Denver Broncos WR Kenny McKinley Passes Away

ADW77

I just read this in the last hour and have to say I've never been as shocked to hear of an athlete's death as this one.

Not just because he was a fellow alumnus, but because of the type of person he was. So many times you see a great player and have to accept that there is some bad that may come along with it- maybe he is a thug with no true goals, maybe he gets into some trouble while in school, maybe missed classes and gets suspension, etc etc...so many good players seem to come with "issues". Not this guy. He was such a genuinely good guy- always carried a smile and a positive attitude where he went and would speak to anyone passing by on campus.

Suicide is something I will never understand and I personally can't accept or have much sympathy for. It just puts a lot into perspective when you have a guy that had a successful college career, is getting paid millions in the NFL, and except for injuries issues...has everything in life going for him overall- yet, he is able to take his own life.

The Gamecock nation will certainly miss you Kenny and, somehow beyond my understanding, I hope this soothed whatever pains you were facing.

EDIT: My apologies, I realize this should probably be in the General Sports forum and someone else had beat me to it.

(thanks)

I had a long dinner with Kenny and Sidney Rice and a couple of other buddies in college and will never forget that now. The dinner and meet up was totally random, but he was calm and collected as any person I had ever met before- I knew he had a great future ahead of him.

RIP Kenny

I won't speculate on his motives or anything and I didn't know him personally, but Kenny was electric at Carolina and always put on a hell of a show. I'm sorry to see him go.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I created a thread on this in the Lounge (which was Graveyarded instead of merged/copied- which was kind of classless, if you ask me), and the whole Gamecock nation is feeling this one.

Respect for the dead and all, but isn't that the most fitting possible tribute?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I created a thread on this in the Lounge (which was Graveyarded instead of merged/copied- which was kind of classless, if you ask me), and the whole Gamecock nation is feeling this one.

Don't know who did it. I can likely assure you know ill-will was intended however. Just simple forum maintenance.

Regardless, I've merged the topic for you.

As far as McKinley goes, death is tragic, and because he had the opportunity to touch so many lives even if it was in a really minute way, I'm sure there's a lot of people a little shaken by this. I tend to be by any death, let alone a seemingly healthy athlete who was practically my age. I wasn't familiar with McKinley even by name, but I hate to see things like this.

Don't know who did it. I can likely assure you know ill-will was intended however. Just simple forum maintenance.

Regardless, I've merged the topic for you.

As far as McKinley goes, death is tragic, and because he had the opportunity to touch so many lives even if it was in a really minute way, I'm sure there's a lot of people a little shaken by this. I tend to be by any death, let alone a seemingly healthy athlete who was practically my age. I wasn't familiar with McKinley even by name, but I hate to see things like this.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was a pure lack of class or taste, or just someone immediately sending an identical thread to the GY.

No obligatory CCSLC farewell yet for the former Gamecock? ....or would that one be too easy for y'all?

Today, we are all wide receivers on Injured Reserve...

Happy?

I'm NOT! I have dealt with more death in my family than I wish. Death isn't a subject to be taken lightly of! I got IRATE watching ESPN after the game tonight. In the "countdown" they kept teasing the story, but went to the coaches pressers. I'm sure ESPN told them to not talk about the situation. The reason I say that is because the story kept dropping... I could've easily jumped on here and checked it out, BUT, I wanted to see how the 4 letter handled it! They barely did. They didn't know that there were people out there with major thoughts in their heads. To "Tease" that and drop it time and again is not cool!

To those on here, I feel your pain. I send my love, prayers, and thoughts!

Kyle

packchampionslfroh.png

No obligatory CCSLC farewell yet for the former Gamecock? ....or would that one be too easy for y'all?

Today, we are all wide receivers on Injured Reserve...

Happy?

Close, so I'll give it to you.

"Oh my god, they killed Kenny!" would've also been acceptable.

6uXNWAo.png

The guy chose to take his life. It's not that much of a tragedy.

I thoroughly disagree. In an age where the true effects of head injuries in sports are finally being seen for what they really are, there is a very real possibility that there was more going on than that he was just another depressed athlete.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I thoroughly disagree. In an age where the true effects of head injuries in sports are finally being seen for what they really are, there is a very real possibility that there was more going on than that he was just another depressed athlete.

That's the scary thing.

But best not to get ahead of ourselves. I find all these public outpourings of shared grief to be in extremely poor taste, but accept that it's something some people need to work through.

So let's get past this period, let him rest in peace, and maybe find out if football killed him. That seems to me to be the best tribute we can pay.

That's the scary thing.

But best not to get ahead of ourselves. I find all these public outpourings of shared grief to be in extremely poor taste, but accept that it's something some people need to work through.

So let's get past this period, let him rest in peace, and maybe find out if football killed him. That seems to me to be the best tribute we can pay.

It's a tragedy either way. It's sad that someone felt that it had to come to this. Is it the best way to handle problems? No. But it's still said that he felt this kind of pain. Not to mention tragic for those that cared about him.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Close, so I'll give it to you.

"Oh my god, they killed Kenny!" would've also been acceptable.

Today, we're all 'Cocks.

Never a truer statement.

^_^

Perhaps this one hits a little closer to home to me than other recent athlete deaths because McKinley played at SC while I was also a student there, but have you ever stopped to consider that threads about deceased athletes wouldn't really miss your sarcasm and lack of class if you decided to stop trolling them? I find it incredible you took the time and energy to post three separate entries in this thread, since each occasion apparently required pulling your head out of your ass to do it.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived