he got a little cheap shot in too) but the league didn't do anything beyond that. Was that a travesty then? I guess not b/c Mario signs the checks.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I think Mario's right. It's unfortunate that he signs Matt Cooke's checks because people will only focus on the hypocrisy of what he's saying and disregard the actual message. Refusing to allow any kind of this behavior to continue on his own team would be the first step, though who's to say he hasn't already let his team know about how he feels. The message above could've just as easily been directed towards his guys as it was to the league as a whole.

In other news, Blue Jackets beat Dallas 2-1 for their 5th straight road win and their 6th out of their last 7. Watch these guys pull their heads out of their asses just in time to finish 9th in the conference.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think Mario's right. It's unfortunate that he signs Matt Cooke's checks because people will only focus on the hypocrisy of what he's saying and disregard the actual message. Refusing to allow any kind of this behavior to continue on his own team would be the first step, though who's to say he hasn't already let his team know about how he feels. The message above could've just as easily been directed towards his guys as it was to the league as a whole.

No doubt, Marios right. Just wish he'd practice what he preaches. What we saw wasnt hockey. IMO he should just accept the punishments doled out and move on. Its for us, the fans, to complain about it. He should be above the fray.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

For once, the Ducks don't play like crap against a lowly team and get a nice 4-0 shootout win against the Oilers. Selanne also scored his 100th career GWG.

Hiller was able to get a feel for things again and appears to have recovered from his fatigue. Tonight's win also finally brings the Ducks' Goals Difference in the standings out of the minuses :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

For once, the Ducks don't play like crap against a lowly team and get a nice 4-0 shootout win against the Oilers. Selanne also scored his 100th career GWG.

Hiller was able to get a feel for things again and appears to have recovered from his fatigue. Tonight's win also finally brings the Ducks' Goals Difference in the standings out of the minuses :D

Selanne's 100th GWG makes him the 6th player in NHL history to do so. (Gordie Howe, Phil Esposito, Jaromir Jagr, Brett Hull, and Brendan Shanahan are the others. Pretty good company)

Lowest shot total by opponent in a shutout in franchise history (Oilers had 12 shots)

3rd time in franchise history that they have swept a roadtrip of at least 4 games

And now only 2 points behind Dallas for the Pacific lead. Things are definitely looking up in Anaheim. There was no way in hell to expect this at the beginning of the season, but I am loving every second.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I really wish someone would pull a Mike Milbury and beat a fan with a shoe again. I'd love to see the public reaction.

This was not aimed at any CCSLC member. I would honestly just be interested in seeing how the world responds to such an interesting event.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

No doubt, Marios right. Just wish he'd practice what he preaches. What we saw wasnt hockey. IMO he should just accept the punishments doled out and move on. Its for us, the fans, to complain about it. He should be above the fray.

I've always viewed Mario as a fraud. Yes, he may be a great hockey player, but he's got the arrogance about him that he is better than everyone else, especially as an owner. Sure, what went down against the Islanders, wasn't exactly a graceful hockey game. But I hate to tell you this Mario, honestly games like that are more talked about than any of your hat tricks. Heck, I can't even remember a great Mario Lemieux game where he was the star of the game. I doubt anyone could. Yet, many people can remember the Broadstreet Bullies and even the game where Mike Milbury hit a fan with his shoe. Throw on top of that, yes, it is hypocritical for him to employ a player who tries to injure other players, because if it wasn't for Matt Cooke, then Friday night probably wouldn't have happened. It was Matt Cooke running into Dipietro that started that fracas. But then again, remember that Mario was a teammate of one of the dirtiest players in the game in Ulf Sammuelsson who injured Cam Neely with ironically a knee on knee hit. So obviously we know that Mario Lemieux has no problems with his teammates or his players taking out stars of the NHL with knee on knee hits. Mario Lemieux, such a stand up guy. Not even close, he's a fraud!

I've always viewed Mario as a fraud. Yes, he may be a great hockey player, but he's got the arrogance about him that he is better than everyone else, especially as an owner. Sure, what went down against the Islanders, wasn't exactly a graceful hockey game. But I hate to tell you this Mario, honestly games like that are more talked about than any of your hat tricks. Heck, I can't even remember a great Mario Lemieux game where he was the star of the game. I doubt anyone could. Yet, many people can remember the Broadstreet Bullies and even the game where Mike Milbury hit a fan with his shoe. Throw on top of that, yes, it is hypocritical for him to employ a player who tries to injure other players, because if it wasn't for Matt Cooke, then Friday night probably wouldn't have happened. It was Matt Cooke running into Dipietro that started that fracas. But then again, remember that Mario was a teammate of one of the dirtiest players in the game in Ulf Sammuelsson who injured Cam Neely with ironically a knee on knee hit. So obviously we know that Mario Lemieux has no problems with his teammates or his players taking out stars of the NHL with knee on knee hits. Mario Lemieux, such a stand up guy. Not even close, he's a fraud!

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud, but I would think that he's remembered fondly by the media as the East Coast's version of Wayne Gretzky has something to do with it. Even at his best, he could never match up to The Great One.

He put up like 112 points while fighting cancer. Both of you are knobs.

Yeah exactly.

And oddball's claim he can't remember a great Mario Lemieux game in which he was the star in... You seriously haven't heard or know about the 5 goals in 5 ways?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrP3rXhTuU

I really wish someone would pull a Mike Milbury and beat a fan with a shoe again. I'd love to see the public reaction.

Whereas I just wish someone would beat Mike Milbury with a shoe. Say, is he going to be in Millennium Park for the big Hockey Day in America thing next Sunday? I've got steel-toes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I said I wouldn't call him a fraud. I could make the case that he's slightly overrated perhaps, but not a fraud. My biggest issue, and perhaps it was from watching Gretzky (so it was like, been-there-done-that), is that statistically-speaking and in terms of his natural talent, I never saw him dominate the way Gretzky did in his prime. So people who try to use that argument, always use the excuse "well, if he hadn't had cancer, or been injury, then he would've had all of Gretzky's records." Well, the fact is, he didn't, so live with it. Plus, he wasn't some transcendent talent like a Michael Jordan or Jim Brown was in their craft, who despite not being statistically-dominant in their respective sports, are usually considered the best of all-time.

Mario Lemeiux is a fine hockey player, but he's certainly not Gretzky, or even Orr or Howe. It's just my opinion though.

I said I wouldn't call him a fraud. I could make the case that he's slightly overrated perhaps, but not a fraud. My biggest issue, and perhaps it was from watching Gretzky (so it was like, been-there-done-that), is that statistically-speaking and in terms of his natural talent, I never saw him dominate the way Gretzky did in his prime. So people who try to use that argument, always use the excuse "well, if he hadn't had cancer, or been injury, then he would've had all of Gretzky's records." Well, the fact is, he didn't, so live with it. Plus, he wasn't some transcendent talent like a Michael Jordan or Jim Brown was in their craft, who despite not being statistically-dominant in their respective sports, are usually considered the best of all-time.

Mario Lemeiux is a fine hockey player, but he's certainly not Gretzky, or even Orr or Howe. It's just my opinion though.

I do see where you're coming from, but man, look at those numbers in his prime. And then he comes out after missing a season and two-thirds with cancer and back surgery, and puts up 161 points. And I'd argue his putting up 91 in 67 games at age 37 with a 27-55 festering cesspool of a team in the heart of clutch-and-trap era is just as impressive. Or perhaps you prefer his 76 in 43 games coming right out of a 3-1/2 year retirement. Pretty transcendent stuff in my book.

It seems like the biggest things against Lemieux are the injuries/cancer, playing a large chunk of his career in Gretzky's shadow, and playing significantly less time in the era of firewagon hockey and sieve goalies. He's up there with the all-timers as far as I'm concerned.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I do see where you're coming from, but man, look at those numbers in his prime. And then he comes out after missing a season and two-thirds with cancer and back surgery, and puts up 161 points. And I'd argue his putting up 91 in 67 games at age 37 with a 27-55 festering cesspool of a team in the heart of clutch-and-trap era is just as impressive. Or perhaps you prefer his 76 in 43 games coming right out of a 3-1/2 year retirement. Pretty transcendent stuff in my book.

It seems like the biggest things against Lemieux are the injuries/cancer, playing a large chunk of his career in Gretzky's shadow, and playing significantly less time in the era of firewagon hockey and sieve goalies. He's up there with the all-timers as far as I'm concerned.

It's very respectable, and perhaps I'd place him either right at or outside the Top Five hockey players of all time in my book, but when it comes down to it, if you want to be remembered as the best, you have to beat and outplay the best in your era. In a way, the Gretzky/Lemeiux Era in hockey is much like the Brady/Manning Era in football - both are great talents, but one is slightly above the other in terms of championships and sheer/consistent quality throughout their career. However, I'm putting aside the whole "championships-won" argument for this discussion.

It was 69 goals in 70 games for the post-cancer season? Good God. That's okay, I was only off by 54 points lol Mario Lemieux is one of the best hockey players of all time you guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Selanne's 100th GWG makes him the 6th player in NHL history to do so. (Gordie Howe, Phil Esposito, Jaromir Jagr, Brett Hull, and Brendan Shanahan are the others. Pretty good company)

Lowest shot total by opponent in a shutout in franchise history (Oilers had 12 shots)

3rd time in franchise history that they have swept a roadtrip of at least 4 games

And now only 2 points behind Dallas for the Pacific lead. Things are definitely looking up in Anaheim. There was no way in hell to expect this at the beginning of the season, but I am loving every second.

No, you're tied for it. It should've been a 3 way tie but we blew it.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Hell, even the guys broadcasting on MSG said it looked like DiPietro initiated contact.

No, you're tied for it. It should've been a 3 way tie but we blew it.

See, I thought that's what it was, but none of the standings were updated when I posted and I couldn't remember what the hell the point total was before Friday.

I went to Vegas this weekend and kinda shut myself out from the outside world for a while and just partied haha.

But yeah, even better.

Archived